Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

OT: Mastercam and SSD Drives - How to setup

Brian B 74

I just got a new box yesterday.  Xeon E5-1650 CPU, 32Gb DDR4 RAM, Quadro K4200 video, 256GB SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD.  Win 7 Pro

My question - to utilize the SSD - is there a special setup on the installation of Mastercam?  Do I put all the files on the SSD?  Or some on the HDD to save space?

Yes and if there is any issue with the windows and you need to format that drive again your main files that are big are safe on the other drive with NO OS on it to get corrupted.

This how I run my laptops dual SSD one for Software and other for files. Desktop I use my servers to work from but like this desk top has 3 SSDs on it two in Raid 0 and one stand alone.

Do you have to do off course not but you may agree with my thoughts. I have used this logic for many years has saved me.

Not just a mastercam thing but in general:

Use an SSD optimizer app.

I have a samsung SSD, they have a Samsung Magician software that optimizes the performance of the SSD and sets all the setting in windows for you.

Also make sure you plug it into a 6G sata port and not a 3G by accident!

Or if your really ballin out get 2 and run in raid 0 for double the speed!

IMHO putting your Mastercam files on a HHD is going to slow things down.  Depends on your file size though I guess.  I work on a local copy of everything on the SSD and sync with the server when I'm done.  This provides an additional layer of backup too.  If I accidentally open the server copy I notice loading, saving and posting are all much slower.  I'm not absolutely certain but I think toolpath generation is slower that way too.

Once the file is loaded it is on the local drive and computer. so it being on another drive that is not as fast is not and issue really. I have had real good luck with my Gigabit network to get files into Mastercam never really wait much at all. The saving and loading will not be as fast but really how much are you really doing that. I do it about every 20 min.in the back round as a Autosave.

On my laptops I have two main ones for me a 17" and and it's little sister were I run dual ssd drive one has the OS and software and the other keeps customer files and other important files. this for when I am out of the office.

Just like everything else in the computing world, "it all depends on how and where you use it." If Mastercam handles files like other modeling software; once it's loaded into memory, it won't be accessing the original file location except to save. SOoooo, storing data on a old school mechanical HDD won't slow you down unless it's an enormous file. The average Joe using smaller model files shouldn't see much difference in the file transfer; ASSUMING that you're using a SATA II or III drive and not an ATA33 on a ribbon cable =P

If your looking for super speed for all transfers and $$$$ isn't an issue; 2 SSD's in RAID0 and another set of 2 in RAID0; then mirror one array onto the other (RAID10) for basic redundancy. Not all motherboards can handle mirroring one array to another so a 6GBs RAID adapter is not a bad idea if your data is critical. A mid-range one used to cost north of $600.00, but these days a decent one can be had for a couple hundred.

Overkill answer for the question that was asked, but I thought some folks might want info about RAID since I've seen it mentioned in a couple other threads.

If you want to know a bit more about RAID types and what it does, here's a link to a very informational PDF from ADAPTEC .

http://www.adaptec.com/nr/pdfs/intro_raid.pdf

Here's a link to a well liked SSD benchmarking utility if any of you like to tinker with that sort of thing. I'm a bit of a hardware nerd.

http://crystalmark.info/download/index-e.html