Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Appealing to All Professional CNC Programmers

Point toolpath will be a quick and dirty way to get it done. Can be done with 3D contour if you draw the lines. Can use Transform to step over the broaching amount once the seed operation is done.

Pretty straight forward to broach on a CNC Mill. Don't forget to M19 your Spindle before starting. Not S0, but M19 to orient the Spindle.

HTH(Hope that Helps)

Welcome to the forum.

I feel there is gotta be a better way ( no pun Intended)...

I found this on the almighty internet but it doesn't work, I am sure is a good start ...

N9 G20
N11 G00 G17 G90 G54 X0. Y0.
N13 T7 M6
N15 M19
N17 G43 H7 Z1.
N19 M8
N21 Z.1
N23 G1 Z-1. F10.
N25 G19 G02 Y-.1 J-.002 K0.
N27 G00 Z3.
N29 G91 G28 Z0. M9
N31 G28 Y0.
N33 M30

Thanks

Better way in how. Pretty simple thing to broach. You need a Position move to put the broach where you want it. Cannot cut all the material in one pass with broaching. You need to step it over and a lot of factors come into play here. Material you are cutting, the material you are using for the broach, the type of shape you are cutting, is it a blind or is it a thru, and etc.....

I deal with a lot of people who keep trying to reinvent the wheel. Guess what the wheel is still the best thing to move something from point A to point B. What they are still used on cars.

Thanks Ron for your comment .

I am looking for some codes that would point me in the right direction.

My keyway is pretty straight forward and right thru a 2" plate

post-54423-0-05885100-1438105745_thumb.png

I get the concept  and I know what needs to be  done I just don't know how.

I was hoping somebody would have a template of a working program that I can modify.

Thanks

N9 G20
N11 G00 G17 G90 G54 X0. Y.74
N13 T7 M6
N15 M19
N17 G43 H7 Z1.
N19 M8
N21 Z.1
N23 G1 Z-1. F10.
N25 G0 Y.64
Z.1
Y.745
G1Z-1.
G0Y.64
Z.1
Y.750
G1Z-1.
G0Y.64
Z.1
Y.755
G1Z-1.
G0Y.64
Z.1
Y.760
G1Z-1.
G0Y.64
Z.1
Y.765
G1Z-1.
G0Y.64
Z.1
Y.770
G0Y.64
Z.1
G91 G28 Z0. M9
G28 Y0.
M30

That is taking what you put up and less than 5 minutes worth of editing to get you out to .770. Machinist Handbook has the correct place you need to be for clearance. I was writing this by hand back in the late 80's. You need to take some basic programming classes.

Use at your own risk. 5th Axis Consulting takes no responsibility for errors or problems from this example.

I never broached on a Haas, but I've read elsewhere that with spindle off it's a lot of force on the ceramic bearings or something.  Somebody want to clarify?

Yeah, If you turn your VMC into a broaching machine the spindle is gonna be shot soon...  Once every now and then in aluminum or soft steel ain't no problem.

To answer your question, spindle bearings are meant to be used while in motion.  You can put flat spots on the balls, or dent the races.

Haas Doesn't use ceramic

Rstewart, the VFOE I ran in the early 2000's had ceramic bearings. it was the neatest thing to see the static charge build and jump from the cutter to the graphite trodes because the head wasn't grounded as well due to the ceramic bearings.

Opps, I should say the cutting tool to the head wasn't grounded.

Thanks Ron for your comment .

I am looking for some codes that would point me in the right direction.

My keyway is pretty straight forward and right thru a 2" plate

attachicon.gifkeyway.PNG

I get the concept  and I know what needs to be  done I just don't know how.

I was hoping somebody would have a template of a working program that I can modify.

Thanks

What I would say is don't do it.

Yes you can drill first to get most of the mtl out, but 2" plate!!!

That is a heck of a length of mtl to push through. 

We've done it on small flanges and it works well, but 2" is a lot of force loaded right on your bearings, even at a couple of thou stepover/cut.

• Like 1