Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Level Names

tlarue

Are you merging into an existing part or opening the file into an empty session of MC?

The importing of DWG/DXF layer names as Mastercam level names is intentional

From what we've gathered over the years, users don't want to lose that naming information.

The import feature is one that needs updating. You are correct that we don't want to loose names but also we would like to be able to specify what level we import the geometry to.

• Like 2

As a semi-workaround to the problem...  You could import whatever geometry you're wanting into a new file first, change the layer names to what you want them to be and then import them into the existing file...  Or start programming on much higher levels as most people tend to work on the lower levels and that way imported geom won't be brought to the layers you're using, giving you the chance to rename and move the geom where you want.

I have a MCX file in X9 with geometry on levels 1 and 2.

When I merge in a DWG file, the new geometry gets put on levels 3, 4, and 5.

The names and entities on levels 1 and 2 are unchanged.

The names and entities on levels 3, 4, and 5 match the names and entities of the 3 named levels in the DWG file.

I'd be more than happy to look at an example you have ... please send the original MCX file and a sample DWG file to me ([email protected]) and I'll check it out.

Pete, now try that with a stp, x_t, sldprt or any other format. In my experience that hasn't been the way this gets handled. I just had one the other day that overwrote my level names. It doesn't insert them on open levels. I still think we should have the option on where to put it when we are importing it.

When I import it skips the levels I use but I also use higher numbers any way. I use 1 thru 100 for machine and fixture solids/geo, 100 thru 199 for setup one, 200 thru 299 for setup 2 etc. I have not had anything overwritten that I've noticed. However I would like the option to force imports to one level and name that level whether it's a dwg, dxf or solid file. Often times I get assemblies that I have to work on multiple parts. I'll import the assembly to one level then copy the parts to new levels one at a time while I work on them. I like being able to reference the assembly.

In summation I'd like the option to name one level on import and have the entire import go to that level.

Pete, now try that with a stp, x_t, sldprt or any other format. In my experience that hasn't been the way this gets handled. I just had one the other day that overwrote my level names. It doesn't insert them on open levels. I still think we should have the option on where to put it when we are importing it.

I believe this is a affected by the source of the file and how it was exported.

I have some files that come in with the filename on every level that has geometry

some come in with noting at all

Most Sandvik t DXF tool files come in with a bunch of levels named with numerals and a CUT and NOCUT level.

A lot of this behavior is the result of the software that created the file and the setting checked when it was exported IMO

In my opinion file format shouldn't matter. I should have the ability to place it on the level of my choosing when importing. By having the option it would save time by not forcing me to move it to the correct level and change the level name back after import. I will send in an example next time I come across one.

Please send me an example when you can ... I'm curious too as to what the 'option' is that you would want. And whether its what others would want. Which means multiple options ... which makes the software even harder to use.

The option I'm talking about is simple. When you are importing have a way to select what level or levels the geometry is imported to. For example, if you are importing one solid you have a box much the same as "change levels" where you can select where to put it. If you are importing an assembly that level would be the first level, say solid #1 goes onto level 100. solid #2 goes on level 100 +1 or level 101 and so on. Not sure why limiting options would make the software easier to use in your eyes. The more control we have the better and faster we can do our jobs.