Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Old School Swarf and New Swarf?

crazy^millman

Quote myself here on creating the points with a minor modification.

I use the create/point/segment I normally use 10 points on each entity, line, arc or spline.

When you go by entity the toolpath is supposed to line the center line of the tool with the start and end of the entity. Most times that works great, but you will run into some odd shapes that is does not. The number is the same for the upper and lower chains, but it gets out of sync and does some weird stuff. By creating the same number of points on the upper and lower chains on each entity the toolpaths then uses them to align the tool to the same point on the top and the same point on the bottom of the chain. Now as it goes through the cut it keeps the tool aligned perfectly. Again most times there is no need to sync to this level, but sometimes there are and that is where these old school toolpaths really shine.

The part I am cutting is wonky. It has walls normal to the the top and normal to the floor around the dome surface, but then it has a boss right in the center of the rib towards the bottom of the dome not normal to the floor. It has a .187 Fillet in the corner all the way around the rib. It feathers off at the end. I could surface machine part of it and break it up, but with a little bit of work this will look really nice and be done in one operation.

GTH (glad to help)

• Like 1

I could surface machine part of it and break it up, but with a little bit of work this will look really nice and be done in one operation.

GTH (glad to help)

Yes always searching for the elegant solution. I have to give this a try. I've been using new swarf  because i dont have the "DEEP" knowledge you do. I would've never seen those options in chaining upper and lower curves on classic swarf. Thank you I'll be playing around with this.

Yes always searching for the elegant solution. I have to give this a try. I've been using new swarf  because i dont have the "DEEP" knowledge you do. I would've never seen those options in chaining upper and lower curves on classic swarf. Thank you I'll be playing around with this.

You can see it after you have create the tool path by going back into the chain manager there is sync by drop down. Also if you click on the expiation point in the chain manger before you pick your chains you can pick the sync method in there. I am working some different things to help those who do 5 Axis work. Don't really have any spare time right know, but something I want to finish up to help those who do 5 Axis work. Karlo Apro wrote a book on the secrets of 5 Axis Machining. A good book well written with pictures, methods and ideas. There is always the forum to ask question and throw up sample files for someone to look at. We can't be working side by side so the sample file like what you are doing helps. Don't be afraid to fail! The people considered the doers get out and try and do things. All I have ever done just try and not give up until I have a solution to the problem.

• 5 months later...

In the old school SWARF, there is a setting to control Z depth under "Tip Control" that allowed a "Distance Above Lower Rail" that I could set to -.050" on a open surface.

I don't see a way to easily control that in the new SWARF milling?

I'm hoping I don't have to build new surfaces and new wireframe geometry just to push the depth .050" deeper?

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

In the old school SWARF, there is a setting to control Z depth under "Tip Control" that allowed a "Distance Above Lower Rail" that I could set to -.050" on a open surface.

I don't see a way to easily control that in the new SWARF milling?

I'm hoping I don't have to build new surfaces and new wireframe geometry just to push the depth .050" deeper?

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

yes I believe a negative value in distance above lower rail field

My bad...I need to learn how to read....on the new one I think you have to use a - stock on the control surf.

Yeah, that's no good tho... I was only using upper and lower rails on this part. I solved my problem by using push/pull on the solid and extending the area on the model that I'm machining.

Hey Reko - This is the thing I like the least with the new swarf, and it's really an issue of layout/design: I haven't figured out a better way to do it yet..

What you're looking for is on the "multiple cuts" under "tool guidance."  You'll find the shift there.  The reason it's under Multi Cuts is because one of the cool features of Swarf Milling is that you can have it gradually cut deeper for every depth (so you don't grind a notch in your tool if you're doing trimming, for example).  So if you set it to Gradual for each slice instead of Constant for each slice, you can transition from -.25 to -0.75 over over the course of the cut. 

The problem is, if I tried to move just the field for a constant shift over to the cut pattern page, then it would be confusing when you do a gradual shift (either one box is on one page, the second on another OR you have a duplicate "to" box both on Multi Cuts & Cut Pattern with all of the fun of 'which one is in control' that comes along with redundancy.).

All things considered, it's not really any worse than having it on the Collision Control page like the older Swarf, I guess.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

What you're looking for is on the "multiple cuts" under "tool guidance." 

All things considered, it's not really any worse than having it on the Collision Control page like the older Swarf, I guess.

Awesome... I actually like it there just fine... I just didn't see it and relate it to a Z depth.

One more thing... when I use the Multi-cuts, Depth Step... it respects the Entry/Exit, lead-in lead-out... but only on the first cut (entry) and exiting on the last cut (exit)... all of the cuts in between do not have a lead in lead out... am I missing a setting somewhere?

Thanks!

Awesome... I actually like it there just fine... I just didn't see it and relate it to a Z depth.

One more thing... when I use the Multi-cuts, Depth Step... it respects the Entry/Exit, lead-in lead-out... but only on the first cut (entry) and exiting on the last cut (exit)... all of the cuts in between do not have a lead in lead out... am I missing a setting somewhere?

Thanks!

yes... there are a ton of rules and options in the Linking page

once you figure it all out, your can make those toolpaths do everything short of getting  you a cup of coffe

yes... there are a ton of rules and options in the Linking page

once you figure it all out, your can make those toolpaths do everything short of getting  you a cup of coffe

Yup... got it right after I asked the question... Lol

Really starting to like the new swarf!

Thanks!