Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Stupid planes question

MIL-TFP-41

Here is one I have always wondered.

What is the difference when you are in a toolpath between the Tool plane and the Comp/construction plane?

What situation would arise when they would not be the same? Aggregate head maybe?

I do know that bad things will happen if you somehow don't make them the same.....

post-5509-0-19146600-1446209680_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

What is the difference when you are in a toolpath between the Tool plane and the Comp/construction plane?

What situation would arise when they would not be the same? Aggregate head maybe?

I do know that bad things will happen if you somehow don't make them the same.....

If tool and comp planes do not match typically you'll get a warning that the planes are not perpendicular.

For aggregate programming you need a post with that functionality built in so you can program in the G18/19 planes.

This is actually a very good question... I have programmed a lot of multi-axis stuff where my "Tool Plane"  and my "Comp/Construction Plane" are always the same...

I'm wondering the same thing as MIL-TPF-41...

Under what circumstance would you want these to be different, if ever?

This is actually a very good question... I have programmed a lot of multi-axis stuff where my "Tool Plane"  and my "Comp/Construction Plane" are always the same...

I'm wondering the same thing as MIL-TPF-41...

Under what circumstance would you want these to be different, if ever?

I think in all my years I have never seen them different and still have never understood why they are.

• Like 2

Well were it can bit you as an example is, if the Cplane is different to the Tplane when programming and you use the features to get depths for example. when you select a feature for the depth it will be wrong due to the location of the Cplane relative to the Tplane.

Same thought if you are using Depth controls during Surfacing the values once again are based on the Cplane not the tool plane.

Just a thought.

What I'm talking about doesn't tilt the tool, but it does tilt the waterline stepdown direction.  I used to use it on some runner fans, then switched to Surface Finish Hybrid, and now I use Surface Finish Blend.

I didn't even realize the software would do that. Thank you for teaching me something new about the software.

So, basically it breaks down like this:

WCS is your coordinates and work offset

Tool plane is your "direction" of the tool, or the plane that perp to the tool

Comp is an arbitrary plane that can skew your toolpath

Does that seem right?

Going off the simple sample file I uploaded...I would say that is a very good description. I too had no idea it could do this. Stupid question answered!

WCS, Work Coordinates relative to the world origin and part origin.

TPlane , plane in which the tool is cutting in.

Cplane , Construction plane that you draw in.

All lie together in space or can be individual set for different reasons. example changing the Tplane to tell Mastercam to index to new rotational position . Cplane to change based on drawing part from print and creating a temp datum Cplane based on the view you are working on. making it easier to follow the print Dim.

Just a few of my thoughts for you.