Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Magnetic chucks for milling

Noel

The boss wants to bring in a magnetic chuck to try on our cnc mills.It is a Tecnomagnete brand I'm not sure of the model #.Any one using them and what is your opinion of them. I would tend to think the holding forces would limit how agresively you can cut and the chips would tend to stick to the workpiece.

cheers.gif Noel

good evening noel,

this should help you. check out machine tool solutions they are located in brampton ontario.

(905)790-8640 i have personaly used one from them with good success .they make quite a variety of sizes and strengh for holding.they will also custom build to suite your needs.

hth,

trevor

quote:

Make sure that the magnet will still work if the power goes out, not just an electromagnet.

That's right - you don't want to have to stop machining just because the power goes out!

I know the reason you suggest this Peter but I had to post this reply - Jack would not have let me live it down otherwise...

Thanks for all of the input guys.I look forward to trying the magnetic table.I don't know how serious the boss is as it was the salesman who asked if he could bring it in for us to try.I think once the boss sees the price he might change his mind, but we'll see.

cheers.gif Noel

quote:

but hows this for freaky...I have an operator that likes to qualify his part (normally plate steel) having double sided taped the thing to the machine...

We mill sheets of modified NXT-75, AKA teflon, and we hold them down with double sided tape.

And they say nothing sticks to teflon!!! wink.gif

• 7 years later...

The boss wants to bring in a magnetic chuck to try on our cnc mills.It is a Tecnomagnete brand I'm not sure of the model #.Any one using them and what is your opinion of them. I would tend to think the holding forces would limit how agresively you can cut and the chips would tend to stick to the workpiece.

cheers.gif Noel

Coolant makes the rubber spacer between the polls puff up. I end up milling it off monthly, and i bearly use coolant. Without coolant it doesnt puff up at all. I dont think it would last in a mill running coolant as the norm. But who knows, maybe the rubber spacer isnt even needed and it can be milled away?