Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

How to machine a cam with 4 axis ?

IngParedes

Thanks to all for reply

Here is my progress, the next steps are the most important, I´ll try flowline and Parallel to surface all locked to 4 Axis (like says "5th Axis Consultin"), If somebody have a diferent idea I'll be grateful.

My machine is Haas with 4th axis

The setup and fixtures are like the pictures

post-68365-0-78474300-1454609159_thumb.jpg

post-68365-0-34229300-1454609160_thumb.jpg

why you machining this way ,vertically you can make 10 times faster ???

Because we have only one machine, in this time this machine is working with 4th axis pieces, considering the setup time of the machine with vise and install again the index in this time is faster work with 4 axis.

Thanks for your opinion

Since you have a Multus you could have tilted it over on it side it it like a Vertical expect you would have kicked the head over 90 and could have dynamic C axis cut it, or used X and Y axis to mill it. When I get some down time I am going to make up a MT example so show others a different way to go about a part like this.

• Like 2

Since you have a Multus you could have tilted it over on it side it it like a Vertical expect you would have kicked the head over 90 and could have dynamic C axis cut it, or used X and Y axis to mill it. When I get some down time I am going to make up a MT example so show others a different way to go about a part like this.

Man, you have a multus and had to ask about this part?

apologies:

before it was clear he was talking about a mill i threw in a comment about turning the shape on a Macturn. after realizing my comment wasn't needed/ maybe a hijack for the question asked i remove it.

so now you can blame me for the confusion. :thumbdown:

Thanks to all for reply

Here is my progress, the next steps are the most important, I´ll try flowline and Parallel to surface all locked to 4 Axis (like says "5th Axis Consultin"), If somebody have a diferent idea I'll be grateful.

Hi again !

Here is the results, I used "Rotary" strategy, was easy to use, I think that this strategy can be use to MacTurn

Other ideas and opinions are welcome

Thanks to all

I think people are getting confused. The machine is a Haas not a Macturn. 

IngParedes, I understand not wanting to tear down the setup just for one part. You are on the right path, the rotary path will be a good one for what you are trying to do. If you haven't got this figured out yet feel free to post up a file and I will give you a hand with it.

Thanks to all for reply

You are doing this the wrong way. You can cut this parallel in the Z-axis (aka Side mill/face mill) and use a dynamic path to rough it out, and a simple contour to finish. Faster and easier on the tools and the machine.

You are doing this the wrong way. You can cut this parallel in the Z-axis (aka Side mill/face mill) and use a dynamic path to rough it out, and a simple contour to finish. Faster and easier on the tools and the machine.

Can we get past that already? Did you not read the part that he said he doesn't want to tear down a frequently used setup just for this one part? It's time to move on.

• Like 1

No. He is doing it wrong. Making life more difficult. Can't move on until doing it right.

That is a truly ignorant statement. You are obviously a person that can't think outside your comfort zone. Their are many ways to accomplish any given task in this trade, and the fact that I need to point that out to you speaks volumes. He is doing it in a way that requires less overall work on his part by reducing setup time, just a little more run time and programming effort. Overall what he is trying to do is a very simple multi-axis programming example that will teach him something new. Regardless of what your opinion is on his methods, to say he is doing it wrong is simply incorrect. If you have nothing constructive to add to a conversation you should just keep quiet. Who knows, you may learn something.

• Like 7