Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

WHERE MY FILE GO????

Lathe-Mill

Lesson #1...

Alt A, Alt A, Alt A, Alt A, Alt A, Alt A, Alt A, etc...

It only took me once to learn that. I hit Alt A probably at least once per minute (better safe than sorry). Too late for you now, and hopefully you didn't have too much time into the job, but it's also a lesson for the future.

If you haven't messed with the autosave feature since installilng, I think by default it was set to autosave every..10 minutes maybe...as backup.mc9. So if you're lucky, there should be a file in the same folder the file you were working on is in called backup.mc9.

If not, then you should go into you config and turn autosave on to avoid haveing this happen in the future. I think good practice is to set to save every 5-10 minutes and after every toolpath is generated.

[ 12-29-2003, 08:44 AM: Message edited by: Zero ]

thanx guys, it happened 5 minutes after i turned the pc on, my auto save is set up every 15 minutes.

this sux, but i will learn from this one.

that aside, mastercam has been crashing on me dunno why...this is like the 5 time...

any clue why?..sudenly it says mc9.exe has execute an error it will close now ..something like that. confused.gif

Well I can tell you where to start to look. Make sure you anti virus is up to date, you have all the service packs for windows, and make sure you have all the latest and greatest video drivers for your card also. I might then think about doing a repair install of Mastercam or a complete reinstall fresh of Mastercam 9.1sp2 from the disk if it keeps up but that is just me.

Crazy Millman

Lathe-Mill,

I have had the same problem with sp2. Several times my Operation Manager would "red line" the ops and I had to regen the toolpaths. Once, it took over an hour to regen (big file). I uninstalled and did a fresh install with the sp2 CD. So far, I have had do similar problems (about three weeks ago).

I use Alt-A constantly, and I think it is beter than Auto Backup. I rather be in control of this, but just in case, mine is set for every 10 minutes. Can't be too cauious.

quote:

If the file still has size I may be able to get someone in programming to tell me what happened.

This used to happen to me all the time with ver 8.1 and Win2k. Only problem was filesize=0bytes.

The problem went away entirely when I upgraded to

Ver9.0SP1.

I'm pretty sure it is a video driver problem with Win 2k. But not 100%.

I never used auto save before because that is when my file would crash, when I was saving.

I have read in here where the same thing has been happening to others as well. But they all seem to be using ver 9.1SP2.

Which reaffirms my theory that it is a vido driver and Win2k thing.

When I installed Ver 9.1SP2 on my shop computer in Win2k, I could not render up or generate any geometry at all on the screen when opening up an existing file that had been made in ver 9.0.

The entities would import, just couldn't see them on the screen, just a couple grey lines....

As long as I made a new file in 9.1 it worked fine.

This is why I started saving my files on 2 seperate HDD's. In case of HDD failure or file crash, I would still have my file. I know how frustrating it is to loose 2 weeks of work.

I would like to see auto save reworked a bit that will allow it to keep up with the savename/path on each file independantly.

This way you could never accidently save over your backup with the last used filename(itchy mouse finger syndrome) and if your existing file happend to also crash at the same time, you wouldn't end up and loose both files.

Not an entirely impossible senerio either.....I think with my luck it is very doable to have this happen rolleyes.gif

Murlin

I had a fresh install from when i got the cd for sp2, after that i downloaded all patches and fixes avaliable for it, worked fine.

2 weeks ago, put more memory in to the box from 256 to 512 then this start happening, i am not blaming the more memory, i dont think that is the problem..or it is?.

so after this morning i backed up my box, then reinstall mc9.1sp2, lets see what the future holds .

thank you all for your help. wink.gif

Greg Mckay, thanx for the help...i did reinstalled the software and reprogram the part, unfotunetly it wasn't enough time to fool around, my boss had me on a short leash...it's all good now...thanx again.

Rekd, thanx also for helping, only one thing, i dont know anything about the VBS.

THANK YOU ALL!!! cheers.gif