Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

adding tool mfg's to drop down in tool descriptor

BenzB

Now if we could only get some logic applied to the way holders and tools are handled life will be good. Drives me crazy all the holder in the default tool library. That is like me giving someone a 1000 prints throwing them in the air  and say here go get me this print and doing that to them day in and day out for years.

• Like 2

Now if we could only get some logic applied to the way holders and tools are handled life will be good. Drives me crazy all the holder in the default tool library. That is like me giving someone a 1000 prints throwing them in the air  and say here go get me this print and doing that to them day in and day out for years.

Now that would be a great enhancement request...filters for the holder library....

• Like 2

Not looking for an easy button. It has to have this current info already installed somewhere. Not like it's pulling it out of thin air. So what file(s) is this info stored in so that it can be edited? All the best customization is through the back door, not the front end.

• 3 weeks later...

Not looking for an easy button. It has to have this current info already installed somewhere. Not like it's pulling it out of thin air. So what file(s) is this info stored in so that it can be edited? All the best customization is through the back door, not the front end.

The powers to be have picked a course of action. Backdoor methods and concepts are welcomed, but the data has to be accessible in a easy to use format.

Currently I think 2 things are happening.

#1 the data isn't accessible

#2 Majority have no concern to access it. 

Not lumping you into #2 as you seem to want to do something better and easier than the current established process. For now we have thrown out suggestions and thoughts and up to anyone who reads them to sort it out.

how would one go about doing this

Many ways to accomplish this task.

#1 Take an existing one and edit it as you go making it your own.

#2 Create everything from scratch and build it exactly like you want it.

#3 Download a bunch of information and models and import the holders and such and use #2 to do it.

#4 Copy items from different ones and combine them int one.

The current method I really dislike:

#5 Use the default one with every type of holder for every type of spindle in it and fight you want through figuring out which one is for your specific machine. Then once you have gone through the 100s of holders that are not he one you want pick that holder close enough and then define your tool or use the one that is close and accept that it is different and just deal with it.

Many ways to accomplish this task.

#1 Take an existing one and edit it as you go making it your own.

#2 Create everything from scratch and build it exactly like you want it.

#3 Download a bunch of information and models and import the holders and such and use #2 to do it.

#4 Copy items from different ones and combine them int one.

The current method I really dislike:

#5 Use the default one with every type of holder for every type of spindle in it and fight you want through figuring out which one is for your specific machine. Then once you have gone through the 100s of holders that are not he one you want pick that holder close enough and then define your tool or use the one that is close and accept that it is different and just deal with it.

I could of imagined this answer..but thank you for trying

Now that would be a great enhancement request...filters for the holder library....

Without mentioning any other products, this capability is available in other applications and it sure is a handy option. Being able to filter a holder database for only Big Plus 40 holders sure makes life a lot easier :)

I'm sure it will happen one day.

With other applications it can go even further like automatically filter holders according to tool shank diameter.

One thing, very easy to implement that would make holders selection easier in my workflow would be to be able to link an holders library for each machine (in machine definition). Then all operations would load this one and would show you spindle compatible holders only.

Another way could be to add a spindle interface field in machine definition (cat40/capto6/...), mix all holders in a library and Mastercam would be able to filter automatically. Would be great improvements not so difficult to implement...

Is it possible for the end users to add to this list?

My apologies if this is in the wrong forum.

Thanks

Benz

I used SQLite and opened "DatabaseCatalog.toolbd" and changed the names for some MFG's we don't use.  There was ID and Description fields that I left alone when editing.  We haven't had any problems since doing it over a year ago.

• Like 1