Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Newbie needs help

jack l

Why does your machine crash? I don't know.

What is MC support like? Since you're here, you've just found the best "support group" you'll find anywhere.

If you installed the posts when installing the software, you should be able to find a generic post for your machines to get you by until you get them tweaked by your dealer. Don't be afraid to attempt some tweaking yourself, just make sure to make backup copies before your modify the original.

The dealer wants to see a posted program from Gibbs so they know what codes/comments you want on which lines. That way they can make the MC post out the same.

Hang in there. It only gets better from here. Welcome to the board. cheers.gif

Edited to say that when I said "support group," I didn't mean others who can all sit around in misery together. I meant that you have a wealth of knowledge here and there is little that can't be solved with some time and patience...and of course the (free) time of the people who visit this board.

Thad

[ 01-07-2004, 08:48 PM: Message edited by: Thad ]

+1 Thad smile.gif

Jack,

There is a generic acromatic post on the install cd that should work(Mill?) The code may not be what your used to seeing though, but should run machine ok. (Use feedoveride anytime your trying new stuff.)

Your pc locking up. The forst part of your post sounded like a video card issue. So...

In MC Main Menu-Screen-config- click on screen tab and uncheck enable open gl and save config file

on desktop right click-properties-settings- advanced- it will either be troubleshooting or performance next. then set your hardware accelaration down to 0 and try MC to see if it fixes it. If so repeat process and set harware accel up a notch and retry. Keep doing that until it acts up and then set hardware accel appropriatly.

(The way I test this is call up a sample 3d part and shade it and dynamic spin part and also go into analyze and move cursor over the different surfaces rapidly so they highlight and try to lock mc up. If it does not lock up all is well.)

The day/night difference could be network related. Are other pcs using files from you pc?

Kepp us posted and welcome to the forum smile.gif

Well I wrote this great reply about how important MC has become for me, but my computer crashed and I lost my wonderful reply.

There is no question the MC has ISSUES, you will learn what to expect, and there for you will be able to anticapate powerful results in your programing.

Save often. MC is FAST and that allows you to work FAST. SAVE Often.

As far as the support, I have found:

1. dealer/instructor to be a major tool

2.CNCSoftware has helped a little, and I do stress little - this is not a bad thing though, CNCSoftware, I believe expects the dealers to handle most answorable questions. If your dealer refuses to help in a reasonable amount of time. TELL ON THEM, I would. Expect the best, beacuse you now own it.

3. last - HELLO - This form has been a great benifit to my daily questions and performance.

Good luck! Andrew.

P.S. is there a spell chack available on this form?

Welcoem to the Forum fist and foremost.

1) I would make sure that all of your windows serivce packs are up to date.

2) I would also make sure that you got the 9.1 sp2 installed.

3) STL and Mastercma is like tkane a ugly troll and putting it in a beauty contest. If you have no choice then I understand but if you can get iges or paralsoild or Solidwaorks native sdplrt files they will give you the best results and for a good quality file usually be 90% smaller.

4) Post are easy to get the way you want but a good working code make anyone's job easier. I or noone else can read minds and if you give the delaer or put up a code that works for you and what you are getting now I think you will be suprised who quick and well you get what you are looking for.

5) This is a support place that si a community of users. It is not Mastercam per say juts a group of guys here to help each other. The conditions of which are that we dont bash Mastercam or the Dealers but do our best to handle them privatley as possible. I know you are problay under the gun and fell a little left out but I promise it gets better and before you know it you will be going gibbs are for machines for for Programming. SORRY THIS IS JUST A JOKE TO LOOSEN UP THE FOLKS. GIBBS IS A GOOD PROGRAM AND NOT BASHING THEM JUST TRYING TO MAKE A JOKE AT THEIR EXPENSE AND SORRY IF I OFFENED YOU OR ANYONE WITH THIS COMMNET.

Good luck stick in there and let us help you. Great group of guys here all with alot of talnet and willing to help those that want it and willing to give it back.

Crazy Millman

[ 01-08-2004, 11:41 AM: Message edited by: Millman^Crazy ]

quote:

(The way I test this is call up a sample 3d part and shade it and dynamic spin part and also go into analyze and move cursor over the different surfaces rapidly so they highlight and try to lock mc up. If it does not lock up all is well.)

The way I do it is press the End button and let the MC spin a part in shaded condition a couple of minutes

I usually test it with 300-600 surfaces and

it must move smooth and fast on your PC.

If not check your graphic card driver .

Go to the Nvidia site and download the latest appropriate driver for Ur card .

As for crashes please be more specific .

Anyway 50% of crashes at least can be connected to bad video driver .

Check your virtual memory settings and free space on hard disk .

quote:

My second major question is how you guys deal with minor quirks in the software. The guy I bought software from checks it out and say "you right it does not work correctly"

Please be more specific with your problems .

What are these quirks ?!?

Iskander teh ?!?

Jack

quote:

When it comes to posts I think my Sub Dealer (gee I love these words) was right. They are not much to start with

That's a crock of sh!t in my opinion. I don't even have a clue what an Acromatic is so I'll hold my tongue on that but if your guy can't get you good geometry, minimum-edit code for a Yasnac to get you up and running for the short term then he should find another line of work.

I have a Matsuura RAII with a Yasnac MX3 that I have a post almost finished for; send me some code with both contour milling and canned drill / tap calls in it and I'll see if it is close. If so; I'll work with you a bit to get what you need.

C

[ 01-08-2004, 07:57 AM: Message edited by: chris m ]

Jack

Please let us know if your problems have been solved. We consider customer satisfaction and the fulfillment of our commitments to be of utmost importance.

Please try to be as specific as possible with post requests (Acramatic has several controllers). Is your 4th axis indexing or a full rotary axis? When sending sample code to your dealer, please be sure to include not only basic milling, but any desired 4th axis movement, drilling and tapping cycles, as well as multiple work offsets. The more info is received, the easier the post will be to supply.

regards

Peter Eigler

"Friends don't let friends use Gibbs"

regards

Jack, chill out. We've all had our problems, and most of people will share their knowledge of how to figure them out.

MC for 3 months and your ready to give up?

did you become a machinist in less than 3 months?

Happiness is acheived by overcoming obstacles.

Stick with it and I am sure you will see you have the best cad/cam on the market.

Jer

Jack

My Matsuura post is actually one I wrote using MPFAN [the generic Fanuc MUTLI-AXIS post] so I don't see why it wouldn't work.

If you just want to bitch and you don't want help; don't ask.

C

[ 01-08-2004, 11:12 AM: Message edited by: chris m ]