Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Drilling cycle in mastercam

JAMES GABEL

top of stock = -1.75

depth = -3.0

Just be aware of your clearance and jump heights.

If you want it to feed down to Z-1.75 and then peck, then you need a custom drill cycle which people smarter than me have written and could help you out with.

another option, especially if you do a lot of deep hole drilling, is to use custom G-Code macros on the machine which are canned cycles that handle special techniques like feed down into a pre-drilled hole at an accelerated rate, specify 1st drill depth then start pecking, not pulling the drill all the way out of the hole to peck so that the tip of drill stays piloted and chips are still ejected, going inside of the piloted hole with the spindle off then starting the spindle with really long drills that would snap off otherwise.

You can use MCX custom drill cycles to output something like a G183 with all the command line variables that the macro needs. IMHO macros are great for building special techniques for specific tasks. Macros are flexible and you only have to build it once as opposed to building these techniques in MCX each and every time you need to program them.

Cheers!

Len Dye

Let's say I drill a hole 2 inches deep and I want the hole to be 3 inches deep. I want to have mastercam go into the hole 1.750 deep and then start pecking. Is mastercam able to do that?

Yes, set your retract plane to -2.0 and depth to -3.

The bigger question, do you want to retract your peck completely out of the hole, then rapid back down and do the next peck, rinse & repeat?

Or, is pecking and retracting in the hole acceptable?

I have written a longhand peck and full retract custom drill cycle that a search should find....

Really depends exactly what you are trying to do