Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

PM Guy - Don't call it "X"

Polite Luther

V-10 was an obvious consideration, but it does not convey that this is a new generation product. It speaks of incremental change, ho-hum. As someone already mentioned X is 10, but it's different, and you're gonna like it.

Ken

It's funny how the little things trip you up... I guess we could commission a study amoung our marketing demographic to determine a suitable image branding that would create a sub-logic connection to the personality type most likely to buy a CADCAM product in the next 12 months. Eliminating the high and low scores should leave a median subset of likely buyers that we could test by subjecting them to rapid-fire images of machine tools, puppies, and lobsters measuring the fast-twitch response on their eyes... Or not. ;-)

Would anyone mind if we held up the release to research this further? smile.gif

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So is the next release after "X" going to be "Y"? or "XII"?

I just don't think it does Mastercam justice. Sounds like you guys couldn't think of a name, started calling it "X", and it happened to also be the Roman numeral for 10, and it stuck.

The letter "X" usually signifies "crossing out" or "stamping out" something. Mastercam is #1 in installed seats world wide, but remember what happened to the Roman Empire.

It also means "to multiply". "Mutliply your productivity by the power of X". Hey - that's not too bad! But now you can't use it because I said it first! Unless you want my lawyers to come after you guys for royalty fees biggrin.gif

It is much easier to be a follower in the Market place than to be the first. Safer, and costs much less to let someone else do the trail blasing. There already is an over use of the 23rd letter - IE Unigraphics NX, NX2 and the new competitive player VX.

If I were to have my own produst to sell, My suggestions as always would include -

"Slightly better than you could do yourself CAM"

"We tested most of it except the part you need CAM"

"Fancy packed piece of plastic for a million dollars CAM"

Each subsequent release would be indicated by a an increment of the Greek Alphabit - and in this case , MasterCAM "Kappa" (tenth letter for those who care)

Posted by Luther:

quote:

The letter "X" usually signifies "crossing out" or "stamping out" something. Mastercam is #1 in installed seats world wide, but remember what happened to the Roman Empire.

How about "MasterCAM X - Stamping out the competition!"

Seriously though, I doubt anyone is going to care what the name is when they actually get there hands on a copy of X

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Master of Puppets was metallica's last GREAT album. DOH!!! They don't call them that anymore, how about their last GREAT Release.

Yeah, gimme, gimme, gimme!!!

biggrin.gif