Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Hot shops

LeoC

Anyone with experience with running a swamp cooler in a machine shop? Does it cause any rusting issues? It isn't practical in our machine shop with the 20 foot roof height to drop a ceiling so currently we just use industrial fans to blow the hot air around. We have the portable AC units at our desks but then when we walk and work around our machines, it can get pretty hot. Just looking at different options.

LeoC

• Like 2

We tied one in the "old building" about 5 years ago, before we bought the new place we didn't have room so we put the Mazak lathe and the minimill in a converted drive in storage bay with no AC.

Lasted about one day, the coolness was not worth the excessive humidity. You could feel it, maybe I'm wimpy but when I walked in there breathing was harder.

Thing was huge, about 6 foot tall. Good thing we borrowed it and didn't buy it.

True.  I worked in a hot shop for about three months.  People move slower, don't think as well, and get crankier.  That effects your bottom line.  The electronics in the machine will fail much faster, the servos won't last as long, and tolerances will be all over the place due to thermal expansion.

30+ years in the trade and the last 3 are the only time have had air conditioned shop. I now work in the office WTF

ya holding tight tolerance was a crap shoot and would bet the parts did not measure the same when soaked in correct temp. I did what i was told in the envirement given.

oh well

Last place did not have ac in the machine shop. But god forbid the wire edm room got over 73degrees!! I could never wrap my head around that. The wire is doing 'precision' work, but the bores on all of our parts were +.0007/-0. Nah, we can turn that when the shop is 95degrees.... 

Pretty much how it is here as I control my own AC in the wireroom. Even in the winter I turn it on when all the wires are running. Everyone bitches how cold it is in here but I like it that way.

Haha good luck holding tenths. I once interviewed at a shop that machined PLASTIC and had no AC, and they could not figure out why their parts would measure good off the machine and get rejected by the customer. Laughed the whole way home and ignored the call back. :harhar: