Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Small to Mid-size 5-axis Milling Machines

Jim at Gentex

Just watched a video on it.  Looks like a nice machine, but I wonder why it doesn't have an HSK spindle?

probably don't need it--looks like 10Hp is standard. I guess that is an OK way to open a premium builder to smaller shops. After all, how often are we really pegging a 20HP spindle?? :sofa:

just watched that youtube too. Seems like Mats has some pretty neat high production options in a small footprint. Tiny pallet pool=nice

Just watched a video on it.  Looks like a nice machine, but I wonder why it doesn't have an HSK spindle?

ALL Matsuura machines CAN come with an HSK spindle.  They are factory orders though. There is still not enough demand for HSK in the US. They DO however come factory standard with BigPlus. Best of both worlds IMHO. I've always preferred CAT/BT to HSK. I like the vibration dampening characteristics of the CT/BT BigPlus over HSK.

CUBLEX machines only come with HSK though.

I prefer Big plus over hsk myself. I've seen hsk tools pop out from use and from wrecks. Never once seen a cat50 or cat50 big plus pop out.

Only seen that happen when a pull stud breaks... VERY rare. THousgh I have a customer that had 2 Command Pull studs break at the shoulder. Smoked the spindle the 1st time. 2nd time they caught it in the tool magazine.

Bad heat treat lot apparently.

I use http://www.jmperformanceproducts.com/

Only seen that happen when a pull stud breaks... VERY rare. THousgh I have a customer that had 2 Command Pull studs break at the shoulder. Smoked the spindle the 1st time. 2nd time they caught it in the tool magazine.

Bad heat treat lot apparently.

I use http://www.jmperformanceproducts.com/

Ugh, Command...  I will no longer buy anything from those guys as their quality is plain $hit!  I bought a spindle test bar from them and specifically requested the calibration cert with it.  Well when I got it I put it in the spindle of my NEW Makino and it said the spindle was out of spec (.001" @ 12").  The Makino tech's test bar said the spindle was in spec (.0002" @ 12") so the bar went back to Command and I gave them a piece of my mind.  They asked if I wanted a replacement, LOL!  Nope, just a refund.  Unbelievable.  They must have forged the cert...  ZERO respect for those guys and that brand after that.  There have been a number of other quality issues with them but that was the last straw.

• Like 2

Nope, Matsuura refuses to be all things to all people. They continue to do what they do well which is premium machining centers.

Their largest is the MAM72-100H which is a Horizontal 5-Axis trunion style machine with 1,000mm x 770mm capacity.

I only wish they would come out with a 1000mm or 1250mm horizontal. The 630 is awesome...just not big enough.

probably don't need it--looks like 10Hp is standard. I guess that is an OK way to open a premium builder to smaller shops. After all, how often are we really pegging a 20HP spindle?? 

Huh.  I've got 30 horse and 15KRPM in the Haas.  That pallet pool is what's making me drool.  Oh, and I could use more than the 41 tool slots I'm currently limited to.

Story I got was they added the front support to make people feel comfortable about the machine. It is to give a warm fuzzy is what I got as a story. The DMG 50 is about the same machine and it doesn't have the front support. You should see the counterweights in these machines. They are doing a lot to balance that table.

One thing that set high end trunnion based machines apart is that the majority of them (never heard about one that does not use it) have two servos on each side, in a tandem schema. This nearly eliminates torsion, allow high feeds, generates less heat,higher payloads and facilitates overall thermal stability.

• Like 2

Haas are good for a cheap 5 axis if your not trying to hit close tolerances. We have a vf2 I'm personally not a fan of, surface finishes suck and it's about as rigid as a Bridgeport. It's around a year or two old and already has a half thousandths backlash in x and apparently you're supposed to laser calibrate these things yearly. i wouldn't want anything to do with their 5 axis, their control isn't the best for simo 5 axis either. We're a mold shop who cuts hardened steel and needs tenths accuracy.

We also looked a the doosan 5 axis, aside from it being the size of a small house I can't say many bad things about it but we ended up purchasing a eagle v9, but these are also out of your price range.

Haas are good for a cheap 5 axis if your not trying to hit close tolerances. We have a vf2 I'm personally not a fan of, surface finishes suck and it's about as rigid as a Bridgeport. It's around a year or two old and already has a half thousandths backlash in x and apparently you're supposed to laser calibrate these things yearly. i wouldn't want anything to do with their 5 axis, their control isn't the best for simo 5 axis either. We're a mold shop who cuts hardened steel and needs tenths accuracy.

We also looked a the doosan 5 axis, aside from it being the size of a small house I can't say many bad things about it but we ended up purchasing a eagle v9, but these are also out of your price range.

Is that Eagle an Ingersoll Eagle? Is it the model suitable for graphite machining?