Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

What do you call it and where do you get it

Thank you both. The Haimer system is more like clamps and is pretty expensive by comparison. At least they can be bought!

I see the springs in some lyndex catalogs and not in others. Time to find a local dealer.

The funny thing is I bought some 3 years ago but only got 1/4". Have no idea where I got them from.

Thank you both. The Haimer system is more like clamps and is pretty expensive by comparison. At least they can be bought!

I see the springs in some lyndex catalogs and not in others. Time to find a local dealer.

The funny thing is I bought some 3 years ago but only got 1/4". Have no idea where I got them from.

You didn't say cheap. :turned: :turned:

I'll be totally honest, I disagree. I've run OSG exotaps to depth many times. get a spiral flute that pulls chips back and have at it. however, weigh the risks of a broken tap. if it's a part we can weld, I tap. if no weld, I threadmill. I just ran a part that we tapped 190 m36 to 70mm in about 28 minutes. drilled with a Sumocham in about 12 minutes. do that with a threadmill. again, totally depends on your situation. I have many factors and some weigh heavier than others.

if you threadmill and start bottom to top, any booboos will be hard to find. if you can't afford a broke tap then you have no choice imo.

ultimately you have to decide... it's your job after all.

I'll be totally honest, I disagree. I've run OSG exotaps to depth many times. get a spiral flute that pulls chips back and have at it. however, weigh the risks of a broken tap. if it's a part we can weld, I tap. if no weld, I threadmill. I just ran a part that we tapped 190 m36 to 70mm in about 28 minutes. drilled with a Sumocham in about 12 minutes. do that with a threadmill. again, totally depends on your situation. I have many factors and some weigh heavier than others.

if you threadmill and start bottom to top, any booboos will be hard to find. if you can't afford a broke tap then you have no choice imo.

ultimately you have to decide... it's your job after all.

Wrong topic think you meant this for the tapping thread. Now I owe you 2? :laughing: :laughing:

• Like 1

You can put steel in shrink fit... usually only once though. :yes: :rofl:

One of my guys did that, once...  Luckily it was a larger tool (1/2") and we were able to insert a steel shaft through the pull stud hole and press it out on the hydraulic press.  It took about 8 tons to get it to move.

One of my guys did that, once...  Luckily it was a larger tool (1/2") and we were able to insert a steel shaft through the pull stud hole and press it out on the hydraulic press.  It took about 8 tons to get it to move.

if there is a Weldon flat on a HSS endmill.. that tool holder is all done

we've got a half dozen holders like that around here

Thats why nobody touches my shrink holders but me. I would seriously go off on somebody. And they aren't really mine at all they belong to the company but if they are going to let me buy just about anything I need I feel obligated to take care of it.

I have a kit from Lyndex on the way, 19 clips and it cost me over 100 bucks. That's insane for little springs there is nothing special about them. Hope they come in a gold plated case or something.

One of my guys did that, once... Luckily it was a larger tool (1/2") and we were able to insert a steel shaft through the pull stud hole and press it out on the hydraulic press. It took about 8 tons to get it to move.

Mia Culpa: I got away with it a couple times with a powerful induction machine and brand new holders.

felt pretty dumb when it stopped working, even if the induction literature said it was powerful enough for HSS.

oh, well nothing a good blow torch and a bucket of water can't solve.

Sure am glad the owner didn't walk through with a couple of knuckleheads holding a red hot tool holder over a bucket. :blushing::sofa:

Much easier to just stick with carbide. Pfft

Thats why nobody touches my shrink holders but me. I would seriously go off on somebody. And they aren't really mine at all they belong to the company but if they are going to let me buy just about anything I need I feel obligated to take care of it.

I have a kit from Lyndex on the way, 19 clips and it cost me over 100 bucks. That's insane for little springs there is nothing special about them. Hope they come in a gold plated case or something.

72681158.jpg

I don't see how it would shorten the life of a holder. You are heating it up. You let it cool off. Isn't that what the induction thing does only 10 times faster?

I can see if you give it to someone clueless that holds a torch on one side of the holder till it turns red, puts a piece of carbide in it then dunks it in cold water.

I heat till it is just short of purple while rotating it then place it in front of a fan and just wait.

I have one holder I have put probably 50 tools in that still has no run out at all.

I'm sure the induction heater salesman would feel differently and would make it sound like I'm risking human life by using a heating device to heat something but I'm not convinced.

Any real tech studies on this?

• Like 1