Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Anyone else never use materials

SlaveCam

I haven't used "materials" for decades.  I calculate the feed and speed for every toolpath with HSMAdvisor or Helical Milling Advisor.  If you're not adjusting for each different cut you're wasting machine time and probably cutter life.  Take a .005" stepover finish pass with the same F/S as your .125" stepover and you're rubbing your flutes.

• Like 1

I haven't used "materials" for decades.  I calculate the feed and speed for every toolpath with HSMAdvisor or Helical Milling Advisor.  If you're not adjusting for each different cut you're wasting machine time and probably cutter life.  Take a .005" stepover finish pass with the same F/S as your .125" stepover and you're rubbing your flutes.

+1000

The only time I ever thought of setting it up was for an Amada laser. Based on the material the post would spit out the right cut condition for that material. Instead I opted to have the post prompt the programmer for what material.

Everywhere else I have different tool libraries. Steel, Aluminum, Stainless, ect, ect

I have never used it. But I've thought about setting it up a million times, just never had the time or I forgot.

I think it would be handy for drilling,facemilling,finish milling etc..  I'll probably never get around to using it though.

+1

Well, I am surprised. I expected your answers to be more like "How can you ignore such an essential feature of Mastercam?", but I'm relieved to know I'm not the only one who doesn't like to play with percentages.

Fully agree, but you have to have some kind of starting point, right? :)

Well, I am surprised. I expected your answers to be more like "How can you ignore such an essential feature of Mastercam?", but I'm relieved to know I'm not the only one who doesn't like to play with percentages.

Fully agree, but you have to have some kind of starting point, right? :)

Sure, load up one of the advisors, plug in your material, cutter, and cutting conditions, and presto; you have a feed and speed for that specific cut.  For the next cut, put in the new conditions.  Yes, my tool libraries have values in the speed and feed fields, but I always always edit them for each cut.