Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Xeon E3 or I7?

rscherk

I used to run nothing but Dell workstations with Xeon processors

but have switched to i7's over the last couple of years.

I think you can beat i7 performance with a Xeon, but you'll spend a boatload on money doing it

This is a benchmark thread you may want to check out

Its not as active as it once was but contains good information

http://www.emastercam.com/board/topic/78985-benchmark-20/?hl=benchmark

And Xeon E5? Will be better than the 7700k?

Not necessarily. E5 is an entire series of processors. There is a lot of variables to consider in choosing a processor that this thread isn't touching on at all. Personally I will choose a high end I7 over a Xeon because dollar for dollar the I7 wins. The top of the line Xeons are great when you don't have to worry about budget and need things like ECC memory. For me I would rather save the $1K or more and deal with the possibility of a crash.

For a good comparison of processors check out http://www.cpubenchmark.net.

• Like 1

Not necessarily. E5 is an entire series of processors. There is a lot of variables to consider in choosing a processor that this thread isn't touching on at all. Personally I will choose a high end I7 over a Xeon because dollar for dollar the I7 wins. The top of the line Xeons are great when you don't have to worry about budget and need things like ECC memory. For me I would rather save the $1K or more and deal with the possibility of a crash.

For a good comparison of processors check out http://www.cpubenchmark.net.

I work in a growing company and engineering management does not want to have problems with errors and lack of performance. Currently we have two computers with i7 4790k, 16gb, ssd, Windows 8.1 pro. They use two to three instances of open mastercam X9, catia, autocad, office, and so on. All at once. When they simulate on the mastercam, processor usage goes to 100% and begins to give errors and closes.

They want me to find a solution so this does not happen.

This is an example of parts that creates and simulates machining on the mastercam

I work in a growing company and engineering management does not want to have problems with errors and lack of performance. Currently we have two computers with i7 4790k, 16gb, ssd, Windows 8.1 pro. They use two to three instances of open mastercam X9, catia, autocad, office, and so on. All at once. When they simulate on the mastercam, processor usage goes to 100% and begins to give errors and closes.

They want me to find a solution so this does not happen.

This is an example of parts that creates and simulates machining on the mastercam

Are you talking Machsim or Verification? It you are talking Verification just turn off Adaptive Quality and that issue should go away. Also, get rid of Windows 8.1. 

On a side note, the possibility of a crash I was referring to is so slim it really isn't worth talking about. I was being facetious.

• Like 1

Are you talking Machsim or Verification? It you are talking Verification just turn off Adaptive Quality and that issue should go away. Also, get rid of Windows 8.1. 

On a side note, the possibility of a crash I was referring to is so slim it really isn't worth talking about. I was being facetious.

Thanks for the informations :)

So... windows 10 should be better?

And jus for curiosity, whats specs it's your machine?

Windows 10 would be an improvement over 8.1. Personally I prefer Windows 7.

My Machine is a custom build:

I7 5960X 4.4GHz

64GB DDR4 Ram

Nvidia Quadro K5200

Windows 7 Pro

Dual Samsung Evo Pro SSD drives RAID 1

Even my off the shelf laptop doesn't have issues with crashing. 

Dell M6700

I7 3820QM

32Gb Ram

Nvidia Quadro K3000M

Windows 7 Pro

Honestly I doubt its your processor causing an error. Unless its a blue screen of death its not hardware related. 

• Like 3

Windows 10 would be an improvement over 8.1. Personally I prefer Windows 7.

My Machine is a custom build:

I7 5960X 4.4GHz

64GB DDR4 Ram

Nvidia Quadro K5200

Windows 7 Pro

Even my off the shelf laptop doesn't have issues with crashing. 

Dell M6700

I7 3820QM

32Gb Ram

Nvidia Quadro K3000M

Windows 7 Pro

Honestly I doubt its your processor causing an error. Unless its a blue screen of death its not hardware related. 

The problem is that they want (and need) to use "adaptive quality".

I talked to the manager and he said he can not turn it off. That "the result is not reliable".

What configuration would I need to be able to use the adaptive quality without the processor staying at 100% and starting to close the programs?

Unless you're frequently exceeding four threads the i7 7700K handily beats the best Xeons, and at only $350 compared to $1500+.  You can usually overclock about 10-20% reliably too (do a stress test after OCing to check).

I wouldn't advise running Windows 8.1 or 10 if you have any proprietary data, and 10 is moving into the cloud (shudder).

I have no need for adaptive quality and honestly, they don't really understand the verification if they think it has to be on. It's all display resolution nothing more. The actual calculations in verify are done to the same tolerance with or without it. Having it turned on even chokes my system. Besides it's a verify, if you need 100% accuracy you should get NCSimul or Vericut.

Jeff, yes stock is 3.0 with 3.5 as the turbo frequency. They overclock nicely though.

• Like 3

Not sure if you can say this to the boss but if not you can send him the link for this conversation.

He's assuming that is all about hardware and that throw money at it will solve it.

I think there are other factors like software bugs or a design that is not 100% robust yet. He's thinking like an engineer and nothing wrong with that, but a computer and the software that runs on it are incredibly complex pieces. Few people in this world masters both disciplines in their whole.

He's got a good suggestion here, to turn off something and live well even with you currently have, which is NOT a bad spec at all. Some people here would be very happy with that HW.

That being said, if he truly needs all this accuracy, he's looking in the wrong place. He needs Vericut or NCSimul. He can zoom in to the molecular level and have excellent quality.

If I could share a tip with the man, that would be turn off adaptive quality during programming and in the final verification he can turn it on. It won't eliminate the crashes, but will reduce them significantly.

Do you know if these crashes are being reported to MC QC?

This is a case where I believe HW won't make much difference. It's a decent spec already. There's no perfect / bug free engineering software and sometimes we have to look at the things with a pragmatic view.

• Like 4

Not sure if you can say this to the boss but if not you can send him the link for this conversation.

He's assuming that is all about hardware and that throw money at it will solve it.

I think there are other factors like software bugs or a design that is not 100% robust yet. He's thinking like an engineer and nothing wrong with that, but a computer and the software that runs on it are incredibly complex pieces. Few people in this world masters both disciplines in their whole.

He's got a good suggestion here, to turn off something and live well even with you currently have, which is NOT a bad spec at all. Some people here would be very happy with that HW.

That being said, if he truly needs all this accuracy, he's looking in the wrong place. He needs Vericut or NCSimul. He can zoom in to the molecular level and have excellent quality.

If I could share a tip with the man, that would be turn off adaptive quality during programming and in the final verification he can turn it on. It won't eliminate the crashes, but will reduce them significantly.

Do you know if these crashes are being reported to MC QC?

This is a case where I believe HW won't make much difference. It's a decent spec already. There's no perfect / bug free engineering software and sometimes we have to look at the things with a pragmatic view.

Thank's a lot for the informations

I'm from Brazil too rs. Send you a MP

What video card are you running on those computers?

with all the cad programs running at the same time you need a lot memory and  a qudaro  card >5200.

In your case, a top line Xeon  chip and the correct memory will help a lot.

PS. Forget windows 8.1. Go to Ver 10. and turn off the eye candy.

• Like 1

What video card are you running on those computers?

with all the cad programs running at the same time you need a lot memory and  a qudaro  card >5200.

In your case, a top line Xeon  chip and the correct memory will help a lot.

PS. Forget windows 8.1. Go to Ver 10. and turn off the eye candy.

Quadro K620

I checked and one file that was made on MCX9, has 375MB.

This file has around 600 Machining lines on the program