Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

MW Roughing

So not a Guru

1 hour ago, So not a Guru said:

I've been watching the Module Works video tutorials, I don't know how I had missed that link in the help file previously. They are very informative.

It may be a setting in your browser

I can't watch the videos at work due to settings our IT department have made

They work fine at home

Okay that is a cylindrical or cone shape toolpath that will work with Stock Models, Surface or nothing to define the stock. I will normally create my surfaces that are needed for the walls. Doesn't in my opinion do all that well with crazy shapes.

Here is something I shared about this toolpaths months ago and  see if it gives you some ideas.

5th Axis CGI MultiAxis Rough Example

Shoot me an email and I will share a different file.

• 1 month later...

Okay new part new approach to this toolpath. I cannot share the customer file, but I can share what I did. I want to use a Bull Endmill to finish a cone for a customer on a Nakamura-Tome NTJX. Current process is to surface machine this cone with 3 different tools. Current run time is 9 minutes. I plan on doing it this way and reduce the run time to 1 minute. Customer currently runs 350 parts a week on 2 machines and need to ramp up. This and some other things we might knock 15 minutes run time off the parts on the Phase one of the process. I am thinking by Phase 3 we might be able to 3D print the parts in a semi finish state and get the run time down to under 12 minutes from the current 49 minutes per part and still be cheaper per part.

Phase 1 machine the cone. Part has some Radius come up the sides of the cone for about the 300 deg angle sweep as the cone goes around that are the same radius as the tool I am using. Problem is I need wall surfaces normal to the cone to use the Multi Axis rough. I also have a much larger Radius I want to machine into, but not go past the .045R on the bull endmill I am using. I made a copy of the solid and I used Model prep to remove the same size radius of the tool I am using. I used model prep to reduce the large radius .045 smaller so I get my one side. I used model prep to grow the body of the next diameter the cone comes in contact with. I now have a sharp corner for my other sides and a Solid to work from that gives me the floor I want to machine. I can use all of the sharp edges to create a wall for the toolpath. Model Prep was the key here to make this pretty easy to do.

Hope it helps someone think outside the box for their next challenge.

Dropbox

• Like 2

Ron, are you going back and picking those corners or what?  I'd like to see more than the roughing in there if you don't mind.  I generally have ZERO issues roughing but some times I over think the finishing and I'd like to see how you attacked it.

2 minutes ago, jlw™ said:

Ron, are you going back and picking those corners or what?  I'd like to see more than the roughing in there if you don't mind.  I generally have ZERO issues roughing but some times I over think the finishing and I'd like to see how you attacked it.

Yes going back and picking out the corners. Must better then surfacing the whole cone with a 3/32 Ball endmill. I have used this toolpath for finishing different shapes. I have to remember to make the Fences surfaces to do what I want. Anything else and I don't get the exact results I am looking for.

A thing I will add is if you notice I don't have a stock defined. I wanted to leave a .005 finish pass. I figured out that using a smaller fence surface helps this one is .100 tall, but without a stock defined this toolpath looks to the height of the wall surface to determine the amount of stock for the cut. I went to the depth step page and made my 1st cut .095 and the last cut .005 and was able to get my .005 finish pass without having to define a stock model or use a surface to drive the toolpath. Need to go to the linking on the sub section and turn on the helix between slices to keep it from plunging into the next Multi-Axis cut.