Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

5-axis compensations

cnc_dog

Here's a snippet from mine:

# Rotary and Tilt Axis Setup -----------------------------------------------------------------------

use_md_rot_tilt : 1     #1 = Use parameters read from the machine def, 0 = Set values below

#Only fill out the values below if use_md_rot_tilt = no
srotname       : ""     #Name
srot_label     : ""     #Axis Label
rotax          : 0      #Axis of rotation (1=X, 2=Y, 3=Z)
rot_zero       : 0      #0 deg position
rot_cw_pos     : 0      #Direction
rot_min        : 0      #Min travel limit
rot_max        : 0      #Max travel limit
rotorigx       : 0      #Centre of rotation X
rotorigy       : 0      #Centre of rotation Y
rotorigz       : 0      #Centre of rotation Z
rot_index      : 0      #Axis positions to fixed angles only
rot_index_inc  : 0      #Index increment
rot_type       : 0      #Continuous axis type (0=Signed continuous, 1=Signed direction,
                        #2=Shortest distance)

MASTERCAM MP POST PROCESSOR    |
#| CNC Software, Inc.             |
#| Control Model: FANUC           |
#| Machine Model: RAMBADI         |
#| PST File Name: MPRAMBDI.PST/TXT|
#| Executable   : MP.EXE 3.06    

vmc1.pst

Edited by cnc_dog
added full post processor

This is the "rarest" of things. A completely "unbinned" and decidedly "old school", 5 Axis Post.

There is no provision inside this particular Post Processor to account for a "shift" between the rotary axes.

I hate to tell you this, but it is time to invest in a new Post Processor for your machine, if you need to account for that shift. There are only a couple people I know that could add the necessary logic, and I doubt they would be willing to work on a Post this old.

This Post was written in 1994, and was last updated in 1995.

I see think I see the initials of Pete Rimkis in there...

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

What version of Mastercam are you running? I might take a stab at this, just for fun, but the logic looks like it is "V9" at best. I don't see any "pre-defined" variable definitions, so I'm guessing you're maybe running V9? I think the oldest version I've got is X6. I had V9 running in "XP Mode", but that was difficult to do. I don't know if Windows 10 has an equivalent mode for running 32 bit programs?

What is the configuration of your 5X machine? Is it a "head/head" style? B/A head? Meaning "B" rotates about the "Y" Axis, and "A" rotates about "X"?

we have version 6 running on Windows XP.

the head arrangement is B-axis around the Y-axis and A-axis around the X.

This post processor has probably been modified since it mentions a Rambaudi but we use it for a VIPER VMC3100.

What would be the cost of upgrading this one verses buying a new post?

52 minutes ago, cnc_dog said:

This post processor has probably been modified since it mentions a Rambaudi but we use it for a VIPER VMC3100.

Not sure you can get a new post for that version. Might be surprised what getting current will cost in money, but more surprised how much money is being lost not have a modern CAM Software to do the job.

40 minutes ago, cnc_dog said:

Time to upgrade MC (you are about 15 versions behind) and Post. You will find it difficult to get support for versions that old......and your functionality will improve by several orders of magnitude.

Unfortunately you will basically be buying a new seat as upgrading through that many versions  will be more expensive than just buying a new seat........

54 minutes ago, cnc_dog said:

5 k new computer 

12k new license for multiaxis mastercam

2k new post.

2 hours ago, nickbe10 said:

And what were you doing in 1994 Colin.....?

I was a sophomore in high school. So, playing the Bassoon, Playing Paint Ball, and Civil Air Patrol. That was my life. 

2 hours ago, pullo said:

He was starting to use the first properly working version of Mastercam a.k.a version 4 !  

The processor was a 486  the screen a crt 21 "  and the whole PC cost something like 14 000 US , now 30 000 US 

Lol. Not quite. I didn't start machining until 1995, and didn't start learning Mastercam until the 1997.

53 minutes ago, cnc_dog said:

Send me a Private Message with your contact info and we can discuss it.

My biggest issue is that I won't be able to test the output from the Post. I would have to write the code, and send it to you to test. I could also take your code, and update it to the "modern" standard, so I can test the output in Mastercam 2018, and once the output is working, paste that code into your Post, and have you testthe final "V6" version of the output.

On 2/14/2018 at 12:39 PM, cnc_dog said:

We have a 5-axis VMC that has the A and B pivot distances offset by 0.020".

Is it possible to mechanically adjust this out? Might be cheaper than buying a new post.  I know on my Head/Head machines there are jack screws so I can adjust the rotary center locations to pull offset out in all but one direction (60mm offset).

17 hours ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

I had V9 running in "XP Mode", but that was difficult to do. I don't know if Windows 10 has an equivalent mode for running 32 bit programs?

Easiest way to do this is VMWare running a copy of Windows XP, with V9 installed on it. I'm currently running dual monitor, and most of the time WinXP is on one monitor with V9, while Win10 and Mcam2018 are on the other.