Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Windows 10 Spring Creators Update

gcode

Windows 10 Spring Creators Update

Sometime in April, Microsoft's update servers will begin delivering the Windows 10 Spring Creators Update, version 1803, to current installations of Windows 10 that have been running for at least 30 days. 

This is the latest feature update in Microsoft's new twice-a-year release cadence, and you should view it with the skepticism any initial public release of a new Windows version deserves. In a business setting, that typically means delaying the upgrade for a few months while you deploy the new release on a smaller number of test devices.

This deferral process is available only on PCs running business and education editions, such as Windows 10 Pro, Windows 10 Enterprise, and Windows 10 Education. Windows 10 Home does not offer any deferral options.

Given the trouble Win 10/Mastercam users had with last years Fall Creators Update, it might be a good idea to shut this upgrade off

and let someone else be the guinea pig.

This article from ZD Net  explains how.

My apologies for the autoplay commercials on ZD Net

• Like 1

Go to Settings > Update & security > Advanced options to see all three options, which I have labeled in the screenshot on this page.

Option 1 allows you to choose a servicing channel (previously called a branch). The default setting is Semi-Annual Channel (Targeted), which corresponds to what was previously known as the Current Branch.

You can change this setting to Semi-Annual Channel (the new name for what was previously known as Current Branch for Business, as shown here. That defers feature updates until Microsoft declares them "ready for business deployment," a milestone that typically occurs about four months after the initial release.

I just tried this on my machine and Semi Annual (Targeted) was the only option available, which means I won't get the update until MS deems it "ready for business deployment"

so I have also set the "Feature Update" drop down to 180 days

............. so its not just me that curses this piece of crap Windows 10 update. I have been accustomed to having 2 or 3 instances of Mastercam open at a time as I program for multiple machines. That is a thing of the past, as it is now difficult to even have no issues with a single instance running. 

Carmen

Nothing wrong with windows 10, Its a solid OS, likely the best Microsoft ever made.

There are however a lot of things to dial in. You have to remember OS software is made to work on every pieces of hardware configuration world wide(within limitations) so you can see there may or may not be issues.

95% of PC issues are due to setup, most people install OS a few drivers and expect everything to work 100%, sorry to break it to you but not likely not going to happen. PC's require some basic know how and a little time to set up, and some common sense.

Aside form my main Precision Laptop I use to run my business I have a 7 year old tower with an AMD gaming card that runs Mastercam like a champ, on windows 10 in 3440x1440, Zero issues it's a little slow at generating large 5x or surfacing paths but it's a good example of what the hardware is capable of if you keep control of the xxxx you install on a PC, and do a little maintenance. I even game on thing the latest and greatest games at medium settings with 40_ FPS full screen.

Ive installed MCX on brand new PC where the specs blow it out of the water, but it turns out to be a $4-5k turd because they installed some BS software to make the lights change colors, or some bloatware music service with 400+ dubious "services" or browser plugins,  among other stupid xxxx people do.

I do agree with GCode about deferring updates, as its  Microsoft is pushing out "Public beta, or PC1 in MC terms  as you will.

My 2 gripes with W10, is when it does update I have to spend some time to redial a few things in as Microsoft will reinstall the xxxx I've stripped or turning off, and you have minimal control of when it updates, always seems to be when I'm booting up at a customer or "I need to check something quick"

There are a million resources for how to properly install and setup a PC OS, the main one I've used tweakhound.com for forever and his strategy of setting up a box is to make it fully functional but streamline it.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Codeworx said:

My 2 gripes with W10, is when it does update I have to spend some time to redial a few things in as Microsoft will reinstall the xxxx I've stripped or turning off, and you have minimal control of when it updates

11 hours ago, Codeworx said:

you have minimal control of when it updates

That. That right there is why I don't have any Win10 boxes.

• 3 months later...