Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Help for open a pocket on a cylinder

David Colin

This is a common machining i have to do: To open a pocket on a cylinder. I would like to optimize toolpaths because stock isn't a box but cylinder. So if i use a standard 2d pocket function, tool is gonna loose too much time. I usually manage this with contour toolpath+2d pocket but i'm pretty sure there are better and quickier ways to make it. Probably with surfaces machining functions. Any advices ?

I uploaded a file on Cadcam FTP (Directory: MC9 / Filename: POCKET-OPENING.MC9)

Hi David

What Toolfab has suggested is the fastest & best way

I would like to add that instead of drilling u could ramp and then move the endmill around the edge.

That avoids the drilling cycle

I would recommend using a round insert bull cutter with a shank of a lesser diameter to avoid rubbing against the wall.

Hope this makes sense headscratch.gif

So dont give me curse.gifbonk.gifflame.gif

+1 to James.

I always draw a boundary that is a little bigger than the tool dia around my box or cylinder.

Then when you run a pocket on the 2-d lines, the tool will plunge OFF the workpiece.

Using a Zig-Zag path with the finish outer boundary unchecked and KEEP the tool down checked. Finish boundary after each pass.

Murlin

Hello all,

quote:

So if i use a standard 2d pocket function, tool is gonna loose too much time

I am also having this problem

quote:

What about just drilling thru then sending an endmill around the edge and just dropping that chunk into the cavity.

That is what I do for small pockets. But what would you do if you had a 20"Ø pocket to open on the diameter of a 100"Ø cylinder?

Have a nice day,

David .

I can do it in a lot of ways .

If it is a through pocket the simplest way to do is a 3d contour .

It can be a problem if you are taking more then one cut ,because if you have fillets and pocket is angled ,keeping tangency draws to the tool jumping too deep in some places .

If it not a prob ,that`s the simplest way .

My part before a couple of days I did in this manner .

You can always also make the contour toolpath and project it on a cylinder .

the same for a pocket .

You can also make a regular poket and trim the toolpath after that too .

A bit dirty but works .

The best is to project ,IMHO

You want some example ?!?

Yes, this is fine for finish!

But what i really would like is to rough with constant z-depth (tool/material) and let Mcam to stop contours according to stock boundaries(surface cylinder).

A stuff we didn't talk here about opening pockets that way (contour and let middle part) is vibrations at the end of contour...

What i do is this cut through countour with offset value 2-3 mm and then finish like I showed .

BTW in project make faked pocket and point surface project operation to it and you will get nice pocket .

But the best is contour - less vibrations ,if you set your depth right (checked ) IMHO .

And very fast

The last cut enter deeper 3-5 millimeters with depth take off 1 mm and less RPM you will not have big vibrations .

I do it in steel with success always

You can leave on the contour tab like in wire EDm ,put MO ,broke all tabs by hand and make finish cut .All is possible .

But I prefer simple things ,I would go with contour ,and remember I run my machines ,I would never write something not good for me

HTH

Hi David, I've done a trim on your toolpath, it helps a little but I'd like to have some peoples help on 2 boundaries for trimming, has anyone succeed with 2 boundaries? Look at the file POCKET-OPENING-SIMON and try to select the 2 cyan (color 11) boundaries, would be nice if it'd work. HTH!

Simon