Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T OGS exocarb-max Extra-long drills

Tim Johnson

am I confused,a .093 dia. drill at 30 times dia. to depth ratio with thru tool coolant? i don't think I've ever seen something like that. eek.gif

how do you keep that thing from "whipping" at 10700 rpm and almost 3" projection ? it would be cool to see. cheers.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Make sure they guarantee those specs B4 you try it too. That's nearly .002 IPT, kinda agressive for that small of a diameter and L:D ratio. But.. I've seen OSG tools do some pretty miraculous things in that past so.... rolleyes.gif

JM2C

I say don't be afraid to use their recommended

Speeds and feeds, especially if they're going

to stand behind it.

I've had nothing but good results and sometimes

first crack at the latest and greatest when I'm

willing to play guinea pig. tongue.giftongue.gif

PEACE biggrin.gif

quote:

am I confused,a .093 dia. drill at 30 times dia. to depth ratio with thru tool coolant? i don't think I've ever seen something like that.

how do you keep that thing from "whipping" at 10700 rpm and almost 3" projection ? it would be cool to see

I use osg drills alot - exocarb max rocks, trust me

you will be surprised the abuse these drills can endure.I have to peck alot of the time though not recomended only because the flutes are not as long as the depths I need to drill so I will normally go 80% of flute depth no peck then peck from there - Also DO NOT CENTERDRILL thats bad. smile.gif

quote:

Also DO NOT CENTERDRILL thats bad.

whats a center drill?

lol its been a while since i used one of those.even when i do work on steel.

hijack:

hows it been going corey?

calling for 8-10 inches of snow here today

trevor

Trev,

Pretty good, didnt take long to get over Erie winters, mid 60's Lately, rainy, but NO SNOW, its funny if they predicted 8 inches of snow here they start panicing 2-3 days ahead of time, they start salting the roads days in advance so all the rain before the snow washes it off the road

banghead.gif

Those rumors about the grocery stores running out of milk and bread with an inch of snow, yea they are not rumors.My daughter had 11 snow days and we have had a TOTAL of 10.5 inches for the year. headscratch.gif

Are you guys staying busy? How about the building expansion? Well tell everyone I said hi.

corey,

quote:

Are you guys staying busy? How about the building expansion? Well tell everyone I said hi

we were real busy up til about a week ago , 40 hrs for next couple weeks.im sure well pick up again.

the expansion is still in the dream stages as far as i know.

glad all is well your way.

trevor

• 4 months later...

Well, we finally got the drills in and tested themn. (Actually three weeks ago, I'm just now getting around to report how they worked.) They came in just in time for a 6063 extrusion job. The rep changed the process to treating the drill as a gun drill and changed the speeds to 10000 at 47ipm. The drill snapped on the first hole. We shortened the drilling depth and the second drill worked but the material was birdnesting so we changed speeds and feeds to try to get the chips to break but was unsuccessful. After that we considered the test as failed but I invited him back the next week to test in 2024 which is what we mainly run anyway. The next test he came back and wanted to change speeds to 8000 at 20ipm. We snapped the drill on the first part. I finally talked him into allowing me to peck the drill halfway into the cut (which I tried with the 6063) and the drill worked. After running a couple more parts he left and asked me to keep him appraised on how it was running since I was a bit miffed at paying $229.00 a drill for 20ipm when I was quoted at 40ipm. We started running production but forgot to reset the speeds to what was tested and ran the next pallet at 10000 at 47ipm. It worked fine so we ran the whole order. At 60 parts on this order we saved $169.00 in time savings running two holes per part.

In summary the test was successful in 2024 and I'm sure I can chip break the 6063. Downside is it took 14 weeks to receive the drills so we'll need to keep more spares on hand. I also think the rep was not very good or experienced in field testing. He did say that OSG wasn't prepared for the demand of the exocarb-max Extra-long drills and are scrambling to build more grinders. Everyone of these types of drill are considered specials. Another thing, if you ask for a 30 times diameter drill expect it to drill 27 times deep. The flutes are ground to 30 times Dia.

quote:

I also think the rep was not very good or experienced in field testing. He did say that OSG wasn't prepared for the demand of the exocarb-max Extra-long drills and are scrambling to build more grinders.

+ a million

This is my biggest issue with them, I to had to do some experimenting with the pecking I was drilling 56 RC 420 with a .25 drill a little over 3 inches deep, 1st off I didnt have that flute length, but listening to what the rep said I tried because he was there 5800 60 ipm, Boom got no where, so I changed to 2700 rpm at 12ipm(basically I cut his SFM in half)cut good till it got about an inch deep then it disintegrated I chose to try and peck set it for every 3/4 inch, worked great 1 drill lasted through 32 holes Also using through coolant.With that technology I can send something to heat treat without a waterline layout and worry about it later and it allows me to drill it close to as fast hard as it does soft.

Cory,

I was lucky in the fact that the rep was there, therefore the broken drill were free. But I was told by three different people three different process on how to use the drill. That tells me that not much training is going and not much communication either. When a company such as OSG presents new tooling there should be some kind of training for the reps such as who will benefit from the perticular tooling and the process in which it should be used. I couldn't believe my ears when he told me to treat it as a gun drill. I use 3/32" hss taper length drills sticking out 3.75" running at 6655 rpm without any problem. Why should I have a problem with a carbide drill sticking out 2.96" at 10000 rpm? The Chicago office told me to drill it like a regular drill without spotdrilling. I'm inclined to believe that, but at $229 a drill I can't afford to play around with them. Maybe after these drills pay for themselves I will. smile.gif

Humans !

I found long ago that what works in theory not always will work 4 U .

Especially long drills and I drilled a bunch .

Once I milled tungstam ( 1 % Fe ) ,ha-ha and some nasty alloys that deep drilling was a problem ,but standing on conventional radial drill I made them without much pain ,slowly ,but surely .

I tried Goering ,kennametal ,OSG and some others .

Most of representatives said -NO pecking .

NO,NO,NO !!!

wHAT ABOUT CHIP BREAKING -10 DIAMETERS DEEP ???

No probs ,the drill will stand it !!!

It never was so !

I asked one rep that looked most intelligent -Why all this hell with no pecking ???

He said - Winnie ,the real prob that drilled diameter can be less a bit then a drill or a burr will break a drill when it will enter hole on G83 .

I said - And that`s all ?

Yes ,this human said .

But real tests of mine showed that second prob can be when you extracting from hole in G0 a drill full of chips .

So I wrote my custom parametric drill cycle :

Sorta spec. deep drilling -first peck ,slowly leaving a hole ,optonal stop with skip block to clean drill from chips ,if there are need , slowly entering hole ,moving faster inside of it ,second peck and so on ).

It worked !!!

I was smoking my cigarette puffing up ^~^ Pooh -Pooh ^~^ while one drill was drilling fast and tool life was fantastiQue.

HTH

Winnie teh Drillman^Lazy