Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam 2020 open pocket help

ujmujm

I'm trying to do a open pocket tool path in mastercam 2020 and instead of the tool starting at the open end of the pocket, the tool starts at the middle of the pocket, I have all the  parameters selected just like previous versions put the end mill insist on starting in the middle of the pocket, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

On 8/15/2019 at 9:52 AM, gcode said:

on the roughing page there is a check box labeled

"rough from inside out"

make sure it is unchecked

Do you mean "Spiral inside to outside"?  When I choose open pocket method, that box is already greyed out.

I've done this in the past by doing a Dynamic operation, choosing a closed chain for the pocket, and selecting the open areas as "air regions"

It's a pretty common operation, that I feel like Mastercam should handle a little better.

53 minutes ago, JB7280 said:

It's a pretty common operation, that I feel like Mastercam should handle a little better.

:rant on:

While Mastercam does have its idiosyncrasies, those are FAR from the biggest problem I see and have seen...

Lack of training is the single biggest issue....I'm sorry but videos, book and online tutorials don't cut it my my book. There is NO substitution for a student sitting in class with an instructor going through use, while the trainee gets hands on experience digging through the menu and finding things that right then and there, they can query the instructor on and actually learn how to use.

Instead, people riddle  the internet with blogs and other crap going on about how this doesn't do what I want or this doesn't work or the such.....when spending time with a live person would answer any question, generally in a few minutes.

Having been on the front lines of people buying the software, not taking a moment of REAL training and a week later not having a clue of how to do the simplest task and relying on Tech Support to now training them....it's not a prescription for success.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking what IHS, Colin and other online sites provide be it video or book form, they can most certainly be helpful. I'm just saying that a person right in front of you is FAR better for learning on the go.

:rant off:

As far as handling it better...it's pretty simple to use...

Chain your 3 sides leaving the open end, pick your tool, set it to Open Pocket, I use the Open Pocket method, if you do, your roughing options are unavailable, if you don't use the open pocket method,  your roughing patterns are available BUT depending on geometry shape, they are cases where it will start inside....think an hourglass shape, where is narrows the pocket down, that can cause issues, when it does, 2D dynamic is a better option

Set the cutting settings for the tool and go...

Here's a quick video

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2r17rm2bqup6e91/2019-08-17_7-17-19.mp4?dl=0

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Old_Bear said:

:rant on:

While Mastercam does have its idiosyncrasies, those are FAR from the biggest problem I see and have seen...

:rant off:

I'll PM you so as not to hijack this thread.  I do partially agree with you though.

Before submitting my earlier post, I made a toolpath, basically identical to what you said, and it worked, but didn't cut the whole pocket.  I didn't spend a lot of time, so maybe the shape of that pocket just didn't lend itself to that method. (you're the "old_bear", so I always try so soak up the techniques you post on here) I have had decent success using the dynamic method I posted though.

• 1 month later...

I find for open pockets that area, dynamic and peel are my go-to paths.  The pocket path feeds back and on small pockets is no biggie.  However, larger pockets I want to rapid back.  Dynamic is hands down my favorite but I also find that the dynamic motion at times increases cycle time so I use area.  It all depends.  I also use Peel set to traditional to rough open pockets with out plowing in the middle.