Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

FTP site and viruses

Code_Breaker

I need some help and advice. Our administrator thinks that the cadcam's FTP site is one of the sources of computer viruses.

How many people have been infected with a virus because of this site? What is the level of confident in using this site?

I need lots of input to give him, to prove that it is OK to get files from this site. biggrin.gif

Thanks,

Code_Breaker

cheers.gif

The only time I got a virus was the day I upgraded from dial-up to DSL. On this day my computer would barely boot-up and I spent most of the weekend installing a new hard drive and all the programs, then copying the data from the original hard drive. Since I have installed the hardware firewall and anti-virus software I have not gotten a virus at all. The Norton Anti-virus has not even detected a virus since I installed the firewall last August. I read this board everyday, and I download a few things from the FTP also. I do not consider it a source of virus' (virii, what is the proper plural!?!?!) for me.

quote:

Our administrator thinks that the cadcam's FTP site is one of the sources of computer viruses

I'd like to see him say that to Jay's face bonk.gif

The main source of viruses in a corperate network

are people forwarding stuff 10000 times.

We were getting hammered all the time here. They

installed Symantec Antivirus Coprerate Edition

and we've had no further problems.

The Antivirus softwware slows MC down a little, but you can tweak the setting to get around it.

And for your info. Let the Admin know that I run Norton Corp edition of antiviruse that intagreates with my exchange and is updated every other day along with weekly scans and I have not had a virus in my network in years..

This FTP is scan every week.

Along with that I now go and check the FTP my self every week for *.exe file and some other types and remove them.

Along with you can not have the option to excute any type of file thru the FTP.

Hope this helps.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

+1 to the administrator being an idiot! Tell the boss to fire him and hire a professional. He's just a lazy fool that does not want to do his job.

quote:

...Admin says antivirus software can't keep up with new viruses...

Well no $#!+ sherlock! I suppose he got an "atta boy" from the boss and a pretty looking certificate from some mail order MCSE school for making that observation too! What a retard. The true reason we have such prolific virus spreads is because 90% (or more) of the computer users out there lack common sense. They lack basic computer skills and posess absolutely no knolwedge about what viruses do, how they spread, and most importantly how they get in in the first place.

James teh feeling a little testy this morning... curse.gifcurse.gifcurse.gifcurse.gif

Only a fool lets his AV software expire. And only a fool (see: Administrator) doesn't teach his people about opening email attachments. Which is the biggest form of spreading virus'.

Actually one of the best ways to reduce your risk is to NOT use Internet Explorer or Outlook (Mozilla Rules). I will agree that there are some things that will not work right (like accessing the ftp) unless your using IE. But Mozilla works for 98% of what I need.

Oh Yea! I downloaded some stuff for the first time the other day and had no problems at all. Thanks Jay for keeping my PC safe cheers.gif .

Mike Mattera

I have never had problems with anything from Jay's FTP. I have downloaded TONS of files with NO virus's. I wouldn't call your Admin an idiot, if someone who is familiar with FTP's but is not familiar with Jay's, I can see why the assumption was there.

I am the admin here, so I feel for the dude. That said, the FTP that Jay lets us use for this forum is clean, safe, and well kept. I have nothing but good things to say about the way the FTP is managed.

He needs to understand that there is no cause for alarm, and maybe he should point the finger at himself.

I have educated our users, and installed Symantec Corprated edition, with constant updates. Maybe he should too.

I am running Norton 2004 with the subscription updates. I have NEVER had a virus warning (or a virus sneak through) for ANYTHING I have ever downloaded from Jay's FTP. I wish that I could say the same for email - but Norton has always snagged them before I got nailed. I have mine set up to scan EVERYTHING that comes into my computer (including removeable media). Our IT admins here are very pro-active about letting us know about the latest threats and how to help them combat the problems. 95% or more of the problems are with EMAIL!!!!!

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...Did you send this thread? ...
eek.gif

LOL. All of us are ripping the guy to shreds... that would be hilarious ot see the expression on his face when he reads,

quote:

...Your administrator is an idiot... Bullsh?? of your Administrator.... Sounds like you need a new administrator. One that checks things out and knows what he's doing.... He's just a lazy fool that does not want to do his job.... What a retard.... maybe he should point the finger at himself....

LOL!!!!!

James teh bring the torch baby!!!!! biggrin.gif