Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Engraving from SW models

Rstewart

Hey guys,

One of the newer guys here was asking how I go about engraving lettering on Solidworks models that have text extrude cut into it.  I have always just created letters (box font) approximately over the solid lettering.

Some of these parts have a good bit of engraving, is there a faster, easier solution out there?

Do you have access to SW and the files directly? If so what i've done in the past was gone in and changed the feature (copied the text) and made it into a note then brought that in also. xxxx for tat what's faster for ya. i usually ended up doing as you and creating the text in cam to get it done quicker.

• Like 1

In my experience Using the "engraving toolpath" for regular numbering/lettering w/ a ballnose EM just kinda Sucks.  Maybe I'm doing it wrong? 

When you use the create letters tab in MC >  contour > window select geo > compensation OFF > Done....   But you have to create geometry and screw around sizing/placement.

I was just curious if someone had a trick on engraving right from the solid (models created in SW).   

This, for instance is something I get all the time.

Engraving.JPG

• Like 1

What I usually do is select the bottom of each letter modeled, do a contour ramp toolpath with a 1/32" ball, left comp, no lead in/out, and do negative stock to leave.  Usually -.005" will get me what I want.  You'll have to play with the stock to leave depending on size of the lettering.

engraving.png

• Like 1
On 4/15/2022 at 8:23 AM, Rstewart said:

In my experience Using the "engraving toolpath" for regular numbering/lettering w/ a ballnose EM just kinda Sucks.  Maybe I'm doing it wrong? 

When you use the create letters tab in MC >  contour > window select geo > compensation OFF > Done....   But you have to create geometry and screw around sizing/placement.

I was just curious if someone had a trick on engraving right from the solid (models created in SW).   

Engraving.JPG

What I do is contour the top of the part, use ramp/depth with pass at final depth. Use computer comp, turn off roll around corners and infinite look ahead. For a cutter I use 1/8" 90 deg included chamfermill. Stock to leave at -.0575". This puts the tip .005" inside the contour. Linking depth -.006". Verify and adjust. If some letters are too narrow and are left out, try -.06" stock to leave.

Mike

• Like 3
On 4/15/2022 at 8:23 AM, Rstewart said:

Engraving.JPG

This is  a piece of cake. I normally use a 60° engraving tool. The way I would do this is start on the left top. With the A I first would climb cut the chain on the outside then climb cut the inside triangle. Climb cut chain the two colon dots  and so on... I always chain the top surface and typically give a depth of .020 but if there is not enough room for that depth the software will leave the depth short. At each sharp corner the software will climb up the corner wall and leave a sharp corner, feed back down and continue to the next corner leaving nice looking sharp edges on the top surface.

The engraving path (especially with what is shown) more than likely will not engrave the path in the order that it was programmed but that's not a big deal. I would guess that 70% to 80% of our manifolds and about and 20% of our castings are engraved.

Over on the dark side, ehem "NX"  we have had good success using a de burr operation on modeled text. Pick the face with recessed text, set the depth, set the entry to plunges and generate. You might have to exclude other face edges or build a check body as a trim boundary but it is pretty quick. Maybe a similar process would work with mastercam.

Eric

• Like 1