Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Critical Issue with MR0304 - Read this now

To all Users and Dealers of Mastercam Mill, Lathe, and Router version MR0304

The Problem:

We have discovered a problem with the MR0304 release of software that could create a serious problem if not addressed. This problem requires 3 specific conditions to exist before it manifests itself.

1. - It affects Milling toolpaths in the Lathe, Mill, and Router products.

2. - The toolpath has to be created with a Toolplane other than Top. This could include 3D and Multiaxis toolpaths.

3. - Your Post is using the XR, YR, ZR variables.

What are we doing about it?

We have tracked down the problem and fixed it and are now trying to find a solution for the problem that initiated the change in the first place. As soon as we have new executables we will release them. We plan to have a release to address this problem this week. The release may be a small patch that will update the EXE, which is the preferred method, or it will be a whole new EXE. Either way the correction will be available here, on our Web site, and from your Dealer.

Until that time you should check your NCI files before posting to make sure your Machine will not be affected negatively by this problem.

Here are the Technical Details:

There is a bug with MR0304 where it writes the XYZ rapid positions (11th - 13th parameters on the NCI toolchange lines - 1001, 1000, 1002) incorrectly. These 3 parameters should match the XYZ of the first rapid move after the toolchange line.

Examples from SP2 and MR0304 - Problem areas are surrounded by <<<>>>

From MR0304 - Values DO NOT match

0 100 2 1 1 1 0 1800 18. 0 <<<1. 1.5 -0.5>>> 0. 0. 0. 0 0.

0 <<<0.5 1.5 1.>>> -2. 0

From SP2 - Values match

0 100 2 1 1 1 0 1800 18. 0 <<<0.5 1.5 1.>>> 0. 0. 0. 0 0.

0 <<<0.5 1.5 1.>>> -2. 0

This will cause a problem with posts that use the XR, YR and ZR variables (which get their values from the 11th, 12th, and 13th parameters of the NCI toolchange lines 1001, 1000, 1002).

If your posts use the XR, YR or ZR variables, we strongly suggest you DO NOT use the MR0304 release until the patch to fix this bug is available. Please contact your Mastercam Reseller for additional information.

quote:

So james it was not your programming after all.

On that note...

I've just finished two weeks of trying to diagnose a gouging issue in programs I sent to one of my customers (and dealing with the scarred reputation) only to have him tell me today that the first time it gouged (two and half weeks ago) the control went ape $hit from extra characters added in the program because of poor transmission problems (fluctuating power to the machine as it turns out). He even admitted to knowing about it becuase he compared the code on the control to the program I emailed him but chose not to mention it and instead told me to "...check your programming because it gouged one of my moulds...".

He's going to pay...literally.

steve

LoL,

I posted this on another forum on 4/22/04 biggrin.gif

cheers.gif to CNC!

quote:

I don't know if you've ever wrote a computer application, but I have and I can tell you from experience that NOBODY ever gets it right the first time. I laugh when I hear people cry about patches and bug fixes: "MY software company doesn't release patches/bug fixes every 6 months" they say. And I'm left to wonder just how long they really have to live with those bugs.

'Rekd teh not all product loyalists suck.. wink.gif

Ken,

Any idea how far out the patch will be??

I've been putting the hard sell on my boss

to get maintenance.

I don't want to close the sale and have to say

"We can't use it yet cause there is a bug" biggrin.gif

I really appreciate the heads up, but my boss would ask me why he just wrote a check for something that was broken headscratch.gifbiggrin.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

..Maybe I should have been in sales. NOT!!!
biggrin.gif
NOT!!!...

+1 for me. I'm so not a salesman. It takes a special type of person that can do that and I am not that person.

Yeah James I hear you there. I don't like all the BS that goes along with it. I don't mind tslking to customers but since I tell it like it is the bosses get mad. I love it when the owners tell a customer we can do their part in 2 days and I tel lthe customer it would take 2 weeks right now. I have got a great one right now. Ultemp 2300 parts that the owenrs told the customer we could hold .002 true position on the parts that have bore requiring .181 holes 2.94 through and holding a +.0002 -.0000 size yeah like that is really going to happen. I just love the guy who designed the part also I mean yeah I would remove 90% of the material ask for sharp internal corners and .002 surface profile requirements also.

I sent one job out where the parts where such a pain in the arse that are going down to -320 F and undercuts and just very stupid crazy crap oh yeah out of SS and they are being spilt along the bore and please hold a 1.2 rms was what they asked for originally and when I told them they need ot change it to soemthing like 32 rms the educated group at this unveristy about had a crap fit when I tried explaining what they were really asking for was not the same as what they had put on a piece of paper funny thing was the owners again quoted $1000 a part that in my mind was a freaking no quote ot being with. Oh the joys of people who want ot make money but have no clue how. I really liek the job we are finishing up that was quoted at about $100,000 and problay cost us $140,000 when it was all said and done and been going on sicne august of last year. Oh yeah your department is not making any money and why did you just spend $400 on endmills to cut part and do so when you had not done so for months. You need ot sned all of those endmills back. What about this job you just took on with 20 parts that is problay going to eat and endmill a part. Find a way without having to get endmills. Funny yes funny indeed.

The fix for MR0304 is completed and available on the maintenance area of the website. There are 3 patches one for Mill, Lathe and Router respectively. It is only 250KB so it won't take long to download. The patch updates 4 files Mill9.exe, Lathe9.exe, Router9.exe and MCTUTL.dll. There is a link on the Maintenance page to a document explaining the problem and instructions to install the patches. This patch only fixes the NCI error no other fixes have been included.

This fix is only for Maintenance users whom installed MR0304.

Mastercam Maint. Page