Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Surface problem

daveDM

Hi there. Please check ATEST.MC9 in the MC9 folder.

I basically wanna cut this surface. I tried with wireframe 2d but cutter does wierd move at the end of profile. It goes up to z=0 on every pass. and I realized cutter compensation is wierd too. DO I have to do 3d surface for this? if so, please give me a direction. thanks

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is your file a surf? use your surface toolpaths. 2D wireframe on surfs won't be as accurate. surface toolpaths force the cutter to 'stay on the surf' at all times. with 2D or 3D wireframe toolpaths this is not the case. i'll take a look at your file tomorrow at work.

swept wireframe toolpaths will violate your surface as it cuts across the part.

quote:

DO I have to do 3d surface for this?

yep.

saw your file. i dont use wireframe toolpaths but i saw 40 ipm plunge rates, 150 ipm feed for alum 2024. eek.gif

maybe not much material to mill [not a block of alum, correct?] if it is rough it.

i'd make a surf, do a surface/rough cut or 2 then surface/finish toolpaths.

swept toolpaths are used in production type jobs but you have to observe a machined part or 2 before mass production.

HTH cheers.gif

+1 Mick.

And they allow negative stock to leave .

But they are not so safe (a mistake can be made easily ),have limitations -no splines ,noneffective -constant step down and do not have check contours and check surfaces .

Dave ,take off infinite look ahead and I hope you`ll get what you want .

I have not checked only side of compensation ,I leave this to you -tired (it is deep night here )

Regards

WTHH

Thanks again everybody!

>BerTau 1" ball = 1" Sphere tool right?

I was told before about using Sphere tool for wireframes. but for this one, it still does the same thing even with 1" sphere tool. If u did it successfully with sphere tool, can u upload the file for me? and please someone upload surface version too? please. cuz I still can't make it even with surface.

THanks!

I found you have a very complex surface. I did it with parelle no probelm but think you migth not have level 3 so did it with Wirefram Swepth 3d. I did 1 across and then grabbed the top and botton as the along took a really long time. It this is the type of work you do need ot bug the boos the get level 3 could have programmed this whole part complete in less than 45 mintues you have fussed with this thing for a couple days now would have paid for the level 3 just there.

quote:

If u did it successfully with sphere tool, can u upload the file for me?

It's up - called Atest-BT.mc9

I copied your op, changed to a 1" ball tool, -also changed to center comp instead of tip( just for the appearance), regen - looks OK to me.

What do you think?

quote:

First off, I am almost 100% sure you cannot use flat or bull nose cutters with wireframe toolpath.

I just did a couple 2D swept today with a bullnose. I do recall having some problems if I changed my along and across though.

Thad

Hi Thad,

Did you cut some parts and check them?? Were they correct?

I just took DaveDM's geometry and used his toolpath with 3 different cutters,1.063 flat, 1 ball, 1.063 x .25 rad bull. I ran verify with each op and saved an STL file. I merged all 3 together and it was obvious that I had 3 different results.

Looking at the backplot of each in the side view it is obvious that the tool follows the geometry only with the ball cutter.

I wish I could find someplace in the help file where it clarified this. Dr. Lin's book even suggests flat and bull cutters work with wireframe toolpaths.

Can anybody from CNC please give us an answer??? Pretty please???

PS How was the model engine show??

davedm,

i put a file on the ftp called " atest with surf"

you did not have much for geometry so i was not sure what you actually wanted.take a look and let us know more specifically what your after.the wire frame you have will most likely not give you a smooth transition where it angles up.

do you not have the capabilities to read a iges or something into mc?

what mill level do you have?

you said: quote

I basically wanna cut this surface

you have no surface.

more info is needed to help you thru this in my opinion.

trevor

Thanks everybody for the help. But I don't think I can use any of those programs.

Please check ATEST.JPG

First of all Ball nose with Center compensation solves the Cutter compensation problem( I must use flat mill though.)

But it's still doing wierd move on both ends. on the lower ends cutter still travelling Up on every pass. right? that shouldn't be there. and on the Lower end( RED circle in ATEST.JPG) it is cutting into the piece near the end of the program. That's what I was asking about.

Thanks.

Dave .

I am working on your file now .

But because I have other things to do I will put it on ftp in 5-6 hours

Wireframe toolpathes can be done with flat nose end mills .

I will do it with wireframe toolpathes ,will do it on surfaces and will build solid

I will do a couple of different toolpathes ...just for fun .

Regards

DaveDM,

Something is screwy, on my screen I don't get the same as your picture.

Are you using Mill level 3 Ver 9.1 SP2?

If not, what are you using?

Have you talked to your reseller?

-------------

Winnie - I know you are busy but I want to see what you can do!!!

I'm using ver 9.0 mill, don't know what level though.. where can i see the info?

But ver 9.0 and 9.1 and sp1 sp2, different levels, they all cut differently? I didn't know that. I thought lighter ver. just don't have all the features like surface and 3ds.