Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Dynamic Section View?

sharles

My supervisor uses the old Powershape/Powermill software and he's able to dynamically do section views of a part. It's really helpful especially when we are doing engineering changes and he can lay the old surfaces over the new ones so we can see how much change there is. I've been reading about the Section View Mastercam can create and even created one earlier this morning, but it seems 'static'. He can just take his slide bar and move the section view thru the entire part, if that makes sense.

Does Mastercam have that ability?

Thanks

You can create the plane that you want to use for the section view and then 'edit' the plane while still in the section view and move it in a single direction dynamically.  That might give you close to what you're looking for.  When you move the plane it will move the section view along with the plane.

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, neurosis said:

You can create the plane that you want to use for the section view and then 'edit' the plane and move it in a single direction dynamically.  That might give you close to what you're looking for.  When you move the plane it will move the section view along with the plane.

Thanks, I'll give that a try. That sounds like it may work.

I just gave that a try. I went into the planes manager and  hit "edit" and then drug the gnomons along the part and it dynamically sectioned the part and I could use my space ball to move the part so I could see it better. I'll have to try that on an engineering change in the future.

Thanks!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, sharles said:

I'll have to try that on an engineering change in the future.

Extremely useful way of using it. Did an up-rev'd part not long ago and used the section view + edit to inspect where the holes got close to the part walls. Gave me a good idea of how far to poke the drill without breaking through.

I also made 2 separate planes I could section with to check backplotting, if you use this feature more I'd map it to a keystroke. I have mine on Shift+S to toggle it and check my work while I go.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, OVodov said:

What is really missing here is availability to flip section view using the same plane,

True,,, but in typical Mastercam programmers fashion, the user base has pushed this new feature far beyond

the design intent of the people who developed it 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, gcode said:

True,,, but in typical Mastercam programmers fashion, the user base has pushed this new feature far beyond

the design intent of the people who developed it 

Which should be an obvious clear sign to CNC Software that they need to step up their game and listen to their users. The Mastercam user-base knows what they want, where CNC Software really doesn't. 

20 minutes ago, MWearne said:

During the plane edit, you can grab an arc in the gnomon and rotate 180. Not an instant flip but still gets the job done.

Thank you for suggestion.

The point it I knew it and use it every day.

Just wanted to get my life a little easier and keep my custom plane direction as it was created.

Laziness is in my blood. 😉

3 minutes ago, OVodov said:

Thank you for suggestion.

The point it I knew it and use it every day.

Just wanted to get my life a little easier and keep my custom plane direction as it was created.

Laziness is in my blood. 😉

Right Click > Create Relative > and choose to create the "bottom" plane.

11 minutes ago, Aaron Eberhard said:

Right Click > Create Relative > and choose to create the "bottom" plane.

Thank you too.

I aware of this function and use it.

I just want it like in Solidworks - click the button and get section on other side that's it no more.