Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T Engraving

Joels

For engraving I take an 1/8 dia carbide round or old em shank and grind a 3 sided pyramid cutter. I set the cutter grinder to 15 deg or 20 deg. most of the time and grind to a sharp piont. Step down of .002, step over of .004 for roughing and .001 - .002 for finishing. Feed of 10 ipm and a rpm 10,000. Cuts well in soft or hardened steel.

Thank you all for your imput. We are not able to correctly grind tools in our shop. I will have to purchase these tools. Can you give me a idea of what to buy? this will be used to engrave letters on a flat piece of aluminum maybe .003 deep or less. this is for my boss so i has to be perfect. i am using a Fadal VMC 4020 pallet changer. 10000 RPM max

I would contact your local tool supplier or look on the net.Im in Australia so I dont think my supplier info would help you.

I get double endded single lip cutters.

They are ground to the centre line. Once it gets dull just turn around and use the other end.

Be carfull handling them they are sharp eek.gif

HTH cheers.gif

Midwest !

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3 sided pyramid cutter. I set the cutter grinder to 15 deg or 20 deg. most of the time and grind to a sharp piont.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I never grind to the sharp point ,No ,I grind to it ,but after that I take a little back angle

like 3-6 degrees to form little cutting dia at the bottom .

Tool life will be greater many times .( you can not mill with diameter Zero ).

Beeing lazy I do it by hand mostly (especially if I do it many times to get correct diameter )

HTH

ITHH

Midwest !

I doubt that I would check , most of my engarving nowadays are on copper ,steel,hardened steel and after even nitrocarbonizing(sometimes )

I have only 8000 rpm and did it in the past on 4000 rpm`s and in this materials chipping (as you call it ) is a must (IMHO).

And I do not have quantaties ,one-two parts max .

But I really will check at first possibility .

I am very sceptic ,I think your tip is broken a bit producing sorta chip aniway .

Have you seen it under microscope ?!?

It `s not a stubborness , only curiosity !

Regards

Iskander teh Owl

After you run the tool you do get a very slight working edge. If the tool chips you can see it very easily. I started cutting with only 3000 rpm's a few years back, you just have to slow the feed rate down. We build molds so we also do low quantities.

No flaming or laughing here guys... One cheap option to get the rpm's up is to take a "c" or "d" series spade drill holder in your spindle. They got nice big grooves down the side for chip evacuation, which also doubles as a vee to hose clamp a die grinder in. Waalaa, 26000 or whatever those things spin, spindle. All we have here are big machines, so no high rpm spindles. 2600 on a 6" floor bar is the fastest. This works like a charm too, its'cheap, might be a little hillbillyish, but it gets the job done. I guess you could get a speed up head also..... headscratch.gif but what fun would that be.

Greg