Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

same tool different material

Cnc Programmer

Hi

is there a way to assign different feed and speed on the same tools depending on the material , without having to change every tool?

this should be possible, we should be able in the tool parameter to assign different SFM for different material

I figure the best way would be to have all your tools sfm set up in your program for steal 1045  and by changing only the material in the machine group properties / tool setting, and all the tools refreshes to the correct sfm according to the material chosen  ex: stainless 

5 minutes ago, Cnc Programmer said:

yes I could but I would still have to change every tool in my program instead of only the material in the set up and refresh everything

maybe I should develop it lol

thanks

I haven't used the function, But I believe that in your machine def config you can set to pull feeds and speeds from material instead of tool.

But what I would rather have is material specific speeds, feeds, and cut parameters stored in the tool.

• Haha 2
8 hours ago, jpatry said:

LMAO, no

Well keep beating that dead horse and let us know when you realize it just that a dead horse. The only way to do this in Mastercam currently is to have different tool libraries assigned to use the same tool with different materials.

I am not condoning the practice or method mentioned above it is just a reference to a by gone era where people would not understand when given a direction that is the only direction to take and not take it.

• Like 1

I tried material libraries once in the 90's and decided it wasn't practical.  Aside from drilling type tools, I recalculate the cutting parameters for each cut with HSMAdvisor; the ideal feeds and speeds will change with the depth and step of each cut, which makes the stored values not useful.  Drilling type tools have stored parameters for the material they're most commonly used in, and I recalculate for other materials.

• Like 5
9 hours ago, crazy^millman said:

Well keep beating that dead horse and let us know when you realize it just that a dead horse. The only way to do this in Mastercam currently is to have different tool libraries assigned to use the same tool with different materials.

I am not condoning the practice or method mentioned above it is just a reference to a by gone era where people would not understand when given a direction that is the only direction to take and not take it.

Well, to elaborate, in most cases I have material specific tools, so splitting up the library would just result in a minority of the tools off in another place.

And then my less technologically fluent coworkers would xxxx and moan about not knowing where their favorite tools went, or how to find them.

5 hours ago, Matthew Hajicek - Singularity said:

I tried material libraries once in the 90's and decided it wasn't practical.  Aside from drilling type tools, I recalculate the cutting parameters for each cut with HSMAdvisor; the ideal feeds and speeds will change with the depth and step of each cut, which makes the stored values not useful.  Drilling type tools have stored parameters for the material they're most commonly used in, and I recalculate for other materials.

Pretty much this

3 hours ago, cruzila said:

i have one library with all my tools. Maybe someday I will spend the time to detail and separate tools into different libraries, but I treat speeds and feeds like most treat a Speed limit sign on the freeway. It's just a guideline really.......

100% same for me.

way too many variables to have super dead set #'s set, unless it's a super standard roughing practice in my shop. way too many variables like depth/stepover/tool stick-out/etc 

I'm pretty specific when it comes to my tool set-ups lol

toollist.png

Agreed, many times just changing a factor screws the pooch. Change a holder, change a machine, simply changing the BRAND of a tool........

It is sooo easy to work software, but to make a program that works and works well takes years of making the WRONG decision to know what the correct decision is.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, cruzila said:

Agreed, many times just changing a factor screws the pooch. Change a holder, change a machine, simply changing the BRAND of a tool........

It is sooo easy to work software, but to make a program that works and works well takes years of making the WRONG decision to know what the correct decision is.

My favorite is when the alloy of this order isn't exactly the same, so all of that painstaking work you did optimizing the cut times on the first lot of material when you first ran the job no longer applies, and your tool life is like 50% of what it was previously!

• Like 4
32 minutes ago, Tim Johnson said:

Here's my tool library list. The aluminum folder has over 1100 tools.

1237548846_TOOLLIBRARY.PNG.91e67a4aaa7f44bba9cf783e72d7ff7d.PNG

That's how I do it, except I have my "Vector Manufacturing" folder with my tools, and I make a tool library for all of my customers that contains the tools they have.  Management is a bit of an issue, but I like knowing that I can trust they already have a tool I've used before with them.

I also make a separate tool library for holders if that's prudent, for example, if I'm tooling up a big job that I know we're using SST or Haimer or whatever, I'll make a Haimer HSK-63A tool library that I can then always reference when programming with those holders.   A lot of people don't know that you can open two tool libraries in the Manager and then drag and drop into assemblies directly from another library.

• Like 2
18 hours ago, Aaron Eberhard said:

My favorite is when the alloy of this order isn't exactly the same, so all of that painstaking work you did optimizing the cut times on the first lot of material when you first ran the job no longer applies, and your tool life is like 50% of what it was previously!

Just had something similar happen last week. Ordered some fixture material 4140 annealed on accident, we usually get 4140 heat treat. Sent a .609 dia cobalt drill in and broke it off. Had to scratch our heads for a little while before we caught the mistake. Adjusted the drills speed and feed and we were back to making our fixtures.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Im looking at making extra libraries for different materials now too. Is there any way to modify a batch of tools to a new SFM or do i need to do each tool individually? Going to take a long time to do all the drills. 

Anybody willing to share libraries? Be great to have one with standard drills at suitable speed/feeds for Aluminum, steel and stainless.

just literally got done adding 'A2' tools to our library...Now we've got AL, FE, A2 and a few REN tools, and 1500+ tools to wade thru. Personally I'd rather just change the sfm if I'm in tool steel rather than add more to my library, but I'm not in charge...

7 hours ago, amw said:

Is there any way to modify a batch of tools

So far as I know, there is no ability to batch edit a group of tools for a given attribute, neither in the internal tool manager, nor in the standalone tool manager.

And it would be very useful to have, so it will probably never happen.

3 hours ago, jpatry said:

So far as I know, there is no ability to batch edit a group of tools for a given attribute, neither in the internal tool manager, nor in the standalone tool manager.

And it would be very useful to have, so it will probably never happen.

There Is a way to do it! I had no idea there was a standalone tool manager but found out about this today and gave it a try. You can highlight a bunch of tools and make edits to multiple tools at once by entering new values on the right side of screen. 

For example I selected all my drills and entered a new SFM. Then I highlighted the smaller drills which exceeded max spindle speed, and entered my max RPM. Got a full library of tools updated for Aluminum in 3-4 hours. Worked great. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, amw said:

There Is a way to do it! I had no idea there was a standalone tool manager but found out about this today and gave it a try. You can highlight a bunch of tools and make edits to multiple tools at once by entering new values on the right side of screen. 

For example I selected all my drills and entered a new SFM. Then I highlighted the smaller drills which exceeded max spindle speed, and entered my max RPM. Got a full library of tools updated for Aluminum in 3-4 hours. Worked great. 

Now if only there were a way to filter the library in the external tool manager, just like we can inside of mastercam