Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T Gas Prices

Rick46

went through a local gas station as as everyone is probablly noticing when you fill your tank up it puts a big dent in your wallet.. well the gas attendant told me and was telling everyone else not to buy gas today and to tell everyone we know not to buy gas .. she said that the oil company would lose like 4 billion dollars if everyone didnt buy gas for a day.. well I know just her spreading this message and the few people that also bothered to spread this message arent gonna hurt the oil companies pockets enough to cause them to lower gas prices... I was wondering if there was a way we could all set up a web page and spread it across the internet dedicate one certain day dont buy gas day and see what the possibiltys could be... anyone think we could spread this message across the internet to enough people to make a dent in the oil companies pocket for at least a day and if we could even go two or three days without having to buy gas think of the losses... time for the big guys to pay the price instead of us little guys at the pumps that can barely afford to fill there tanks up with the way gas prices our now adays.....Im just ranting but if anyone thinks this is a possibility we can pull off then Im game ....

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not buying gas for a day will only have the oil execs. laughing at us. Big deal, they don't sell 4 billion one day they know they will sell 8 billion the next. Here is a copy of an email making the rounds in Canada. The theory is to put the burden on one BIG oil company to lower their price. (note: dollars are in Canadian funds and there is 3.78 liters in a US gallon)

Friends & Family

Subject: Fw: How to get control of our gas prices

How To Get Control of our Gas Prices

I hear we are going to hit close to a $1.42 a Litre by the summer. Want gasoline prices to

come down? We need to take some intelligent, united action.

This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the don't buy gas on a certain day campaign that was going around last April or May!

The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to hurt ourselves by refusing to buy gas. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them. BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can really work.

Please read it and join with us!

By now you're probably thinking gasoline priced at about $.80 a litre is super cheap. Me too! It is currently .78 to .89 (now $.99) depending on what day it is,for regular unleaded gas in Montreal, Qc.

We all know that we're being screwed by the oil companies. Does everyone remember how they drove up the prices way past a dollar and got the gas prices to where they wanted them, claiming there was a shortage of oil.

Well, there isn't any shortage now, and the oil is more abundant than it was 35 years ago when the price of a litre of gas was 29 cents!!!

Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a litre of gas is CHEAP at $0.78-$0.85, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace....not sellers. With the price of gasoline going up more each day, we consumers need to take action.

The only way we are going to see the price of gas come down is if we hit someone in the pocketbook by not purchasing their gas! And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. How? Since we all rely on our cars, we cant just stop buying gas. But we CAN have an impact on gas prices if we all act together to force a price war.

Here is the idea: For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY gasoline from the two biggest companies (which now are one), PETRO

CANADA, SHELL. If they are not selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit. But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of PETRO CANADA and SHELL buyers.

Its really simple to do!! Now, don't whimp out on me at this point...keep reading and Ill explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!

I am sending this note to at least thirty people. If each of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300) ... and those 300 send

it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000)...and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers! If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted!

If it goes one level further, you guessed it..... THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Again, all You have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all (If you don't understand how we can reach 300 million and all you have to do is send this to 10 people... Well, lets face it, you just aren't a Mathematician. But I am. so trust me on this one.)

How long would all that take? If each of us sends this email out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!! Ill bet you I didn't think you and I had that much potential, did you! Acting together we can make a difference. If this makes sense to you,

please pass this message on.

PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE $0.64 OR LESS RANGE AND KEEP

THEM DOWN. THIS CAN REALLY WORK!!!!!!!

PLEASE take a few minutes and pass this on to everyone you know!!

If you can't e-mail it to at least ten people, please print out a bunch of copies and hand it out to your family and friends!!

Phil

When those 2 or 3 days are up wont people just go get gas then???? The oil companies will make the same $$$$$ and wont change their pricing. The only way to really address this problem is to drive less with more fuel efficient cars. If you wait a week or two and then buy gas the oil company has you by the short hairs. They know that no matter what, people will come crawling back as long as they own Hummers, Excursions, Avalanches, full size pickups, etc......

We are captive as a nation to our inability to curb our cravings to express our manliness by owning and driving monstrous vehicles. I am not saying that people should not be allowed to buy and own these vehicles, just don't bi**h when you pull up to the pump and have to lay down

$50.

If you really want to pinch the oil companies go buy a shiny new Prius and fill up the 12 gallon tank every six hundred miles. Then they will start to feel it.

philcot.... I understand youre point of view and thought about it myself but I know for a fact that 4 billion dollars isnt exactly pocket change to lose know matter who you are...but like I said Im just ranting not expecting a miracle to happen here...lol

sr_7626, as was stated, a one day boycot will not do ANYTHING. As in nothing, zero, zippo, nada!. It would take 2 to 4 weeks for it to do ANY good at all.

If you want to make a difference, don't drive at all for a couple weeks, (yeah, riiiight), or write/call/email/visit your city/county/state representitives.

It's ironic, California has been bitching about the price of gas for years, and now that the national average is at 2 bucks, something is getting done about it IMMEDIATELY. (Hell, I only WISH is was down at 2 bucks!)

Such bullsh!t.

Not to hijack

quote:

as they own Hummers, Excursions, Avalanches, full size pickups, etc......

quote:

go buy a shiny new Prius and fill up the 12 gallon tank every six hundred miles.

I personally would rather pay $50 or more a week at a gas station than to risk my life or especially my wife's life buy driving some sardine can around. If you were to pull out in front of me in a prious, point blank I would win. But if you pulled out in front of me in a "real" vehicle and I was driving a prious, you'd win. My life or definitely my wife's life is worth it. jm2c, but I get so sick of people bi$$$ing about "oversized" vehicles. Had to rant, sorry.

the problem has already been stated: losing 4 billion one day won't bother them when they know it will be recouped over the following couple of days when people need to gas up. the other problem is how do you get every single person in the US to not buy gas on a given day? it is impossible to do. besides all this does is hurt the local station you are stopping at. it won't affect the big conglomerates that control the pricing. that is the problem - people don't realize that the guy who owns the store isn't controlling prices. for example if you own a speedway gas station, you still have to abide by corporate rules - so if they call you up and say put your fuel at 2.50 per gallon, you have no choice. and if you want to go out on your own and try competing against them by keeping your prices down, they will run you out of business. believe me, i've spent many hours researching this for a paper i did in an economics class last fall.

I like the "no gas for a day" idea in theory, but I don't think the oil companies would even notice. They don't sell retail. I think the only people who may notice are the gas-station owners.

Such a large and sudden spike in prices does reek of conspiracy though. I have two possible theories, which I am currently developing.

One is the OPEC nations are punishing the U.S.A. for it's involvement in Iraq. Perhaps it is OPEC's fear that the US could cut into their profits by controlling Iraq and therefore a large portion or the world’s oil resources.

Another theory is the US oil companies are using this opportunity to see what the market is willing to bear. After prices soar to $3 a gallon, they will reduce price to $2.25 and everyone will be happy.

I know for a fact that this was tryed a couple of years ago, dont work. As already saied, loosing 4 one day make 8 another. The american people has already proven that they are ready to pay for the gas, because the amount of "big" cars and truck sale are not falling. This country have a poorly puplic transportation system unless you live right in the city, people dont want to take the bus, they want to take there cars and trucks. If you think about it, everything costs more and more, just look at milk. I am sure that our europian members are laughing, they pay around $5 a gallon.

Lars

G Caputo,

You have every right to

quote:

pay $50 or more a week at a gas station than to risk my life or especially my wife's life buy driving some sardine can around

No one is saying you should be prevented from doing so. Do it all you want, heck drive up to the pump and pay for every one at the station to fill up for all I care. Sponser gas guzzle-fest '04, brought to you by Shell, BP and G Caputo. Whatever!!!!! This is supposedly a free country and you can do what you wish.

I just find it interesting that there are many more comments about high gas prices that about the guy that is thrilled to pay $50 for gas with the reassurance that his family is safer in a larger vehicle. This is not directed at you personally, just an overall observation.

I think people are much more willing to complain about their situations than take a step back and be thankful for the situations that they are in.

Just my 2 cents

Toolfab,

My wifes cousin gets them from out of country at yesmoke.ch. As soon as he gets his order, he sends out for another order. 6 carton limit and around 4 weeks to get them. He swears by them, but I haven't tried it yet. 15 for a carton of marlboro's.

My in-laws also picked me up 2 cartons from Mexico when they went, 13 a carton.

Gotta shop around cheers.gif

I won't even touch on how to get gas cheaper eek.gif

Greg

LOL. Not gonna work. Stations only need to raise their pricess for the next few days and all those people that didn't buy today will be paying more tomorrow and friday. The stations will end up making MORE money.

Boy, I'm glad Bush invaded Iraq for Oil or we'd be paying $10us a gallon.

Bryan smile.gif

jbel,

Not trying to get into a slugfest with you on this one. A small car will not suit my needs, but I do drive with my wife everyday, to save on gas. My truck gets 11 mpg and it's got a 33 gallon gas tank, I have put gas in it twice this year. There are ways to save on gas, move closer to work, carpool, buy a moped, get a job closer to home, plan all your trips appropriately... These are things we can control to save money on gas, the rest is out of my hands. I was just making a point of the small car thing, no dig on you, and no I don't appreciate going to the pump and dropping $70 to fill my truck either.

And toolfab, last time I was in SC they were only $20. I'm always shopping around to save a buck and to make a buck.

Greg

I personally think this whole don't buy gas is started from the oil companys. if you don't buy gas one day but the next you do it doesn't hurt anyone. But if we were to stretch it out to a week or two then there would be problems, for us. The oil companys would just reduce the amount of gas they produce. Then when we finally come back to the pumps there will not be as much gas availible so they have to expidite product at a higher price which is passed onto the consumer.

If you want to hurt the oil companys buy a prius, walk to work or ride a bike. Any other idea is just silly.

JM2C

Steve S.

quote:

price of cigarettes!!!

Dont move to michigan then, they are trying to bump the areadly high tax another 75 cents. JackA$$ demorats anyway. there feel good ideas are killing peeps. they will get there wish if they keep it up. everyone will be on welfare, dependant on the government

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

My Saturn gets about 30mi/gal. It's stil expensive...

Just wait for a refinery "accident". You ain't seen high gas prices!!!!! eek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gif