Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Can mastercam use spindel body to trim or tilt for Toolpath calculation?

the dog

First of all I am sorry if this is something that was asked before. I tired the search option but couldn't find an answer.

we have an old 5axis tilted head milling cnc machine and we are in the market for a cam software with our limited budget.

My question that I can not find an answer is this. When mastercam is trimming toolpaths or doing collistions calculation its using tool and tool holder vs stock. Is it possible to  calulate toolpaths (trim,tilt etc)  using spindel body +tool holder +tool vs stock?  I was told no.Just toolholder +tool 

In simulation I understand that we can check for all collisions  ,my question  is about the calculation of the toolpaths themself...

can seem to find the edit button so I will rewrite it

First of all I am sorry if this is something that was asked before. I tired to search but couldn't find an answer.

I have an old 5axis cnc tilted head milling machine and we are in the market for a cam software using our limited budget.

My question is about tilting/ trimming stradegy   . When mastercam is trimming toolpaths or tilt calculation its using the tool and tool holder vs the stock. Is it possible to  calculate the toolpaths (trim,tilt etc)  using spindle body (or other but moving with tool)  +tool holder +tool vs stock?  I think it can still crash the spindel head since the B is tilting without the tool and toolholder crashing into the stock

I am asking about toolpath calculation and not in simulation that I understand that we can check for all collisions  

17 minutes ago, the dog said:

Click on the 3 dots in the top right corner of your post box, bottom option is to edit.

I cannot comment on your further question / issue.

Welcome to the forum :)

image.png

Edited by AHarrison1
Added comment
1 hour ago, the dog said:

First of all I am sorry if this is something that was asked before. I tired to search but couldn't find an answer.

I have an old 5axis cnc tilted head milling machine and we are in the market for a cam software using our limited budget.

My question is about tilting/ trimming stradegy   . When mastercam is trimming toolpaths or tilt calculation its using the tool and tool holder vs the stock. Is it possible to  calculate the toolpaths (trim,tilt etc)  using spindle body (or other but moving with tool)  +tool holder +tool vs stock?  I think it can still crash the spindel head since the B is tilting without the tool and toolholder crashing into the stock

I am asking about toolpath calculation and not in simulation that I understand that we can check for all collisions  

Here is your answer, Just need to remember it will be a spun shape not a 100% true representation of the head assembly holding the spindle. The simulation software is where we go back and check are there issues with the toolpath. Mastercam is not a kinematic aware software with Toolpath creation. Ones that are can be 2X - 10X the price depending on what it needs to do.

• Like 1

Back before I ever had with access to a Machine Simulation, I always made the spindle nose part of the toolholder. I’ve done jobs with the spindle inside the part with 5 axis cutting, or right up against a tombstone. No we have machine sim software, which is cool, but it seems the functionality of collision checking the spindle to the part and fixture within the toolpath is diminished, if you want it to work with machine simulation. Am I missing something? If the spindle is added to the toolholder inside the toolpath, the machine sim will not be accurate. There will be two spindles, essentially. So you would need to change the holder after making the toolpath, but that makes the toolpath dirty. In Camplete I think you can add a different holder to a tool other than the MasterCam tool definition, but a work around with holder models would be a source of error, if a change is made, it must now be made in two places. I feel like there has to be something I’m missing in this equation. 

On 2/28/2024 at 5:38 AM, the dog said:

shows report and share. No edit.Strange.

with only 3 posts made to date you may still be on probation

New members have restricted rights until they've  made a certain number of posts.

I believe the magic number is 3.. you may find you can edit posts when you make post #4

On 3/5/2024 at 1:21 AM, Brian Pallas said:

Back before I ever had with access to a Machine Simulation, I always made the spindle nose part of the toolholder. I’ve done jobs with the spindle inside the part with 5 axis cutting, or right up against a tombstone. No we have machine sim software, which is cool, but it seems the functionality of collision checking the spindle to the part and fixture within the toolpath is diminished, if you want it to work with machine simulation. Am I missing something? If the spindle is added to the toolholder inside the toolpath, the machine sim will not be accurate. There will be two spindles, essentially. So you would need to change the holder after making the toolpath, but that makes the toolpath dirty. In Camplete I think you can add a different holder to a tool other than the MasterCam tool definition, but a work around with holder models would be a source of error, if a change is made, it must now be made in two places. I feel like there has to be something I’m missing in this equation. 

Draw the spindle as the tool handle so that it participates in the tool path calculation
Then use the convert to 5-axis function to replace it with the original normal tool holder.
The tool axis uses the original initial direction

• 1 month later...

thank you all for your answers Really appreciated. 

Another question . What if we want collisions checking vs a  stationery part  of the cnc on a 5axis tilted head cnc ?   Using collisions checking on a toolpath and selecting  a tailstock shape we design for example   (example the tailstock holder or the whole A drive on the side of a  centroid cnc ) 

My concern is that Mastercam would take the stationary's part  (tailstock holder or A servo) ) and it would  rotate together with stock and  A ,since it doesnt know if its part or not. Doing so would cause the angle of the  tailstock holder (or A drive 'box' )  and the part to be lock together when in reality are not.

In simulation it can be easily done, but for collisions calculation at the toolpath level can Mastercam do this ? 

2 hours ago, the dog said:

thank you all for your answers Really appreciated. 

Another question . What if we want collisions checking vs a  stationery part  of the cnc on a 5axis tilted head cnc ?   Using collisions checking on a toolpath and selecting  a tailstock shape we design for example   (example the tailstock holder or the whole A drive on the side of a  centroid cnc ) 

My concern is that Mastercam would take the stationary's part  (tailstock holder or A servo) ) and it would  rotate together with stock and  A ,since it doesnt know if its part or not. Doing so would cause the angle of the  tailstock holder (or A drive 'box' )  and the part to be lock together when in reality are not.

In simulation it can be easily done, but for collisions calculation at the toolpath level can Mastercam do this ? 

That's not really a concern.  The collision detection only works to tilt the tool.  Actual motion (the fact that this will cause the B to tilt) is only really a function of the post & machine definition.   The part itself is stationary from the toolpath calculation side, which is why when you backplot it (not machine sim!), it shows the tool tilting.  If you have the A Axis setup modelled, you can simply select it as part of the Collision Control > Avoidance Geometries selection and it'll be fine.

• Like 1