Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

machinist ! how much you can earn?

antelopemy

In canada its

12hr/hour, minimum machining skill, wage increases (12-16)if your fast learner and learn.

20-25+hr/ if your know how to operate manual/cnc machines, including setup. Don't expect this kind of pay in small shops though, only in the large ones, who can afford it. smile.gif

quote:

How much money can you all earn in one month......tell me to be a

Machinist=us$??? per month

Programmer(mcam)=us$??? per month

Programmer+machinist=us$??? per month

Hi all

Machinist=$10 and up(illegals $6 plus)

Programmer(mcam)=$25 minimum

Programmer+machinist=$25 minimum

I have seen $35-$37 an hour.

Sometimes when I work as a contractor for

a company with UG programmers, I can Make

$100 per hour for my Mastercam service.

quote:

I have seen $35-$37 an hour.

Sometimes when I work as a contractor for

a company with UG programmers, I can Make

$100 per hour for my Mastercam service.

Unbelievable!

How about a Senior-machinist? does it pay as high as a Programmer?

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...How about a Senior-machinist? does it pay as high as a Programmer?...

Usually not because your highest tier programmers tend to be of the "Senior-Machinist" variety as well as being programmers. Like myself, though I'm not a "card carrying Journeyman", I would put my skills up against one and be at least as good if not better when it comes down to it. I am a Machinist first, programer second.

quote:

How about a Senior-machinist? does it pay as high as a Programmer?

The title isn't as important as ability.

IMHO

Most Mastercam programmers I know were machinists first. Most CAD (UG,catia,proE,Autocad) guys that I know are closer to the engineering side, and they know what they want,,they just don't want to personaly do it.

"Show up and cut it"

Scott 'teh "Check Activated."

As far as programmer/machinist goes, $18-$22 and highly skilled up to $26. Everyone is expected to program mill level 3 AND machine.

quote:

Formerly as a licensed machinist- up to about $25/hr. As a programmer that number approached $30/hr.

Peter, is that Canadian dollars?

quote:

How many shift allow to run in 24 hours?

2 shifts here. Days works a pretty steady 56-58 hours a week while night shift works 50 hours (no weekends).

Thad

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Our company runs 2 shifts at 10 hrs each shift. I'm slavery, errrrrrr salary biggrin.giftongue.gif and I work anywhere from 40 on up depending on what is going on and how hot something is. I'd say that this year so far I'm averaging 45-50 hours per week. Very few weekends. I despise working weekends. I'd rather put in several 16 hour days than work weekends. That's cutting into the family time.

I know that some other company run 3 shifts a day,they are in other environment,like.....the workers who work on a assembly-lines. Do you think that it is good to run 3 shifts in such CNC machine workshop?(maybe mess part to be done not more than 50 piece,each piece will only takes 15mins~20mins or some parts need to be done by one machinist better than 3 different of them from each shift).......

quote:

We run 3 shifts 24/7. We are shut down 2 days a year, Christmas and New Years

It should be a big productions, a big number of part to be done..........

some of your machine will stop for hours when meeting some mess job. not so easy to let others to take over.

After being laid off in feburary I have great awareness of the wage b.s. being enacted in the california economy. At one job I was getting raises every couple of months (and earning them btw.) but unfortunatly this has me at the wage ceiling around here. I make more on unemployment then 75% of what companies are willing to pay me. The other 25% are jobs that are too far away to drive to and thus whatever they pay me is going to go into my car.

Agencys are pretty useless for me because of their lack of knowledge and hard sell tactics. It almost seems like a conspiracy between them and the mfg. sector to drive down the pay of qualified people. One local company is looking for a Catia V5 programmer with min. 2000 hrs experience for $12 phr!

Honestly I love programming and cutting metal and have been doing it ever since I was 14, but lately I have been thinking of moving up to mfg engineering where at entry level I could make what I was programming and still have room to advance.