Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

o/t browser highjacked

Brendan P

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel your pain - been fighting a browser hijacker now for a week. Kill all the files, clean out the registry, run all the SpyBot/Ad-aware/Shredder/..... Software. Think FINALLY - then it is right back...... seems to be connected to a prog called "Home Search Assistant" and "Shopping Wizard" - but the danged "remove" function won't... "not found"

The program keep plugging in a "lmzam.dll" and redirecting all my default/search/home pages to that.... I am considering just "burning down the house" to get rid of the termites....

Hey Bucket Head,

I have had the same type of week with my IE curse.gif and unfortunatily I havent been able to spend the needed time to fix it. Many of the sugestions given here are great but I will be supprised if any of them work compleatly.

Im pretty sure as you have already discovered, that by rebooting, or by any other action the Hijack virous will reinstall itself - and it is very hard to find and get rid of.

I have been very fortunate to find the Tech Guys at http://forums.techguy.org/ .

Once on the page scroll down to INTERNET & NETWORKING then choose SECURITY.

This is a very supportive forum where evidently several really smart computer hacker types enjoy helping other people get rid of this nonsence.

(Much like this place http://www.emastercam.com/ and the wonderful software called MasterCAM.)

Sign up - post a thred - and I would say that in about an hour a fix-it responce will be availabe.

Good luck and let me know if you get your computer back.

Andrew.

Just to pipe in here

I have been running a combination of Spy Sweeper and Pop-Up Stopper with IE on Win2k Pro and knock on wood have had nary a problem.

With 2 kids on it alot, some things occasionally get installed but the firewall shuts down the programs internet access and Spy Sweeper has hunted it all down and eracdicated it.

Just another way around it I guess

Sorry to be just getting back to the thread.

Slept out on the boat last night,just got back in...

Gotta get them dang "sea legs" going again! biggrin.gif

Couple 'o more things,the only thing I have done is to download the firefox program.

I dont even know where ie is anymore,and could care less.

Matt/bullines,are you telling me that I won't have to run the spy/adaware programs if I stay with the firefox?

Bear with me,your talking to someone who only learned how to turn on a computer 5 years ago. eek.gif

Is there anything els I need to do besides just "running" the firefox web browser?

Also,everytime I sign on,the only way I can get the firefox browser to come up is to click on my desktop shortcut after getting connected.

(still on dial up)

Is there a default setting somewhere to do this?

On set up of firefox,I clicked on "make this my default web browser',but it didn't seem to work.

Again guys,thank you for all the great help soo far. cheers.gif

quote:

Matt/bullines,are you telling me that I won't have to run the spy/adaware programs if I stay with the firefox?

Not entirely. Spyware can get on your system in other ways. You can unknowingly install it yourself. Many software applications (usually free ones that aren't very cirtical) come bundled with spyware; some of which you can opt out of installing and some you can't. Most of these are usually tools to customize your computer (fancy mouse cursors, extra emoticons, certain P2P file-sharing apps, etc). But as far as spyware sneaking in via your browser, you're much safer now that you're not using IE.

quote:

First, in Firefox's General Options, make sure you have the "Firefox should check to see if it is the default web browser when starting" checkbox checked. Also, try clicking the "Check Now" button, too. Otherwise, you may have to manually associate HTTP, HTTPS, HTM, HTML, etc with Firefox...though you shouldn't have to do this if your computer is in good shape.

Thanks guys,

this topic really hit the spot. I have been getting eaten alive by pop up windows lately. I loaded Firefox and have been very impressed. I loaded it on my home computer and even talked my wife into doing it also. Once she did she loved it. So far my computers have strayed pretty clean, but I figure why take chances.

Thanks again.

Steve S.

The spysweeper program seemed to have found the browser hijacker.

Thanks murlin.

Now I need to convince our IT guy to switch to mozilla firefox.

It's working great at home. cheers.gif

Thank you to all that posted to help me understand my problems and give me some reasonable choices to defend my self against this type of crap. wink.gif

OK, OK, this sux......

This one nailed me as well.....or something similar to it...

Funny thing is, I downloaded Firefox and tried to run it and this browser would not work either.

Repaired windows.....no browser....

Repaired the whole system by loading a saved Ghost.......no dice.....browser still doesnt work.

Strange Mozilla and Internet Explorer will work in Safe Mode mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

Freaking worm is somehow moled its way onto my HDD and turned itself into a non-removable file....attacking the browser.....the rest of the system works fine...

Any Ideas before I ZERO my HDD??? headscratch.gifheadscratch.gif

Murlin teh " freaking computers" mad.gifmad.gif

there is a new Hijacker around, called sp.html

it is very hard to remove it.... not with Hijackthis.... not with Spybot S&D,

here is more info and a cleaning tool for it:

http://www.trojaner-info.de/anleitungen/hi...bout_blank.html

download this: SpHjfix.exe

te program is in english.... easy.....

and after cleaned it then use CWSredder cos there will stay some parts in registry.

download CWShredder here: http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html

short translation of the description on the german site:

the hijacker is NOT to remove with:

CWsShredder, Spybot S & D, SpywareBlaster, Ad-Aware.

Even when cleaned using HijackThis is not complete.

The problem seems to be solved but returns after 24 hours.

It makes changes in the registry... (see german site)

I have personally noticed 4 changes (win98SE)

You can clear the registry maunally, look for "obfuscated", but it seems it makes another change somewere in the history.

It places a .dll in the system32-directory....

(win98SE in the system-dir)...

the name of the .dll is everytime different.

After cleaning with the Hijacker Fixer you have to run CWShredder to remove the rest what is left in the registry.

Only InternetExplorer has probs with this one.

It hijacks the blanco startpage, and after a while even explorer,

everytime you open a a folder it will show up, quit anoying

this was C/P from another site...this might be what ur dealing with...

Brent thanks for that information. I put it to good use. I have a computer that has been collecting dust due to the fact that it was infected pretty bad. But I was able to get mozilla up and running and then use the Hijackthis and CDShredder to clean it up. It worked like a champ.

You guys are awsome.

I have been using mozilla for the better part of a week and so far I love it.

Steve S.

cheers.gif

Winnie, I am another victim of circumstance....nothing worked..

I have a wireless connection and my antenna/radio would allow pinging but not data stream.

It is a random problem that was driving me nutz because I thought it was a virus.

It was like there was a firewall set up on the data stream of my antenna/radio(which does not exist)

I had my my ISP dude come over and check it out and he hooked up his laptop to my connection and it did the same thing (finally).

Only weird things happen to me....

Too bad I zero out my drive.... mad.gifmad.gif

Murlin teh victim of circumstance...again