Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

machining copper

billystein

As a roughers I use 3 fluets hogs solid mills for alluminium ,for hog mill 12 mm S7500 f2500 z step 4 mm or s6000 f2000 take-off 6 mm ,bigger feed possible ,but my electrode holders will not stand it .

Also I like 3-4 flueted end mills end mills with coating for middle cuts and finish.

for end mill 3 mm S8000 (my maximum spindel speed ) f1500mm/min

z step 0.5 mm

For surfacing I use 3-4 fluets mills with extra-short fluet length with coating ball mill 6mm s7000 f2000 ,ball mill 1 mm s8000 f500 .

Try to use good tooling ,avoid radial bitting ,use a lot of coolant ,try to avoid using HSS mills .

If your relation length/diameter more then 10

do not be afraid to drop speed ,avoid shrieks in the corners .

I prefer Iscar coating IC900 and YG Xpower

For end mill 0.3 mm without coating S7850 f50 zstep 0.06 mm .

for big electrodes I use bull nose round corner insert mills from seco ,

for seco bull nose 25 mm radius of insert R6 2 inserts s7000 f7000 z step 0.7 mm

HTH

WTHH

Never machined copper, so I can't suggest anything.

One point to make, though: Make sure your wear eye protection. A copper speck will burn and hurt like hell. It will flare up if caught in your eye until removed.

I had an aluminum chip I needed a doctor to remove once. Thats when he told me to watch out for copper.

what grade? OFE or some alloy and is it dead soft or aged i.e. 1/4 or 1/2 hard.

dead soft is by far the worst it gets better with age...

when drilling take most of the releif out... or it will grab. I never use split points on copper.

as far as feeds and speeds, use about 75% of what you would use for aluminum.

I remember doing copper on a lathe, it was soft but without a good flood would stick to tn coated carbide no problem.

I agree with the zero rake drill bit no center relief. Much slower rpm than aluminum worked for me.

In a press I have sharpened round punches with 4 relief angles meeting in the middle, ejector pins didn't seem to help much. Again in a press plenty of lube. This particular material was half hard for an electrical bus duct.

Good luck!

We run quite a bit of copper. Try and use TIALN coated carbide whenever possible. I start at 500 sfm for a .5 dia. 2 flute cutter approx. .003 chip load or 23ipm feed. With drills I prefer 15 deg helix you can push them harder. Example .125 drill 9000 rpm 17 ipm feed. Much flood coolent.