Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T Dirt Roads

Jody

no, i did not know that it was called beer can alley till we moved there and i was telling someone what road i lived on, when he finaly got to our house he says 'why didn't you just tell me you lived on beer can alley, i wouldn't have needed directions'

we get alot of trash on our road: tires, TV's, refirdge, dressers,...

cheers.gif

Jody

Jody,

I grew up spending summers on and around dirt roads. I am talking rural country roads not urban country roads and I had the time of my life learning to drive on them. Pushing the '68 valient to the point where the back wheels were just about to let go and watching the rearview mirror reveal billowing clouds of choking dust swirling into the void we just created. We would stop, and makeing a line of young men, have one guy on the end grab hold of the electric fence and feel the jolt surge through us. Just about then we would crack open an ice cold RC cola (ok, sometines coca-cola) guzzle it down with the bubbles burning our throats, then stand there and see who could burp the longest.

I love dirt roads. I wish there were more where I live now.

Phil

Yeah i got those kids on my dirt road now. I live between a S curve and the kids love to slide around the curves. Couple years ago a truck load of kids broke my power poal off in my yard when they lost control. If they wouldn't of hit that they would have ended up in my garage and its 50yds off the road(pole was 20) Then there is the spring and fall mud bog to get to my house. Oh i just love em:rolleyes: I just built my house 2yrs ago and plan on doing it again soon because of the roads.

I baught a house on a dirt road four years ago. I thought it would be neat. Well I feel differently now. The dust and mud is one thing. But I thought it would be a safe road for kids to play on being that its dirt, dead end road. But the neighbors drive very fast on it. There is five houses on this road and alot of trafic for only five houses. There dogs are loose and come in my yard go to the bathroomand get my dogs worked up.

I can live with all the rest but man I get so mad at them driving so fast.

Good luck with your neighbors if you have any and if you dont you can have mine.

I live on a dirt road... Only 5 other houses out there... Just bought me a 1956 Allis Chalmers to do a little brush hoggin' with... Had a little trouble with people speeding by there at first, Its amazing what threatening to pull someone outta there car and tying them into a knot will do as far as getting them to listen to what ya have to say.

It's actually a CA... Somebody spent some time restoring the thing... Its in really nice shape... I like those old tractors... i'm trying to decide if I want to get the 3-point hitch conversion or keep it original... I've been looking for manuals and trying to find as much information about it as I can...

You can get manuals from ICT from most farm supply outlets. Does it have the old snap coupler hitch setup? They were actually more efficient than the 3 point for heavy pulling implements. Put more power to the ground so to speak. Most 3-point adapters put the weight too far behind the axle, you have to really weight the front end. Never drove a CA, but it should be real handy in tight places! Enjoy, Steve

You can check out ytmag.com. You might have to dig, but you can find lots of info.

We have a 1/4 mile long gravel driveway. Does that count? I also have a farmall B. I can let that thing sit out in the weeds for 6 months and it will start right up in the dead of winter. I doubt my wifes new Intrepid could do that. I can also go to Fleet Farm and buy parts off the shelf for it. AMAZING.

I took my son to a Steam Engine/Antique tractor show last weekend. I used to go there with my grandpa every year. I thought it would be a "bonding" day with my 5 year old....He bought a #8 Junior car!!! So much for the old tractors, but I had fun. Hopefully I can restore mine soon. I'd like to get ahold of a '50 or '60 something with 3 point. It becomes challenging to use a tractor without a 3 point.

Sorry to but into the conversation...you hit a weak spot.

ScottyB

all right all you hijackers, back to the topic we have a 1/4 mile long drive also that is why the dust from the dirt road does not bother us. we are to far away from it. i watch the dust roll into the house in front of us and i am glad that i dont live near the road.

ok back to the hijackers topic, i have an old Ford NAA 1953 or 1954 with a bucket on the front. it needs alot of TLC that i hope to start on when my kids are older and dont need watched so much. biggrin.gif go to this site to talk tractors not mine. J/K tongue.gif My dad says this is a good site for a tractor forum.

cheers.gifcheers.gif

Jody