Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Recommendation

Leehound

My customer has come to me for advise. He wants to find a software package that does some specific things. He wants to be able to view all the major cad files (shaded models and 2d drawings)and to be able to calculate mass and volume of 3d models. I know Mastercam can do all that. But he will not be doing any machining. So maybe there are some non machining packages that will do what he needs. Any advise?

Free or got the money to blow?

Free...eDrawings Viewer from SolidWorks, ProE has a viewer too, called ProductView.

Must viewers will not find area or volume.

SolidWorks will open most 2d and 3d file and calculate volumes and mass.

AutoCAD and Inventor will do the same too, as will most CAD apps. But you are still talking $4000+ for any good CAD app.

I don't believe AutoCAD LT, $500 range, will open all files and I don't think it will find mass properties or volume. But it is a cheap/light version CAD app.

IMHO BTW cheers.gif

Yes (from solid) .

~~~~~~~~~~`

The Solid Properties dialog box displays the solid’s volume and mass relative to a defined density, the center of gravity, and the moment of inertia relative to a selected axis line. In addition, you can save the solid data to a file. You can set the following fields:

Density sets the amount of mass per unit volume.

Create Pt. (Center of Gravity) creates a point at the solid’s center of gravity. The center of gravity is the point from which the solid body can be suspended or poised in equilibrium in any position.

Axis Line returns you to the graphics window to select a line entity to be used as the axis line for the calculation of the moment of inertia. The moment of inertia is the resistance to angular acceleration about the selected axis line, based on the current density value.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~``

Analize->area/volume ->solid props

HTH