Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Thread Mills

Big B Sprint88

the reason for threadmilling is that i am pushing the envelope for the number of good threads needed compared to the depth of hole that i can drill. i am also talking about 160000 holes that need to be done and i feel much better about thread milling this project. I did try taps with verry little lead, but i was constantly breaking them and really diddnt get deep enough anyway. I am using a solid carbide mill. thanks for your help!!

I have had great luck w/ solid carbide thread mills (TiALN coated) even in 56 RC S-7 tool steel. We always start at the bottom and go up. I would love to try #10-32 threads but the cutter costs about double what the 20 tpi one does. We always have lots of hardened steel laying around from the wire burner and it's way cool to be able to get threaded holes in them to make something useful.

Big B Sprint88,

Just a thought - but for 1/4-20 - have you tried or thought about roll forming the threads?

We do this quite often with 304ss. We mostly use OSG's but have used some Greenfield's. Usually get 200+ holes on one tap - but that is about the extent of our runs, so don't know how long one tap would really last? confused.gif

Oh-yea, run very High coolant concentration levels, (double normal) this makes a very big difference with the SS stuf!!!

HTH's

Later,

Mark

Yep I would Roll from it and look at a Carbide drill for the holes problay chaning it ever 1000 to 2000 holes or so depedning on what my pin gauges and finish looked like might get 5000 holes just depends. The hole is the key for roll forming and can hit class 3 tolerance with no problem if done right again the holes is the key. If threadmilling is you final decision get a air blast to help flush as well as the coolant.

HTH