Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Generic Post Processors in X

Paul Decelles

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to see a toggle that would turn on/off the info message "Multiple tools using the same tool number were found! Generate a tool change in the NCI?" Most of my files have the same tool roughing and finishing with different speeds and feeds, different DOC, ect... so I ALMOST never need the tool change though I can see it used often for the 20 tool machines.

I would also like to see a macro segment where I could set variables as needed for each particular job. I'm doing it now with the Mi,Mr page but that's limited to twenty options and I have better uses for that page.

I would also also like to be able add a certain character in the Define Tool Parameters page the the post could read and truncate the rest of the comment. My comments on that page reads like "3/4" FOUR FLUTE CARBIDE END MILL FINISHING SIDE" or "3/4" FOUR FLUTE CARBIDE END MILL ROUGHING/2". I would like it to read "3/4" FOUR FLUTE CARBIDE END MILL" on the .nc file.

That's all I can think of right now. smile.gif

wow, where to begin. I love the idea of having a gui to manipulate the post. It would be great to do something different with the 4th axis although I don't see myself using again in the near future.

however, I'd like to focus on post generation for different machines to be more user friendly. Right now we use a 'very complicated post' that rotates work in bi-lock vises and indicates 5 different machines, choose 1 for this through 5 for that. The point (forgive me) is that time and again, this okuma has one spindle speed and this another. Or this machine accepts one place Dia. offsets (D1) and this one doesn't (D11 or D21). So if there was a way to tackle some of these easier issues in a post by way of a machine profile in a gui that would be great. And maybe there are, I've been real lucky through the years to not need to much other than what I've outlined above asside from the occasional lines of repetitive repetitive code (has anyone else seen that?).

For a drill cycle, I would like to be able to customize the post so that at the tool change, the tool positions to a reference point for setting tool length offset, then rapid to the first drill position, then turn on spindle and coolant, then perform the drill cycle. Maybe this can be done already, but I haven't had any success yet customizing mpfan and mpmaster.

Jim

jplecan: Some posts alread have that. If you click on the "Home Pos" button in the tool parameter page, you can put in an XYZ location. Some posts will just go to that location, some use it as the G28 X# Y#.

Most customers make us take it out because they dont understand how to use it. The normal complaint is "This post is bad because it goes to X0 Y0 Z0 at the tool change". Of course it goes there because they didn't tell it to go anywhere else. So that's the problem. As soon as we put that in the post, the next guy wants it taken out.

Mike Mattera

Looks like nobody mentioned this yet but how about a radio button (right before we post a prgm) asking us how many parts we need to machine and automaticly dividing program into subs by tool order:

O1000

t1

m6

G54....

m98p1101

g55....

m98p1101

t2

m6

g55....

m98p1102

g54....

m98p1102

and so on

If you want to get fancy there could be another button for drill ops. optimization so a drill toolpath would go from right to left in first tool and from left to right on next tool...

I now use toolpath transform to do just that but it can be a pain in the arse to go this way sometimes smile.gif

There is a post avail. for download that does similar thing but doesn't do other things I'd like wink.gif

Just my 2 cents

cheers.gif

Kind regards, Mark

Hi Mike,

Did you mean to say use the "Ref. Point" button

instead of "Home Pos."? I got as far as using the

Ref. Point to enter a value for toolsetting which did get output, I'm just trying to rearrange the code after that. When I put a value into Home Pos instead, it wouldn't output it using mpfan or mpmaster.

Thanks,

Jim

Mill / Turn for MPLOKUMA

There are many other things that I've edited into my mill posts that I think should already be there but I won't waste pages on them, other than:

Post toolchanges for one-tool programs

Post 'safety lines' at each toolchange, i.e.

G00 G17 G40 G49 G80 G90 G94

Thanks for the opportunity, Paul

C

Saw the demo of X and am very impressed. Teh Machine Definition and Control Definition are an excellent idea. Looks like ground work for lots of good stuff down the road..........

I'd like to have a toggle for rotating teh tool changer (T- immediately after teh tool change). I use long tools that can collide with teh 5 axis fixture. I'd also like to toggle on rotary brakes for 3axis operations (M60&M62).

Thanks,

Richard smile.gif

Thanks,

jplecan: I dont use MPMaster. In MpFan find the "pretract" section and you only have to delete one line and add another to make the X Home (xh) Y Home (yh) work.

Good Luck

Mike Mattera

pretract #End of tool path, toolchange

sav_absinc = absinc

absinc = one

sav_coolant = coolant

coolant = zero

#cc_pos is reset in the toolchange here

cc_pos = zero

gcode = zero

pbld, n, sccomp, *sm05, psub_end_mny, e

pbld, n, sgabsinc, sgcode, *sg28ref, "Z0.", scoolant, e

pbld, n, *sg28ref, "X0.", "Y0.", protretinc, e

absinc = sav_absinc

coolant = sav_coolant

pretract #End of tool path, toolchange

sav_absinc = absinc

absinc = one

sav_coolant = coolant

coolant = zero

#cc_pos is reset in the toolchange here

cc_pos = zero

gcode = zero

pbld, n, sccomp, *sm05, psub_end_mny, e

pbld, n, sgabsinc, sgcode, *sg28ref, "Z0.", scoolant, e

absinc = sav_absinc

coolant = sav_coolant

pbld, n, sgabsinc, *xh, *yh, protretinc, e

Brian Scullion

You can do this now by using Miscellaneous Integers:

Put something like this in your post:

if mi5 = one, pbld, n, "M88", e # Added thermal comp (cdm)

Then set mi5 to 1 in your Misc Values for the operation in question and, whammo, you're all set

C

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Paul,

Take a look at MPMaster and base MPFan on it. biggrin.gif The things in there are the things I want. biggrin.gif

Tool List at the head of the program is HUGE for me. Rigid tapping is a must. I add rigid tapping with Pecking to every post I do for Fanuc Machines

HTH

Universal Post Generator

Standard post processors are provided with ProCAM and CAMWorks that support virtually any CNC machine tool. The quality NC code that is generated can be optimized for your facility's machines and production methods with the Universal Post Generator (UPG), which is a standalone utility included with ProCAM and CAMWorks. The easy-to-use graphical interface of the UPG is designed so users can quickly customize post processors to generate edit-free code for their machining environment. For additional customization, see the Extras section below.

This was one of the good features that lead to our purchase of CamWorks2004 to work inside Solidwork2005.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Paul, something else, make a common ptoolchg are so that you only need to make a change in one section instead of two, like MPMaster. biggrin.gifcheers.gif

quote:

...For additional customization, see the Extras section below...

This was one of the good features that lead to our purchase of CamWorks2004 to work inside Solidwork2005...

Art, problem with CAMWorks is it doesn't. :sad: Why you pimpin' competitors in here anyway??? confused.gifheadscratch.gif Thi IS a MASTERCAM forum anyway. If you're saying I wish Mastercam's ... would work like ..., that's one thing but my take is that you're plugging their stuff.

Thank you all for your feedback, I appreciate everyone taking the time to post a response. We'll go through the suggestions and compile a list of things we will add and most likely log some for future enhancements. Please bear in mind that we are looking for additions to our generic post processors, suggestions that were more along the line of specific individual post customization may not make it in.