Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

WISH LIST - What I want for the next release

Luther_Heggs

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gstephens,

My first note about the solids was to see which dealer would "jump" first. I know that there must be a charge and I think solids should be included, but the prices have to go up as you have stated!!! Just my opinion, but I would like to see that happen.

As for the pocketing & contouring comment, it would be nice if you did not have to create another operation and then regen. Too many clicks. All should be done through the first operation. Just my opinion.

Check Surfaces: It is nice how it has been set up in V9, but a little "un-needed" to have the selection process in two places. Having it only in the "Surface Parameters" page would be a lot simpler. I will say this again though, it is set up very nice on the parameters page. Just my opinion though.

Free shirts, mugs, etc....

"Care to comment Charles????" >>>About what?

As I re-read my previous post, I see that I did not completely explain my wishes as it was very late when I submitted that post. Hopefully this will explain further the request(wishes) I tried to emply earlier.

Trevor

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

Free shirts, mugs, etc....

"Care to comment Charles????" >>>About what?

Aren't resellers responsible for doling out the swag pretty much?

As to the Solids issue. I don't think it would be worthwhile to add to every seat. Not every company needs that option. So to raise the price of the software an extra $1500 USD or so would IMHO hurt sales. Basically Mastercam has not raised it's pricing since Version 6 so that's what, 6 or 7 years? That's a good thing from a buyer's standpoint. Bad thing from a re-sellers standpoint.

Talk toParasolid about pricing. The kernel is theirs and they charge for it. Don't blame CNC. Ever notive how machines that have Fanuc controls are more expensive if compared to a machine with a different control?Kind of the same deal.

[ 08-21-2001: Message edited by: James Meyette ]

I am not a reseller anymore. I work in shop like most of the other forum family memebers now. Maybe that is what was puzzling to me about that comment. A few people may not know that. Hey though, I will take any free MC stuff from anyone who wants to give it. When I mentioned that in my first post, it was only a joke.

Trevor

We'd be glad to provide a free golf shirt or other Mastercam Stuff to anyone who provides a lead that results in a sale. biggrin.gif

I'd like to see some of the 3D roughing technology applied to 2D toolpaths. For example, a cavity made up of solids or surfaces could be automatically roughed and finished given some machining parameters. It would automatically detect critical depths, and unfinished areas to remachine with another cutter. Put this in Level 1.

For surface machining when vertical walls are present, allow automatic setting of surface vectors based on a point the user places in the cavity.

Automatic sorting of a 2D model to segregate geometry by color and/or later based on Z-depth (slicing). Would make my 2D part look like a rainbow so it's easier to drive 2D toolpaths. Include a view slider bar to pop up on the side so I can view a "slice" of my model by dragging it up and down. Have a tol (.001 thick default) that sets the thickness of the stratum being viewed.

I suggest everyone send suggestions regularly to [email protected] These guys listen, and have a sophisticated system for logging request. Many times I've seen suggestions implemented, but you won't get it if they don't know about it.

One gripe of mine is the pocketing paths the system generates with islands. Very inefficient! It would be cool to force the tool to stay within certain parameters as it works around islands or other features from one side to another. For some reason the system now will mill part of one side then go to the other side then back to the first side again. confused.gif

Bobcad frown.giffrown.giffrown.gif . NO NO NO I haven't even seen Bobcad in about 15 years now! It was just a thought to be able to see and edit the g-code quickly if needed. I know one can do some changes to g-code within M/C right now but this was just something different to bring to the table. In my opinion there are certain features of other cad/cam systems that are better than Mastercam so it's by posting these wishes that perhaps one day they could all be included smile.gif . I leave reitterating jm2c!

cam-eleon,

I am with you on this thought.

That would be great.

The lath does it vary well.

Toby,

I got a call about a week ago to a shop that has the latest Bobcad.

His dealer cut him a deal and gave him the latest. He was looking at other stuff.

So were do I come in?

He had to do some surfacing on an iges file he got from the customer. Bobcad was not going to do it for him so he called me to do it in Mastercam.

Well I saw him trying to help another guy in the shop while was do his job.

And his software opens another window as you push the tool along and creates the g-code path.

But the bottom line I left after doing what he wanted. But not before he asked for all the paperwork on Mastercam & a price.

But to your thought, I know it would be great to just take a few things from all the CAD/CAM software’s to make what we want.

My Wish List: Make it possible to store/recall saved views to M/Cam itself, not just a particular file. Or, better yet, increase the Functions you can include in a Macro to encompass EVERY command. Then people could streamline whatever repetitive task they may need.

Also, fix the solid translator to put each solid on a different level, like it used to.

Otherwise, my compliments to you programmers. For the past 6 years or so, you've been filling my wish list before I asked for it.

I know the bossman would like just one function added:

A program button! This button any Joe schmoe could punch and Mastercam would intelligently produce a flawless G-code program. tongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif

Imagine that, intelligent programming!

OK How about this one, automatic branch point recognition without breaking lines. I can't say the number of times I had to break a line after toolpaths were established and then have to go back and redo the 15 tools that it affected. After breaking a line the only alternative i have seen is to chain the geometry again.

On other threads I have already expressed my desire for better engraving capabilities.

[ 08-27-2001: Message edited by: toby ]

quote:

A program button! This button any Joe schmoe could punch and Mastercam would intelligently produce a flawless G-code program.

Isn't that what Pro-Manufacture does??? :p

I just love that "magic" Machine Button. Picks your tools and everything (At least that's what the sales people will tell you).

As for engraving...Ask your dealer about the new add-in that debuted with Router. VERY COOL!

I heard through the grapevine (sshhhhh... it's a secret) that the named view stuff was getting a total redo for version 9.

That would be good as the way it works now kinda sucks - it takes too much to do any view manipulation. Seemed like it was jammed in at the last minute without too much user's (that's us!!!) input.

I think there is a lot that can be accomplished with knowlege based machining, feature recognition, etc.

One caution is that I want this as a function, but I also want to maintain control.

I use the following analogy: Boeing makes great jets that will practically fly and land themselves. But I still want an experienced pilot in the front seat!