Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

CEO asking where X is?

DavidB

The one thing the beta testers should realize is its much easier to wait when you have the beta (I have been a mastercam beta tester before, and other software and games for that matter). I enjoy running new software and learning about it before others so I can help with problems after release, but I know that its easy for me to say "wait, its gonna be worth it", etc. because I already have it.

This is what people are commenting on, whenever someone says something negative about the release, a beta tester jumps in and says wait patiently, and thats easy to say when you have it already.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

In my near 3 years of forum particpation, I've havn't seen any "toe-the-company-line" BS.

CMR, you have GOT to be sh!tting me here. There are about a million threads that have 'Mastercam rules, everybody else sucks' and 'saying negative things about Mastercam means you're a stupid, ugly, pimple-faced sheep humper who lives in your mother's basement'; come ON.

quote:

whenever someone says something negative about the release, a beta tester jumps in and says wait patiently

More like 'well, if you knew anything about software you'd know why it was taking so long' or 'I'd bet you'd rather have a buggy product than one that's right; huh?'

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I don't know anything about software, I don't care to know; V9 works fine for me. Stop pi$$ing on my head and telling me it is raining; just say 'we f__ked up when we predicted the release, we're working hard on the product and it'll ship when we're sure that it is ready.' Fairly straightforward request for all of the CNC execs who are supposedly in here all of the time.

C

All,

Mick from Axsys CNC says it best:

quote:

In terms of bang for buck in regards to Maintenance. Since Maintenance has been released, there has been several service packs, plus the free step translator, and X, when it is released. I've used UG. I waited longer with UG, for less, and paid more. I think Mastercams maintenance is good value for money. And it doesn't stop at X. X is going to be developed further, as most software is, and it can only get better.

With the exception that "service packs" should be replaced with Maintenance Releases. Service packs are fixes, or patches, for the software and will be released for every user. Maintenance Releases are improvements to the software and will only be available to those who have enrolled in Maintenance. These will continue after the release of Mcam X. This is how software is developed and continually updated.

The most complaints I see or hear from users refer to a feeling like they've been "swindled" into paying an annual fee to the software developer for providing a quality product that is continually updated. The product has been updated and improved upon since the inception of the Maintenance program. That's what was promised and that's what has been delivered. For those who feel misled and thought that Maintenance was ONLY for the release of Mcam X, you are unfortunately mistaken.

Mcam X will be released whether you're enrolled in Maintenance or not. Those who have Maintenance will simply get it before others and will also receive improvements via Maintenance Releases. Those who simply want to update to Mcam X will have to wait longer than those on Maintenance and they will not receive any improvements. They will also pay more for their product update to Mcam X than the Maintenance customer payed for their maintenance fee. Maintenance for the software is optional, as opposed to many other packages which require it. It is also a budgetable line item that will no longer initiate an argument with purchasing to "squeeze in" the cost of updating to the latest release of the software every couple of years.

It truly has been a monumental task of the developer to build Mcam X. It is an ongoing project. Even after X is released for general use, their job is not done. They will need to respond to users comments and found issues that were not discovered during the Beta testing stage. That's because no one can think of everything. There will be fewer issues than previous major version releases in the past. Of this I'm certain. This is a direct result of the developer incorporating more Beta testers than in the history of the product. When all is said and done, I personally believe Mcam X will place all those who use it competently, far, far ahead of their competition for many years to come. Peace to All. biggrin.gif

I am just curious, when our reseller was approached about maintainance. He said himself that to purchase it only for X would be silly. He never really encouraged us to purchase it. Our systems people here were very happy to purchase it to help with budget issues every year. They also felt that it helps to have the bugs fixed. So we have maintaince and it has never been an issue that X hasn't been released yet. I know that we also pay HUGE maintaince on other software that we have.

JM2C

Glenn

Having a maintenance program for continual updates and bug fixes is fine. Most software companies do this. However each customer will have to decide if the amount of updates and bug fixes is worth the cost, or if they want to switch to a different product. That seems to be the choices, as I see it.

Just because there is a list of things that have been fixed or added or upgraded since maintenance came out doesn't mean its "enough" to justify the cost, or answer the questions about things that were asked to be changed/fixed years ago that still aren't. Each customer has to decide if they think CNC is putting out bang for the buck in their maintenance releases.

quote:

There are about a million threads that have 'Mastercam rules, everybody else sucks' and 'saying negative things about Mastercam means you're a stupid, ugly, pimple-faced sheep humper who lives in your mother's basement'; come ON.

What I meant was the forum members who are employees of CNC or affiliates are'nt the ones saying, "our company rules, get on board or leave".

I certaninly agree that however that regular users (who are NOT employees of CNC) are generally pretty quick with the the sheep humping accusations. biggrin.gif

MayDay,

quote:

have you used edit common parameters latley ?? just to name 1 creepy crawler

What exactly is the problem with it? I mean other than the WCS selection not changing for all the operations selected. biggrin.gifheadscratch.gif If you change anything else like Clearance, Retract, Depth, Tool Plane or CPlane, those things will change for all the ops selected that are similar. Is there something else I'm missing? Seriously though, for a CEO to ask their employee, a general user instead of the developer "where's the software", that's just idiocy. That's like asking the grocery store cashier where the distribution center is located. cheers.gif

quote:

What exactly is the problem with it?

I mean other than the WCS selection not changing for all the operations selected

do that on a 100 to 200 opp program

it dosn't work as intended......... so why put it in the software rolleyes.gif

how about job setup ?

go to tools and edit a tool.

go back to the opps. take a look, what happened rolleyes.gif

My biggest complaint is obvious bugs that where incorperated in V9 through the years and they dont work.....

WTF, my salesguy rolls his eyes too. then shows me an alternative thats starting to look pretty good. prolly wont jump ship but bottom line, gotta look out for #1.

how else do I explain to the boss way it may take extra time to program some jobs? or why the new guys learning to program are having a hard time learning how to avoid things that dont work?

I start with......... I'll show you all the things to stay away from wink.gif

Even with the mention of people bailing, or maybe not quite bailing, there's still no word from CNC Software on this.

We ALL know that they visit this forum. There's no question about it. Why can't they come out and tell us what they think? Because they are embarassed? I'd be willing to bet. Admiting that they made mistakes is too hard for them. It's easier to delete the thread and hope that it goes away.

I was brought up to think that hiding from a problem I caused was cowardly.

Anybody from CNC software care to comment? Where's X? If it's going to be in our mailboxes "sooner than we think", why not tell us when? What makes this freakin' thing such a secret?

WHERE ARE YOU GUYS? It's your software, your customer base, and your 'official' forum isn't it? Your customers are getting pissed and you are standing by to watch everything go to hell. If things go bad for you, you deserve it.

Paul

They could post a statement. Doesn't have to be part of this thread. Post it in a locked thread.

In all honesty, if it was posted here, and a flame war arose, so what? It happens all the time between us doesn't it? We're big enough to handle it.

That's kind of what I mean. There will be public, recorded, negativity towards CNC software, and they can't handle that.

Should I call my reseller or CNC software? I will do that and I will post the results. If I call my reseller, they will tell me what they already have...March 2005 was the latest. CNC software will probably tell me to call my reseller. Isn't that how it's supposed to work?

Paul

I just emailed this to [email protected] (added the underscore for spam purposes)...

Please visit this thread and let us know what your thoughts are as a company with real living customers that want to know…

http://www.emastercam.com/cgi-bin/ultimate...=1;t=015771;p=1

Thank you,

Paul McGarr

Project Manager

Innovative Microplate, Inc.

1998 Westover Road

Chicopee, MA 01022

P 413.593.5300

F 413.593.5900

quote:

What exactly is the problem with it?

You are kidding, right? Max RPM, Coolant condition, WOFS/WCS selections, the list goes on. Edit Common Parameters sucks; even the most pro-Mastercam forum members will acknoledge that. RPM, feed, coolant changes to tools in job setup vs individual ops are sketchy. There are numerous [mostly small] toolpathing and posting bugs in the Lathe product, which is still terrific software. Just don't try to sell me this 'wait a little longer and it won't be buggy' horsesh!t.

Steve, I disagree with you about the flame war if a CNC exec posted a cogent, honest explanation of what's going on. If, however, they started spewing the same crap that the CNC apologists do out here then I'd be the first to flick my Bic

C

I think Paul is just being staight forward and honest. the current gliches cause more grief to some than others. depends on what your programming. my best guess with this waiting period everyone is in, if some of the same ol same ol shows up in X we will need a lot of firetrucks. there's have been a lot of inquireys about X customers want to gear up for. and no one seems to say anything except wait and see.

Im all eyes tongue.gif

quote:

No, he didn't

Check the first page.

quote:

I already gave up waiting for it and am looking at an alternative to Mastercam. As a matter of fact, I know I'll get flamed as I always do, but I know of a company with about 8 mill seats and close to that many lathe seats that is bailing next month. Can't blame them at all.

PEACE biggrin.gif

Here is the result...Can't wait to see what they have to say.

I must say that I am pleasently surprised that they are going to comment.

quote:

Hi Paul-

Yes, we do know about this and other similar posts that are out there. Please know that we are currently in the process forming a post of our own that you should see up on the user forum shortly, hopefully today, that should clear everything up once and for all.

We keep a close eye on this and other forums to get a real feel for what our customers are going through. We know that there are obviously some frustrated customers out there, and were doing everything we can right now to get the answers to the questions that people have regarding the release of X. Unfortunately, we can’t immediately respond to posts like these without first discussing it and weighing the impact that it may have on us and our Mastercam resellers. This is what we’re doing right now.

Please let me know if you have any questions, and thanks for being a loyal and patient Mastercam user.

Kind Regards-

Doug

Doug Nemeth

CNC Software, Inc.

Corporate Sales

860-875-5006

Paul