Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Installing MasterCAM 10.

stanektool

I know most system Admins out there will never install a piece of software (especially OS software) into live production until after the first service release. We have some people here at my company who are wanting to install MasterCAM 10 as soon as it's released. I was just wondering what your thoughts are on that? Does anyone else out there wait until at least after the first service release?

-Craig

Man I will give you this spin. Wait and it will cost you time and money. I say that becuase they can be learing and getting fimilar now and also they can be suing the time saving stuff that X has where as you wait then that is that much longer you have stalled training as well as use of a very good product. Is it going to have thing of course it is software but G-code who does soem very trick 5 axis stuff as well as lathe and 3d stuff is using X almost all the time and making parts. So up to each person as to the benifts or downfalls of going foward or waiting.

HTH

quote:

Do'nt remove your V9, so you can always go back when you have problems

Keep V9 on your machine

X is different from V9.

This will NOT be like moving from V7 to V8 or V8 to V9. This is totally new stuff.

I strongly recommend people take advantage of any orientation classes offered by thier dealers.

Most new X users will want to start with easy parts and work up to the hard stuff.

That means you'll still be using V9 for your day to day work while you learn X.

The more you use X the more you'll like it.

I've been using it fulltime for a couple of months now and I hate going back to V9.

I guess as an IT person I look at it a different way.

#1 I don't want software in two formats running around my shop. If I do I'll have people who still use 9 complaining about not being able to open 10 files.

#2 Why pay MasterCAM to beta test their software? As a new piece of software it is guaranteed to have bugs, so why should I pay them to work those bugs out?

#3 If there are bugs that cause scrap it could cost my company a lot money, will MasterCAM cover these losses?

-Craig

Craig

I would not hold back on installing X till the first service pack. X has to be the most beta tested software on the planet. If you are concerned about the switch to X then contact your dealer with these concerns and see if they can or know someone that can come into your shop for an "implementation period" say 2-3 days and maybe some in-house training. DEFINATLY let your guys sign up for this forum and the ebulletins that come out. Also follow the forum for a couple weeks after everyone gets X to see what comes up.

X was tested. X works. You'll love X after a few sessions to get used to the new SolidWorks like interface. I as a past Wordperfect user hated Word until I used it a few times. There will always be voices in the background saying why did they do it this way and not that way..... Geeez, use it, learn it, love it! I have a feeling that soon enough the biggest whiners will be the biggest fans.........

I will install X as soon as I can get the IT guy into the office to log in as the admin.

I will not delete my v9.1sp2 mr105 copy any time soon, that's for sure.

It will be interesting with the conversion files that come along, how long it will take to get the seat of X dialed in as well as my seat of V9.

I've had X for a couple of weeks now (my boss is a beta tester) and I am very suprised at the stability of it. My backplot still isn't working as it should, but I have not had one crash the whole time. The new ribbon bar style for selecting is really wierd at first, but I think after I get used to it I will be able to program faster than V9. I DO NOT like the new posting situation, however. The toolpaths are tied to a machine definition and the select post option is greyed out. I post toolpaths straight to machines over our network by using the numbered question at the end of the posts. X sets this in the machine def and to post to several machines the only way I can find is to change the machine and then go back and post again or search in the windows save box for the proper mapped drive to get it to the machine. My VB scripts are not working properly. When I am promped for an entity I cannot select one because the selection tool bar is greyed out. My MRU function bar dissapears every time I exit and come back and I have to turn it off in config and then turn it back on every session. Other than these few problems it's great.

I remember changing from V6 to V7 was a pain for about a month, but looking back at V6 I wondered how we ever got anything done with it. I think X will be the same way very shortly.

Steve,

"My VB scripts are not working properly. When I am promped for an entity I cannot select one because the selection tool bar is greyed out."

This functionality works as expected in the release. Having said that you may have to update some of your scripts depending on what they do, for example there are no *.OP9 files in X we have *.operations files so you will need to update those where applicable.

Other than that there should be very few other changes required to run V9 scripts in X but as always if you run in to a problem let me know.

rsbeadle:

In response to your issue posting to multiple machines.

You should have a dfferent Machine and Control Definition for each machine. This will create alot of flexibility for you.

For example; Create a machine definition for MACHINE-1 and assign a control definition that references the file location you want used. Create a Machine definition for MACHINE-2 and assign a control definition with a different file location you want to use. Once you have a Machine definition for each machine you can select them from the -Machine Type- drop down. This will create a machine group in the Operations manager for each machine definition you select. The Operations Manager supports multiple machine definitions/groups in one file allowing you to even have Lathe and Mill toolpaths in one file if you have them both liscensed.

Now, place the red insert arrow, found in the operation manager,in the Machine Group you want your toolpath created in. Basically the operations manager should have a machine definition/group open for each machine you want to use with the toolpaths organized in the correct groups relative to where they will be run. When you post a file it will automatically reference the file location set in the control deinition the Machine definition/group is referencing, you can still change this location if you need by selecting -Files- if you expand the machine group propertie in the operations manager. You can even select all toolpaths to post all at once and they will all save off to the proper locations you defined in the Control definitions being used by the Machine definitions in each group.

Hope this helps biggrin.gif

Dave

We will keep V9 and install X.

I´m sure X will work good. We never had problems other versions changes but we will need some experience and fill confortable with the new soft to uninstall the older one.

Will be easier and quiker to resolve problems in the first time with a familiar soft than a new one.

About the bugs getting worked out...

No matter how hard a software is tested, there will always be something that pops up. If everyone does not start using X CNC Software may not find these problems to correct them. That is why it has been beta tested so deeply. As a Router only Mastercam Distributor, I came across things unique to the Router software. Had I not tried some of the things I did, Router would have been released with these problems. I know as I delve deeper into the functionality I will have other things show up. That is the nature of new software. There were work arounds we had to use in V9 and we will most likely have some of these in X. Still the finest software in the world despite the naysayers. GO MASTERCAM!!!