Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X Implementation Plans

Going by the information I have already had in front of me. I am planing on installing into a new directory seperate of my MC9 directory.

I will then convert my tool libraries, operations libraries, my post, I will tweak my control informations as necessary.

I will then begin to play with a standard file as far as posting goes with a known file, so I know what to look for for output.

Once I am confortable with the information I am getting out of X, I will begin to design and draw and if my mill level 3 upgrade gets approved, model.

All of this will take place, as I have got myself about a 3-4 week cushion, not including rush stuff that may show up, hopefully causing me quite little downtime.

I assume at the end of this period I should be sufficently comfortable to go full steam ahead.

Well, that's my plan anyway cheers.gif

But always in the back of my is the little voice saying Hey! moron!, even the best laid plans go awry. wink.gif

So we'll just have to see how it all comes out in the wash.

Good Luck and Happy Transitioning

We were just talking about this today. We have all the machinists program their own stuff. We have varying skill levels and everyone will eventually have to learn it. I think we'll start off with it installed on a seat for me and our dept leader while everyone else continues with V9. (We do all the training anyway.) Once we get a handle on it, we'll start training the others. If we all jumped into X at the same time, production would come to a near dead stop. One of our new guys is still getting a grasp on holes and 2D contours. Our skill levels go from there to mill level 3, with some solids. Even with all the customizable toolbars, we'll have to find a happy medium for everyone. That's what happens when 9 guys share 5 seats of MC. rolleyes.gif

It should be interesting! smile.gif

Thad

I just hope it is better than the 'post update' thing that came out in V9 that IMO,was not soo great.

When I got to play around with it at my dealers last week,I found that you could not draw (like in lathe)Diameter...You had to draw a lathe part Radially or as in X and Y coordinates.

Can someone confirm this?If true,this sux. mad.gif

quote:

Everyone can "Have it your way"

Thanks for the tip, Jeff. I don't want to rule anything out yet, but so far, having custom config files for each programmer haven't worked out so well.

Each seat would have to have 13 shortcuts (including night shift) to MC with their own config file. At any time, you could be on any computer and would need a current config file (These things change as you go) to your liking. Now, we have 2-5 sessions of MC open on any computer at any one time, depending on what computer is available when you need to get in and program your next job. Or someone can't figure out how to do something so they call you over to look at their file. Another session needs to be opened so you have *your* settings. It just turns into a mess. It would be different if everyone had their own computer.

Thad

quote:

When I got to play around with it at my dealers last week,I found that you could not draw (like in lathe)Diameter...You had to draw a lathe part Radially or as in X and Y coordinates.

Can someone confirm this?If true,this sux.

My god i hope thats not the case!

quote:

Under the Planes button in X you have the choice of creating geometry in Lathe-Radius or Lathe-Diameter. and you have 4 quadrant choices for radius and 4 quadrant choices for diameter:

+D/+Z, -D/+Z, +D/-Z, -D/-Z

Thank you for clarifying this.I'm feeling better now,I know Chris will be too. wink.gif

Steve,you better slap Peter upside the head then! biggrin.gif J/K

I asked him about this and he didn't explain it this way to me.

He made it sound like there was no drawing in diameter.

Maybe he is just not familiar enough with it which is understandable. cheers.gif

No pun intended Pete,I enjoyed the class I had with you last week.

quote:

Thanks for the warning, I won't worry if hear lots of cussin' and see feathers flyin'

LOL

Better bring the Alki-Selzer biggrin.gif

I am never deleting 9.1SP2 as I have already stated.

From a production viewpoint, I think it would be a mistake for anyone to dump their old stuff...

I don't care how long it takes me to learn X.

But my productivity will not suffer.

I have Pro_e down pretty good and I think learning X will be similar.

Brendan,

quote:

Steve,you better slap Peter upside the head then! J/K

I asked him about this and he didn't explain it this way to me.

He made it sound like there was no drawing in diameter.

Maybe he is just not familiar enough with it which is understandable.

No pun intended Pete,I enjoyed the class I had with you last week

Thanks for putting in a good word for me B. rolleyes.gif What I believe I said before was there is no NC Utilities menu like in V9. You can Import many of your present file directories into Mcam X directly. Also, calling up a file that had already been saved in Lathe will automatically load the same planes and design characteristics. There are many new things with Mcam X but keep in mind, everything that you could do in V9 can be done in X plus some new stuff. I must've misunderstood what you were asking for. My bad. redface.gif