Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

What if CNC made cars ?

George Hardwick

Meet Mike, he has a 2 year old V9,he has decided to vist the local CNC Autos showroom to have a look at the new VX.

Spotted by the salesman as he enters the shop, the salesman says hey I see you still have an old V9,yes said Mike I love it, nice drive no trouble at all.It only took a few moments for Mike to part with a pile of cash, then to be told he would have to wait a few months for the new car to arrive, but not to worry he could carry on driving his old one until then.Time past then the new car arrived. Great news he could also keep his old car. But was told he would have to remove the Steering wheel, the lights and the Tyres. Why he asked? Well we supply you with a book on how to modify them to fit the VX, what it dont come with a steering wheel, he asked the salesman. Well we have one in the trunk but but its the wrong size. and you are use to your old one so it will be better.

He worked all day with the book and his tool kit and got it going. Right said Mike im going for a drive now, driving along the road he saw his friend I will sound my horn let him see my new car, oh """"" the whole front caught fire. After the fire fighters had put the fire out he rang the salesman, not to worry he said we are bringing a fix out for the front end and it will be fitted with a fire extinguisher.The day the tyres whent flat they said they would lend him a foot pump until they had a patch for the Tyres.

Now if your still with me, Mike is a bit Slowwww.

who would do a thing like that....

Now to the whole point.

I have 3 simple pieces I need a simple contour on one end and a few holes drilled. That will only take a few moments to do. Follow the plan draw it out the holes are a bit tight so lets backplot and see how they run? Well cant see how they run because you cant slow the backplot down if you try it just dances backwards and forwards for half the day. OK skip that, lets do a print thats easy press print and off we go. No not so simple I pressed a button before it had printed and the whole darn thing froze solid, forgot to save such a simple drawing and programme, so do it all over again. skip the printimg. So lets send it to the machine, well after 3 attemps it was done. The old V9 had Cimco to DNC and it worked well. My new VX works sometimes.

Im begining to feel like Mike.

No I dont want to know fixes and tweeks, im fed up with having my head under the bonnet all weekend, I just want this expensive software to drive me down the road.

Or maybe attach the Software to a long lenght of bar stock and wander down to the show room see if I can fit it inside the salesman.

C'MON George, how much does each one of your programs cost your employer? How many mistakes do you make in each one? How much did this post cost your employer? You obviously put a lot of thought into it and it's still all screwed up. If your post was Cam software it wouldn't even boot up. Quit crying about someone elses mistakes. We all make them.

vers. X seems to be quirky but that stuff sounds to be pc related. We started using X as soon as it came out and never had problems like that.

I see alot of complaints about X but I think that alot come from creatures of habit who dont like change.

Did you go to vers X update course?

Sleepy,

Yeah, I've updated all seats to update 3.

quote:

vers. X seems to be quirky but that stuff sounds to be pc related.

jlambert,

Backplot, printing and communication issues with X are well documented on this forum.

Hang in there, George. It'll get better. cheers.gif

Thad

jlambert,

No need to apologize. You didn't speak out of place. This forum is for sharing information. I saw that you're a new member and thought maybe you missed those threads. cheers.gif

I like the new interface too. There are still things that tick me off, but there's also some features that I really like.

Thad

quote:

No I dont want to know fixes and tweeks, im fed up with having my head under the bonnet all weekend, I just want this expensive software to drive me down the road.

Or maybe attach the Software to a long lenght of bar stock and wander down to the show room see if I can fit it inside the salesman.

xxxx FUNNY!!

quote:

Funny stuff. I'll remember to give him help when he asks...

Customer is always wrong???

If GM did this they would be out of business. Oh wait, hang on a minute.........

Bruce

One thing that always seems to get overlooked in these discussions is that comparing MCX to a car is like comparing the space shuttle to a pair of roller skates. MCX is immensely more complicated than a car. Moreover, while a car needs to drive over only a few types of surfaces, MCX has to run on nearly an infinite number of different computer configurations. Now, if your car can double as a Mars lander, you might have a point. :-)

--Clay

Hmmm I do think cars are more complicated...ever tryed to calculate the Thermodynamics of combustion in relation to proper timing for gas at 87 octane. It's just that cars are refined and work well enough that end users don't have to worry about all the complexities...unlike my experience with MCX.

Just a few questions. How long have cars been around? How long has MCX been around. These two items are not even remotely the same. Maybe these type people should go back to the old manual mills, then maybe they would appreciate what it takes to keep a CNC machine running.

I will bet if CNC Software had 80 years to perfect it some would still bitch and complain. And I have never bought a new vehicle that hasnt had recalls. So are they perfect as well.....NOO and never will be.

There is more knowledge and people willing to help here than ANY software company I have EVER seen. But, most that flame people out of frustration still gets help from the ones they flamed. Do they ever say I apologize I was wrong? Nope, but they sure wanted the help.

If you intended on it being a joke and to get a laugh, I would say you went about it the wrong way.