Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

back to 9-for now

Elad

Waaay back when there was an option called Moldbase that you were able to get from CNC Software to run within Mastercam. For simple pocketing and drilling operations it was the best thing since sliced bread. I think version 6 was the last one to offer that option. When it was not possible to get that option I had to re-learn how to program effectively for production runs. It wasn’t until Version 8 that operation libraries became available to make things easier for me. So I cheated, and kept the old version until it made sense to use the new & improved I feel like this is the same situation that I’m in again…

I am very happy to be learning the new interface, but I am also very happy that I could use the old, trusted, and proven software that I have come to depend on so much in the past while the new version gets some more of the bugs worked out. The new version is not collecting dust. It is being used as a learning tool for now until the right time comes along.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

N3526J you got mail

Key mapping example:

one example of a key map I've made for geometry creation.

I think in X this is easier:

in X its CTRL+Q create line endpoints

in V9 it's C then L then E to create line endpoints.

3 strokes around the key board reduced to a 2 finger push without moving the palm of my hand!

I think that is much more simple. You just need to be patient and set it up properly.

Hymen,

There are keys in V9 that are alot quicker too.

AltE A C 10 this was my favorite, now it's AltE click ALL click Color click 10 click OK.

S S V A C 10 now its Right click on Level (bottom of screen)click All (top of screen)click color click 10 click ok./

Key strokes are much quicker than looking at the screen and moving the mouse around the screen.

I miss very much being able to use single keystrokes for picking Autocuser positions too. O for Origin M for midpoint E T I and so on

Create a point origin, now you have to type in 0,0,0 where a simple O will do it in V9. Yes you can use the Auto curser to snap to origin.

Thats another thing I think should change the Auto curser size is to small.

Just my 2 cents

cheers.gifcheers.gif

I was missing the autocursor hot keys also. Until I finally just took a couple minutes and customized my keymap so that ctrl+o = origin, ctrl+I = intersection, etc. It took a little getting used to but now I can hit origin as fast as I ever could.

Give it a try, you might like it.

cheers.gif

brilu397,

I mapped Origin to Ctrl+O it work for the first line. Now when I hit Ctrl+O it just exits the line function?

Or any create function trying to use Ctrl+O.

Closed McamX reopened create line endpoints hit Ctrl+O and it just exits the function?

I asigned all the Auto curser snap points to there letter I=Intersection ect.

Its not stable its inconsitant.

Can you play with yours more create lines using all the snap points.I'd like to know how you go?

This is another eg: why X is so frustrating and poeple are still using V9 more.

[ 01-03-2006, 12:11 AM: Message edited by: DavidB ]

I am still using V9 and I have been using mastercam since V7. I will be the first to admit the jump from 7 to 8 was great from 8 to 9 seemed like nothing more then a few extra "bells and whistles" but my problem with X is after all these years working with this interface why did they need such drastic change why can't we choose to still use the old interface with the new toolpaths and upgrades just like you can choose between MS XP or classic window mode for your lay out

quote:

Hey you know you can still get a command prompt in XP too, do you still use it?

Use it every day, Easy to make a batch file and run it in dos mode to get some simple things done. Like backups of my cam and nc files daily to another harddrive. Xcopy rules since you can have it check by date and size, and only copy things that have been changed for that day.

ipconfig

And a multitude of things are still way useful in dos mode.

Jim

David,

You were right about the ctrl+o not working on create lines,points, adn arcs. I had been using it primarily for creating rectangles and xform stuff and it was working fine. I switched it to ctlr+0 (the number) and everyhting I tried was snapping to origin. I tried my ctrl+I, Ctrl+M, ctrl+A on create point and they were working. I'll try 'em on other stuff when I get chance.

I don't know what's with the Ctrl+o(the letter). cuckoo.gif

cheers.gif

Thad

I understand the importance of keeping up to date with software we have both X and 9 here who knows what the future holds I may not retire and the next place may only have X which won;t leave me knee deep it will leave me up $hits creek without a paddle my point was why not allow the interface to be switched back and forth like MS lets you with XP

concepttool,

I kind of see the point you're trying to make, but the XP GUI and the "classic" GUI are really nothing more than "themes". Essentially, they are navigated through the same way. Same functionality.

My comment about the command promt seemed to get by a few people. I'm not saying that the command prompt had no use, I was stating that it was a previous interface that had it's time, but no longer serves a majority of Windows users needs as well as the Windows GUI.

Concepttool I have been saying this same exact thing. I dont see how it is very hard to allow the old interface work. We can have 5 axis programs but not the old tree interface option on the right side, to allow better navigation when you get tired of trying to decipher the icons. I wish they would throw that in along with the new features and bam you would hear about 90% of the complaining come to a end. And old and new users will be able to maintain there speed...

Jim

quote:

why not allow the interface to be switched back and forth like MS lets you with XP

Initially, the word on the streets was that you *would* have that option. CNC Software apparently decided that they didn't want to do that. We're kinda left with one option. Until Mastercam becomes an open source project, we'll just have to deal with it. I'm just thankful that they *do* ask our opinions here. cheers.gif

Thad

I look forward to learning X and I understand not everything I have learned since V7 is gettin thrown out the window just with the current work load I don;t have the time to play with this and am working on creating time to get some basic training and will wing it from there just at this company it is a small shop and I was brought in because they had no one who knew cnc mastercam or surfacing so I take care of all 3 of those. Right now we are lookin at adding more machines which will get me operators but until the big wigs in the office see just how much they were losing outsourcing all this work its hard for me to convince them to shut this department down for a couple days to send me to In House to get the head start with this new version especially since they have been losing all this profit for so long now. In a perfect world would love the solid model training too but just as this post was a 9 vs X comparisson with me being able to surface everything they have asked getting them to write a cheque to get me the solid or X training is hard cause I am gettin the work done.

quote:

I don't know what's with the Ctrl+o(the letter).

I mapped Origin to AltR and it works fine, there must be a bug with Alt o (the Letter)

cheers.gif

I emailed QC about Ctrl+O for origin

[ 01-03-2006, 04:22 PM: Message edited by: DavidB ]