Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

back to 9-for now

Elad

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you go into the keymapper >> constuction attributes

You can set a keystroke combo there to set your contruction color

HTH

I dunno why we had resurect this thread to ask this question

I guess you're right that the question wasn't worth resurecting the thread, but in attempting to impliment the answer I believe I've come across something that is.

**** Warning: Interface rant ****

[begin rant]

It would make the most sense for "color" to be assigned to ctrl-C or alt-C, but those are already in use for c-hooks and copy. My next choice would be ctrl-O or alt-O, but those are origin select and operations manager toggle. I could put it on L, but I might want to reserve that for two (only two, out of five possible?) methods of line creation. The problem is that these hotkeys are not context sensitive, they are always active. The v9 method allowed unlimited functions, vX has a theoretical maximum of 2 X the number of characters on the keyboard but many of those are not useful. In addition, their organization is not congruent with the thought process of the human mind. A computer can remember each item in a lookup table no matter how it's organized. The human mind works far better if things are categorized.

I would like to see someone try to set a hotkey for every function available in Mastercam X, and then see if they can remember even half of them.

I've been using X exclusively for a couple of months now, and trying to be patient and change myself to match the software. I'm keystroking around the menu starting with the alt key, but I hate it. Why should I have to hit alt before doing anything? What purpose does it serve? The old interface was one of the main things that made me prefer Mastercam over all of the other software. It was industrial software, designed to get the job done quickly and efficiently. Every function was only a few keystrokes away. Making things easier for the beginner often makes them more difficult for the expert.

Now keep in mind that this isn't a rant against Mcam X as a whole, just this iconophyllic interface. I'm liking the features, just not the method of getting to them.

One simple change would make me much happier: Don't make me have to press the alt key to get into the menus. I know it's "windows standard interface", but most windows programs are designed for some sort of text manipulation. In that case alt means "I'm done entering text, now I want to enter a command." In Mcam, entering text is the exception, and the software already knows when those exceptions are. Entering commands should be the default mode, making the alt press unneeded.

In addition, I don't like this business of requiring significant customisation in order to achieve efficient use. This means that if I sit down in front of someone elses McamX I won't know the interface. Worse than not having it do what I want it to do, it will do things that I don't want it to do since those keys may have been assigned to some other function.

[end rant]

everyone uses it differently for different things.

You just cannot put out a single interface and shove it down everyones throat. Do that and you'll be done.

ALL of the big CAM system are hugely customizable, that is for a reason. It might all seem like hooey to some but we are all single customers. CNC is trying to please a broad sector of the industry.

If choice is a bad thing, there's always Bobcam.

Food for thought ,maybe CNC software could and should extend the maint fees we have already paid waiting on X at least 1 yr.I thinks this would go a long way in help transission and learning (and feeling)curve going to X. I see from this form that paying for maint. and the way X is at this time has people feeling that they has be take advantive of.

I want to use X but like others I can,t find the time to.I olso know that it will be good in time.

I SURE AGREE WITH THIS.

"everyone uses it differently for different things."

One person may use a screwdriver for turning screws, another as a prybar, and another as a scraper, or a punch, or... The handle (user interface) should still provide a comfortable yet firm grip.

I'm not against allowing cusomization, I'm against *requiring* customization.

The maintainance fees don't bug me. I don't pay them, the company does. What bugs me is not being able to do my job as efficiently as I might.

I use X every day. Somethings are a pain like no hot keys. But the contour project is great. Wish I still had "setdirs". But rotating a part when verfiying is great. posts are great in X everything in 1 place. Ya'll don't give up on X yet. I still have 9.1 on my box but I only use it to open ver. 8 or older.

i have been using x-mr1 for 3 months now and my first impressions still are right, icons s!!! and it is slower than 9.1. that being said i'm not going back to 9.1 just wait till they fix all the bugs and bad logic. i wish mc would not try to redesign the world in one release, that is where most of the problem comes in, they forgot what they learned in the past to "start new". and all those who say customization is the key are wrong. i could get anything done in 9 without customizing, i don't want to have to redesign the interface to use it, what if i go to another computer, i'll be lost, try teaching someone on a different computer with different customization. customization is a great additional fiture, but it should not be needed for all applications. why did they have to take out naming of the program within the toolpath interface! i stick with mastercam because it lets me write the toolpath how i want it, they added a lot of great features, but this new interface is not faster, and it will be a while before they get all the bugs and bad setups worked out. just needed to vent, i hated to see a logical setup thrown out the window to start new.

quote:

Is anybody listening who can make a difference.

You are the only one who can make a difference in your learning.

If you can't or won't, no one or nothing CAN help you.

No training either right?

I am so tired of hearing this worn out whine.

13_1_210.gif

cheese with your whine jmparis......Me personally i wont go back to 9.1 unless i have to... X took some time getting use to but i customized the interface to my liking. My coworkers and i agree X is far better than 9.1....maybe spend more time in X less time complaining... thought we were over this. bonk.gif