Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

back to 9-for now

Elad

After almost 3 month working 100% with X, i decided to go back to 9 for now.

The user interface has still a lot of problems and i think it takes more time to program at X then at 9.

i gave X its time.at the last 3 monthes i gave it a chance, i worked only with X and i got used to it, and it has some cool options.but i still think the 9 is faster.

Will wait for the maintanence to come.

smile.gif

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. I find it truely faster in 9, at least for now. Sometimes Im not sure if its a bug or Im not just that good at it. The trick I find most often is to get use to the steps or methods. One day... In a land far away..... We will all say, Man I remember when I use to use version 9. Imagine that. Someday....

It was really hard for me to admit to myself that 9 is just more practical for now.

I said to myself that i'm the problem and that i have to get used to this version.but the thing is i got used to it.and still 9 is better.

i'm talking about the small things that makes my life hard with X.

I have been using X for a while now, but when it come to speed and bug free programming 9 is still much faster..

Some of the new features in X are nice, but it seems like I spend a lot of time chasing the red arrow, deleting when undo will not undo, returning objects that mysteriously move in "change levels", Ect. Ect. banghead.gif

For now, I will keep using both....

tongue.gif

I also dont like the fact I have to argue with software about my machine def and controler. WTF ?? Im a 26yr vet toolmaker. I thinks I know what I can do and what I cannot on a machine.

draw a line in design mode and try and toolpath it like in V9 or before.

Speed is what sells guys, not how fast you can click on little tiny picture icons. if you can memorize what they are that is

What gives with the Toolpath associativity and operation regen ability in 10?

If I have a circle broken into arcs and change the dia of the circle by offsetting contour in 10

It will not regen without re-selecting "chaining " the geometry,,, a huge time waste.

In 9 it remembers where the operation geometry and usually regens with little to no problem,

perhaps reverse toolpath or change sides on a

transform rotate.

Now if the circle remains unbroken it retains the info to properly regen the item..

I can get arround this by arranging the post to always break arcs ,, herin lies my problem

The shop I work at is used to always breaking the arcs that they contour as a matter of habit,,

Is breaking this habit the only way to retain the

circle operation regen-ability? Lol

It would seem so ,,

Thanks sorry for any spelling errors that are above as I am in a hurry " no excuse I know "

Wally

I like some of the features of X. I don't get to use it much though because I don't have the time to really devote to learning where all of the functions have been moved. Once I do learn I still don't think I will ever be as fast in X as I am in 9.1 using the hot keys.

But maybe I'm wrong and after using X for a couple of years Maybe I'll be back to being just as quick as I am now.

Only time will tell.

I finally bit the bullet and did toolpathing on a job today in X instead of 9.

First time messing with X that everything went off without a hitch. I usually bail and run back to 9 the first sign of trouble on a job.

But I always give X a shot at doing a job first if I have the time.

This time I had 'nary a single CRASH!!! Woot!!

X+ Setup sheets looked Great!

Posting was perfect.

Verify was great, I love the new backplot, good job guys.

I have no doubt, by the time MR4 rolls around, I will be using X more than 9.

But I have no problem going back to 9 when X fails to preform.

I never expected it to be any diffrent.....

Is X better?......Yes

Is X faster?.......No, not at this time. But I think it could and probably will be with a little tweaking.

quote:

i haven't done much more than play in

I spent some time getting a good grasp on control and machine definitions and really like what was done there, but I haven't done any real work with X yet.

And I will not use X for real work until picking points is once again sane, that is until I can key in e for endpoint, m for midpoint, etc instead of using pull down snaps from the ribbon bar. And no, autocursor is not acceptable for me. I've been using CAD software (mostly Cadkey) that offers autocursor for nearly a decade, and I never have nor will I ever like using it.

I've got some other issues with X that mostly revolve around too much mouse clicking vs the keyboarding we were able to do in previous versions (I've been using Mastercam since v3 in 1992) but I'm not going to rehash that which others have already posted about.

As it stands now, I'm interested in seeing what MR1 is going to offer, and if I don't like it as I suspect I won't, I'll be taking up my employers offer for Cimatron E 7.0 training.

I've made myself use X since I got it. V9 is fastyer by far. I miss my single keystrokes. The biggest thing about X I don't like is having MD and CD. If I program a job for one of our machines then the Production Manager asks me to give him a program for a diiferent machine because of machine loading in V9 select post re-post done to easy less than a minute. In X????

The thing I like most about X is being able to have 1 file for Milling and Lathe ops on a part.

Merry Xmas all cheers.gifcheers.gif

Mastercam X MR1/SP2 should have been the first release of Mastercam. It has fixed a lot of problems from the public beta release of X in July. However, I have to agree with most of the comments in this thread. I've spent many hours with X and learned the interface, but find it takes a whole lot more mouse clicks to get the job done now than before. Some tasks, that would benefit from preselection, same me time, but those tasks are about 1% of my work. With X, many of the features of V-9, I no longer have. No reverse post, custom C-Hooks no longer work, can't open a V-9 file with dirty operations (it will crash X when you try to regen the ops), no keystroke autocursor override, functions like Create Line Tangent at Endpoint are broken (if you can get the line created through some effort, it's not really tangent), the deletion of the mask column in the levels manager that changes column settings when switching between V-9 and X, etc.

There's a whole lot of good changes in X, but I don't consider it a production tool at this point. Maybe next year with X2 and some careful listening to the users by CNC Software, we'll have something that we can use like we use V-9 today. Meanwhile back at the V-9 farm... rtfaq.gif

I have used it a little.I do all my work in 9.1 because I dont have the time to figure stuff out.

Then I get home with the 2 rugrats,and I have no time to myself for learning!!!

For some of you,you may have all the time in the world to write programs at work,but for me,I gutta keep 30 machines going and 9 is the only way right now!!

There are some very basic things in the backplot that they can't even get right(specifically in lathe)that just turns my stomach,so for now,I am sticking to V9.

Sorry.....

Interesting thread this one and it is not only mastercam who suffers from these teething issues.

For example my company uses Catia V5 for all design worldwide. Currently I am using as per head office specs V5 R13 SP7. Our next upgrade will be to R15 but not until SP7 is available.

Personally I think that CNC is on the right track the machine def thing is a pain at the moment but my hunch (And no I do not have inside info) is that it is there for a longer term goal, perhaps machine simulation or something similar.