Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

back to 9-for now

Elad

I also am using V9.1 only and only expeimenting in X when I have time. My customer jobs come first and software changes second.

It is too much transition for the time I have available and too much gamble for me at this point. I suspect CNC will get X ironed out after time and a half and then I will be more than willing to work with it. I am definitely looking forward to that time. In the meantime I will keep paying maintenance and hope for the best.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Using V9.1 here as well. I play a bit with X trying to learn. However, the jobs have to come first. Plus, I compounded the problem by buying Solidworks a couple months before X came out. So as I try to learn Solidworks and transition to X it is a bit overwhelming.

Moto teh only can learn so much at a time

Cheers

quote:

So you have already accepted failure before you tried it?

We've got 6 people on two shifts using 4 seats of Mastercam and the general consensous is that vX requires *more* work than v9 to get the same results. 4 of the 6 have been using vX full time since September, 1 falls back to v9 occasionally when under the gun, and like I said I've used vX enough to get a good grasp on machine / control definitions and the flow of the operations manager. The others have just accepted that since vX is the direction the software is going they're just going to have to get used to the extra work. I refuse to take that position on principle alone.

So my question to you is, why should I accept CNC Software's failure to improve the efficency of Mastercam when I have viable, if not better alternatives at my disposal?

quote:

So my question to you is, why should I accept CNC Software's failure to improve the efficency of Mastercam when I have viable, if not better alternatives at my disposal?

CNC Software's Failure? If its a failure why are there several members here that use it exclusively to program? Maybe you should just jump ship and use the other you have since it is a BETTER ALTERNATIVE!!! I would never have been using Mastercam to start with if there was something better.

That reminds me a Cimatron story :

They had similar to ver9 IT version (Windows console application ,first version was used on Unix Mainframe and it has very old-stylish look ,but simple and fast and native Windows Elite version .

People simply refused to migrate to it .

Slow ,buggish and etc.

It took them a good couple of years and radical change to program and interface ,adding a lot of features to give people a reason.

Still in some fields it has no full functionality of IT .

This happens now with X too.

No full functionality ,slow and ....

It will take a good couple of years to give people a reason ,including myself .

I can prove my words any time .

I can challenge anyone to compete against me with my custom interface for Ver9 against me with his custom clicky buttons and sketcher and all other whistles anytime .

Ver X though has some nice features ,but still when I need to do work fast I use ver9 ,no time to play when you need to do work fast and good !

36_1_55.gif

quote:

I can challenge anyone to compete against me with my custom interface for Ver9 against me with his custom clicky buttons and sketcher and all other whistles anytime .

Ver X though has some nice features ,but still when I need to do work fast I use ver9 ,no time to play when you need to do work fast and good !

36_1_55.gif

quote:

You still running win 3.11 too?.....Guaranteed X is faster, you wanna keep using your keyboard to run windows like in DOS too?. Your tring to say for example you can create a simple drawing faster by having to backup constantly to get to harizontal,vertical,polar and so on in 9 than have it in the ribbon bar in X, no way cant be faster in 9

quote:

Where you located BuB ?

I see it all the time, people dont like change, no offense to anyone but especially older guys. People become creatures of habit, seems when it comes to change once you show them a few things & it unlocks some doors they've put up they go "Oh that is easier". People get defensive right away when theres change not offensive and take the bull by the horns

~~~~~~~~~~~~

people dont like change, no offense to anyone but especially older guys.

~~~~~~~~~~

True .

But who told the new ways are faster ?

Or you don`t need old ways ?

What I say is this :

Ver 9 will stay de-facto for many years the version ,that many people prefer for some very sound reasons ,CNC Software will continue to make upgrades for it ,and Ver X will become faster and better ,so ,that in couple of years some people like me will have a reason to COMPLETLY MIGRATE TO IT .

Or I WILL HAVE NO OTHER WAY.

Now I simply see no reason to do it.

take some complex 2,5 axes work and draw the part and make it

I will draw it faster ,JMHO ,simply because I

feel that sketcher and other things demands too much clicks and you need to disperce your attention all over the screen ,while in ver 9 with keyboard I will be superfast

This is my humble oppinion ,at least I tested myself against myself ,and I am not new to X .

I can not allow to myself to play with X for a week or two only to approach my speed in ver9 ,what to do if I am oldtimer ,that prefer keyboard .

BR

Just a note:

I saw a few people post that they like hotkeys in V9. Try kustomizing yur keys in X. The main bummer is that it needs to be a combination of keys.

With customized keys, right click menu configured, and machine defs set up properly I can match my speed in V9.

Using X exclusively, although most of the time I'm not pressed for time.

Budgie

As far as the machine defs go, I did heard that it is the intention of CNC software to have machine simulation. I believe you see your machine on screen like with Esprit.

http://www.dptechnology.com/Products/Home_...rn_Overview.htm

quote:

I see it all the time, people dont like change, no offense to anyone but especially older guys. People become creatures of habit, seems when it comes to change once you show them a few things & it unlocks some doors they've put up they go "Oh that is easier". People get defensive right away when theres change not offensive and take the bull by the horns

Well I am 32, and I love change. Every new version of windows I dove right in. Any new version of mastercam I dove right in. On x I only got to try out the demo they had to download. And I still fiddle with it. But by no means can you out do a competent programmer in 8 or 9.

How can you claim that the mouse in 10 will out do a combo mouse and keyboard clicks in 8 or 9? We are distibuting the input load for mastercam between 2 mediums. Where as x sees to be forcing it into the mouse only. Great idea in theory, but I for one can read faster what I need to pick rather than trying to decipher what little picture icon I needed to make the enitity to create.

Now does x have some cool features? **** yea, they have some great ideas ready to be used. But man if they only offered a interface to use as normal with the new features of x, I think they would have a hard hitter right off the bat. How hard would it be to have the menu tree readded back into the interface? I really do not think it should be all that hard, then the hard core users of keyboard and mouse clickers will have that happy spot again. And in that form I think mastercam x will be able to overcome 9. Menu tree with the new ribbon bar for adjustability would be awesome, and I for one would be pushed to finaly go upgrade to version 10 just for that kind of familiarity. Why do I say that, Cause I know it works and is very efficient. That coupled with the new toolpaths, and features, And yummy...

I just had an IT guy install 9 for me again this morning. Been programming MasterCAM since 4.5. I've never before felt like this...I hate to say it but I'm going back till I don't have to set Autosave to 1minute in X. Maybe CNC should change X to have Autosave in seconds.

Have high hopes for MR1.

Dan

quote:

CNC Software's Failure?

Indeed. They obviously designed the software (vX)to make it more marketable at the expense of long time power users such as myself and many others I see posting here.

I honestly thought I was pretty much alone regarding my feelings towards vX, and it's good to see lots of others feel pretty much the same way. It's kind of reassuring knowing I'm not some sort of a one of a kind freak. eek.gif

quote:

If its a failure why are there several members here that use it exclusively to program?

Lots of reasons. The main one probably being they feel obligated to themselves to use the software because of the large investment they have in it whether or not they think it's better than the previous version. You know, like not wanting to admit you shelled out $13K + training (=time) for sub-optimal software for example?

quote:

I would never have been using Mastercam to start with if there was something better.

See above.

I don't know if anyone here had the pleasure of meeting Max Burgel (sorry, I think I butchered his last name) when he worked at Axsys, but I've never seen someone so fast at V9. He was the instructor at one of our classes. Not only did he know MC inside and out, he was lightning quick! I don't think many could compare to his speed in V9, let alone MCX.

Thad

quote:

You know, like not wanting to admit you shelled out $13K + training (=time) for sub-optimal software for example

My mistake... I thought I was using X cause I liked it rolleyes.gif

You may not be more productive in X, but I am

and so are many other people who use it.

You have paid your money and are entilted to your

opinions, but spare us the grandios proclaimations about sub-optimal software.

[ 12-22-2005, 01:21 PM: Message edited by: gcode ]

quote:

Well I am 32, and I love change. Every new version of windows I dove right in. Any new version of mastercam I dove right in. On x I only got to try out the demo they had to download. And I still fiddle with it. But by no means can you out do a competent programmer in 8 or 9.

How can you just "fiddle with it" and assume its no better?....you've never been trained on it and have no idea how to use it yet so how can you make any assumption whether its better or worse?

If you had to stand in front of a 5 axis machine and figure it out it'd be a piece of $hit too i bet. When people dont get trained on things there gonna strugle, softwares no different.

I think the switch to the new interface was long overdue i think like anything else in life, were gonna see some people get left behind just like years ago when guys swore by there old manual machines when the NC's came along but hey thats the way it goes.

Whats funny is you can do a search and go back thru some old posts and look all these features people wanted in mastercam and there not possible with the old interface,now that there possible with the new interface people wanna bitch, you just cant have it all, you gotta give some to take some, you get the features but you gotta do with this interface