Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Tapping Help Please

RACINGCONVERTERS

Hey Guys;

I am breaking stuff again. I am tapping three 5/16"-18 holes in 7075 AL .625 deep, I used a letter "f" drill .775 deep. I ran the tap at 270rpm and 15.ipm and the tap broke on the second hole first part so I have around 600 more holes to tap. Oh yeah the tap is a morse high proformance spiral flute bottoming tap.

Castrol clearedge 6519 coolant around 6%

Valenite quick change rigid tap holder

Okuma mc-v4020 with rigid tap

Help Please!!! confused.gif

We tap in 7075 all the time using the semi-synthetic fluid we use for everything else - no biggy. Spiral taps work great when you need to tap a blind hole. The only thing I can see is that you might not be running your tap fast enough. High performance taps are designed to run pretty fast. Ask you tool rep for recomended feeds and speeds. Had a similar problem running 6-40 threads and all started going good when we got things up to speed.

quote:

Well if it we me I would go with the thread milling operation. Harvey makes a tool for the spefic depth.

We are doing more and more threadmilling, we use harvey tools for all our sc threadmills, they work well, 1 pass is all you need with them so it isnt much slower then tapping, and you get a better thread that you can adjust. Harvey tools also makes a realy nice inserted threadmill for larger threads, and od threads. we got a couple 6-32's a few months back, I just seen on the site they go down to 2-56

Ron,

Your right my family owned the shop where I started and was 95% aerospace. These holes are all to tool up on so all I need is a good thread. The company can not wait 10 more weeks for material to be made so I am having to improvise.

TMALENA

I am using G284

Jeff

I also ordered a regular bottom tap wiht the roll form

I will let you know more tomorrow. I picked up all the tools tonight when I got off.

Thanks for everthing

roll tap the hole. I broke taps for years on our old Okuma till I switched. It's been a few years but you can peck tap that control. call out the G284 on the next line and include the X and Y locations again as well as the deeper depth. I think that's how I got it to work.

I tap 5/16 full thread .800 deep in all my fixtures. Roll tap

You might also need to start the tap further away from the face of the part. I had the same problem until I started my tap about .5 from the face of the part. This gives the spindle time to sycronize with the movement of the z axis.