Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Dealing with "Prima Donna" Operators

Guest SAMCRO

I'd love some input from others on this issue.

Like most of you here with experience, I've done all the machining that I currently program now.

For the past year I've been dealing with a real pain-in-the-@ss operator.

He's an ornery 56 year old Croatian.

Nothing but old-world thinking when it comes to machining and constatntly questioning everything because he's lazy.

I finally had enough of him yesterday and told him that there is nothing wrong with the latest program. Set it up and run it.

I refused to change it per his insane request.

I told he is not the boss and that his job is to set it up and run it.

I offered to show him both how and why it works and how to set it up if he needed me to.

He stormed off saying he wasn't going to run the machine anymore and wanted to go back to running a a knee mill with an Anilam.

I said "Fine, I'll be glad to get you a pacifier as well if you'd like it".

I'm letting the production manager deal with him from now on.

Any thoughts on my "bedside manner". biggrin.gif

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wish I could do that. All's I ever here is why didn't you do it like so & so. Well for a starter Mr. so & so runs a different software, and it's not always possible to do things exactly the same as him. Boy that's the only thing that s_cks about my job, every thinks they can do it better.

Fire em!

edit:/ I am sorry you have to deal with people like this but it is very common in machine shops. I have lost patience with idiots like this. I just do something drastic.....Fire em, Quit, I could think of other things...

edit again:/ Sorry Saipem, you hit my weak spot. I just have had these same problems so many times. What you are supposed to do it get with the appropriate people and work it out. It just never seems to work though. I guess one must just try and try.

Mike

[ 09-08-2006, 10:22 AM: Message edited by: Michael Whitten ]

You've got to find a way to work with a guy like that. If you don't one of you will either get fired or quit, but at every shop there is a guy like that. So the next move won't necessarily be better.

As much as I hate to admit it, Lazy and outspoken operators have made me a better programmer. (this is a programmers only forum right? I'd hate to say that in front of any of 'em) biggrin.gif

I have the same problem at my work too. Every program I write I have to make sure everything is perfectly golden, even if I have a spelling mistake in my notes I hear it. I blew up at him once and it was a waste of time. He's not happy untill he changes something in my program to save the world until he puts his cape on another day.

I've been on both sides of this issue. CNC machinist for 10 yrs., machinist/programmer for 8 yrs, fulltime programmer for 7 yrs.

One thing I've learned is, as a programmer, our job is to support the shop. The better we do our job, the more spindle time the machine will have. Turning spindles is where we make our money.

Another thing I learned as a machinist was to avoid changing things for my personal preference. It only adds time to my set-up, and the next person to run it is going to change it to suit his personal preferences anyway, so why bother. If the machine likes the code, that's good enough for me.

Continuing this thinking as a programmer, if a set-up man wants me to make ANY changes whatsoever, I evaluate the situation on a case-by-case basis. If the operator has a good point I will change the program for him. If he is just applying his personal preference, I stick to my guns and tell him I can't re-program the job differently for each operator and he'll just have to run it like it is. If there is a real problem the process can be modified for ease of manufacturing, but not to cater to a personal whim.

A very important rule to remember is to avoid being arrogant or letting your ego keep you from making the right decision. Attitude kills.

The guy wouldn't make it in my shop....

I'm the only one what gets to be a prima donna!

And I'm not. There are always a couple ways to make a part. But the guy that has to have the program his way or has to have the last word just ain't gonna make it in my shop

Just had to tell a guy that very thing this morning. PUSH THE F_KKIN BUTTON!!!!!

Jim

quote:

I think your bedside manner is perfect. If the request is good, and it is worth the time to implement, then go for it. Otherwise PUSH THE F_CKING BUTTON

Thanks for that.

That's exactly what I try to do.

Sometimes it's necessary as certain fixtures or tooling isn't available.

This one just pushed me over the edge.

He simply didn't like setting Z0.0 from the center of rotation on a rotary table.

We have the both types here. Ones that will complain about silly things, and the ones that have no idea what is going on and push the button then walk away.

Personally, I prefer the ones that complain because at least you know they are paying attention.

I haven't had to deal with someone like that in a while though. The old school guys are pretty far down in the pecking order and tend to not last long here unless they stay quiet.

I would have behaved the same way if someone threw a fit about setting Z at smile.gif center rotation.

I am personally very fond of our operator. He's really a swell guy. I highly recommend him[me]. biggrin.gif

------------------------------------------

quote:

I've been on both sides of this issue. CNC machinist for 10 yrs., machinist/programmer for 8 yrs, fulltime programmer for 7 yrs.

John,

That's a riddle! Let's see, you've been a full-time programmer for 7 years. But the rest of the info can leave one scratching their head. headscratch.gif

How long were you a machinist? And how many years total have you worked in this profession? Or is it 25 years total? If so, that would explain it.

Just playing, John. But for some reason I have to know! LOL

I worked as an operator as well before becoming a programmer so I've been on both sides too. biggrin.gif

In one place I worked we had programmer and a setup man who would work together to write the program, set up the machine, and run a first article for QC acceptance. The operator didn't touch the job until after first piece acceptance. They were both highly experienced guys and I learned much from them. Chances were pretty good that they had the most efficient way of doing the job already figured out looooong before the operator ever got near it. wink.gif

The setup guy had a few favorite expressions for the newbie operators who liked everything their own way. My favorites were:

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it...now shut up and cut it!"

and

"A blind monkey could get good parts from this setup...so what's your excuse?"

biggrin.giftongue.gif

I used to have a coworker who described this kind of activity as "like a pack of dogs around a fire hydrant, all having to xxxx on it to leave their scent." This pretty well described 99% of the activity at the Shipyard we were working at.

Like some others, our engineer, programmer, setup guy, and operator are fairly harmonious.

Be careful, this is a very slippery and frustrating slope.

A wise indian cheif once told me that an operator and a programmer who don't work together, make scrap together.

Do your best to take the high road. Being a professional will pay dividends in the long run.

The best way to avoid conflict is to communicate as much as possible, who knows both parties may learn a thing or two if willing.

Good luck!